This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is the problem just Mono's poor behavior of the .NET SerialPort class, or is it something bigger? I've patched Mono in the past to fix the SerialPort behavior, and I'd consider trying it on this box if that would be likely to solve the problem.

For the M1XEP, I've had two of them die on me in the last 4 years. I get the impression that the hardware is electrically fragile, and it didn't seem worth it to buy a new one every couple of years when the only feature I use is remote access, and my Homeseer box is only a foot away.
    The problem is that I don't have an Linux system with a serial port to test with. I also think it's related to the use of Com:1 (the windows style format). If you have any experience with Linux and Serial ports, I would be happy to talk to you.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I agree that the XEP is a expensive piece of outdated junk. That is unless you need to have it host the connection to multiple home automation system. It is still nice to do be able to host one to many connections.

PI2 with serial connection would probably be much better.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

I think a device like the Global Cache IP2SL or the iTach Flex with the serial option should also work with the UltraM1G3 plug-in.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

True. Might even be a better turnkey system than the PI.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
            I think a device like the Global Cache IP2SL or the iTach Flex with the serial option should also work with the UltraM1G3 plug-in.

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Ahh, I didn't realize that network mode could just use a generic IP-serial converter. I've solved my problem by using 'socat' to route my Linux serial port to a TCP socket, and then having UltraM1G3 use the network socket instead of trying to use the serial port directly. Everything appears to work.

In case anyone else is trying to make this work, here's a socat command line that puts serial port /dev/ttyS0 onto port 8000:

stty -F /dev/ttyS0 115200 sane raw -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
            socat OPEN:/dev/ttyS0 TCP-LISTEN:8000

With that running, you can have UltraM1G use network mode pointing to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and port 8000.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X