Interfacing Vista 20P to HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interfacing Vista 20P to HS

What do I need to connect and monitor my system via HS?

There's more than one way, but I have two 20Ps integrated using Envisalink EVL-4 hardware interfaces (1 per panel) and spud's EnvisalinkAdemco plugin. Works great.

The other way I'm aware of uses the AD2USB interface and a different plugin. I believe it requires a direct USB connection between the panel / AD2USB and your HS3 server. I'm not at all familiar with that system however.
    -Wade

Comment

The Vista Alarm plugin (mnsandler) interfaces through the AD2USB, which HomeSeer sells: https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/nutech-ad2usb

I've been using this for around 4 years. It works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        There's more than one way, but I have two 20Ps integrated using Envisalink EVL-4 hardware interfaces (1 per panel) and spud's EnvisalinkAdemco plugin. Works great.

The other way I'm aware of uses the AD2USB interface and a different plugin. I believe it requires a direct USB connection between the panel / AD2USB and your HS3 server. I'm not at all familiar with that system however.
        Wade,
        Thanks for the info. That's probably the way I'll go, I already have an Envisalink (not installed). I like Mark's Insteon plugin, but if it only works with the AD2USB I don't want to buy more hardware.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMcM1956 View Post

Wade,
          Thanks for the info. That's probably the way I'll go, I already have an Envisalink (not installed). I like Mark's Insteon plugin, but if it only works with the AD2USB I don't want to buy more hardware.

Mike
          FWIW, I've incorporated a number of HA monitoring devices as zone type 23 (no alarm response) on my panels. I use partition 2 for them, although they'd work in either. E.g., $12 microwave motion sensors for occupancy in garage (I've had issues with PIR responsiveness in the heat), current sensor on clothes dryer circuit, door contacts for light control independent of security monitoring, etc. Basically opens up your 20P (and 3 expansion modules scattered about the house in my case) as dry contact inputs for just about anything you want to monitor in HS.

Another thing, as you may know your Vista motion sensors won't function for HA purposes when the system is armed stay. That is, unless they're configured as zone type 23 - no alarm response in which case they don't serve your burglar alarm. There's also a work-around where you configure them as standard motion zones in partition 2 and only arm partition 2 when the house is empty, but having to manually arm both partitions seemed to fiddly to me. If you automate arming then it's less an issue.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

Another thing, as you may know your Vista motion sensors won't function for HA purposes when the system is armed stay.
            that's one nice thing about the AD2USB. it captures the RF messages from wireless MSs regardless of the panel state. My vista alarm plugin allows you to create a virtual rf device, and use it in HS. These rf messages have almost no latency unlike the standard panel messages, so you can use it to trigger lights, etc.

Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
            Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post

that's one nice thing about the AD2USB. it captures the RF messages from wireless MSs regardless of the panel state. My vista alarm plugin allows you to create a virtual rf device, and use it in HS. These rf messages have almost no latency unlike the standard panel messages, so you can use it to trigger lights, etc.
              Dang it Mark, now I'm back to square one. Not sure that I should be that concerned, I only have one MS in my Vista system, in the living room pointing towards the front door. It'll basically catch anyone trying to come in through a window downstairs, since all the doors are already on switches. Not sure that integrating it into HS gains me much, but change my mind. What other advantages does the AD2USB offer over Envisalink? I can always sell it and pick up an AD2 if it makes the most sense. Also, what are the differences between your plugin and the one from Spud?

Comment

I don't have any comparison information of the interfaces or plugins. the alarmdecoder.com website is the best place for technical info about the AD2USB

here is what I support with the AD2USB:
                - All standard panel messages to track zone activity (normal, fault, check, low battery)
                - RFX messages (these are wireless messages from any wireless device)
                - Virtual Relay modules (allows you to use external HA triggers as a zone on the alarm)
                - Long Range Radio emulation (allows you to know which user code/ID armed/disarmed the system)

here is what my plugin supports:
                - all vista alarm models
                - multiple panels via multiple plugin instances
                - multiple partitions
                - all arming modes (away, stay, instance, maximum, night, etc)
                - monitors ac power loss
                - monitors low battery
                - monitors telco loss

Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
                Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Working...
                X