Not Responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
    that does stink. i was hoping the choke would be the magic bullet.

can you tell me the mfr name of the usb chipset you have on the computer side of the ad2usb connection.

I added a usb expansion card based on the NEC usb chipset and have had no problems with disconnects. But the internal intel usb chipset i started with would drop the connection daily.

I am trying to solve this disconnect issue as well. HS is able to run for about 24 hours before the following message pops up in my log and I need to reboot the whole system

2/2/2011 6:23:41 PM Vista Alarm Error: System.InvalidOperationException: The port is closed. at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(String text) at HSPI_VISTAALARM.VistaAlarm.SendCmd(String CmdStr) at HSPI_VISTAALARM.HSPI.SendToAlarm(String CmdStr, String CmdName, String SecurityCode) [1.2.0.0]
    What exactly is the fix for this? This thread has a lot of suggestions but appears as though there is no solid fix. As far as I can tell from reading over everything.

The trick that seems the best from what I can gather is getting a usb 1.1 expansion card or hub. Are you able to link to a specific model expansion card or hub that is known to work?

Right now I am using 18/4 unshielded wire to connect the ad2usb to the panel and 18/2 unshielded lamp cord to power the panel. I am going to replace all my cables powering the panel and the wires going to the wireless keypad, siren, etc, with shielded cable here in the next day or so. So no cables plugging into my panel should be unshielded here shortly. The usb side of the ad2usb I have a 4 foot usb cable plugging directly into my computer. I was going to go get a usb hub but all I can find easily is usb 2.0 versions.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkme View Post
      I am trying to solve this disconnect issue as well. HS is able to run for about 24 hours before the following message pops up in my log and I need to reboot the whole system

What exactly is the fix for this? This thread has a lot of suggestions but appears as though there is no solid fix. As far as I can tell from reading over everything.

The trick that seems the best from what I can gather is getting a usb 1.1 expansion card or hub. Are you able to link to a specific model expansion card or hub that is known to work?

Right now I am using 18/4 unshielded wire to connect the ad2usb to the panel and 18/2 unshielded lamp cord to power the panel. I am going to replace all my cables powering the panel and the wires going to the wireless keypad, siren, etc, with shielded cable here in the next day or so. So no cables plugging into my panel should be unshielded here shortly. The usb side of the ad2usb I have a 4 foot usb cable plugging directly into my computer. I was going to go get a usb hub but all I can find easily is usb 2.0 versions.
      there is no silver bullet here because everyone's setup is different. you might also try finding the cause of the noise: one user narrowed it down to his washing machine, another user realized the his data cables were too close to power cables.

let us know what you find/how you resolve your problem
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Anyway you could post what model USB 1.1 expansion card/hub you are using or others are using? So if my rerouting and shielding of cables doesn't work I have a route to go. :-D

Also you mention a user figured out it was his washing machine. How did he figure that out? What is the best test you can do on the wires to trace down the noise? Or should I just unplug stuff until it works?

Tyty for the quick reply

Comment

Anyway you could post what model USB 1.1 expansion card/hub you are using or others are using? So if my rerouting and shielding of cables doesn't work I have a route to go. :-D

Also you mention a user figured out it was his washing machine. How did he figure that out? What is the best test you can do on the wires to trace down the noise? Or should I just unplug stuff until it works?

Tyty for the quick reply
          Any USB 1.0 Hub will reduce the data rate so that the small 1-2v high frequency spikes that get through the AC into the alarm panel or PC and then finally down the USB D+/D- lines have less of an effect.

The 3v D+/D- that usb uses is very sensitive to any small spikes and could see such a spike as a real value. With the data rate of USB 1.0 slower the small spikes that get down the line do not effect the slower signals (as much).

The type of noice that can get into the alarm panel from its AC line are the ones caused by electric motors or cold contacts switches place in close proximity to your alarm panel on the same circuit. I have no exact data but I would expect that if you could avoid any devices within 10 feet of the alarm panel AC supply you would be safe. So it would need to be near by the panel to be causing problems. Again It is also possible that the noise could be coming from the PC side of things and leaking through its supply and on to the USB data lines.

The best solution for a very noisy environment is to switch to serial where the 1.5v noise does not effect the 12v signals or move to an embeded appliance and ser2sock.c where the USB chipset on the host computer is not effected by a bad packet.

Re
          Sean M

Comment

I wanted to update this thread that I did indeed finally fix my disconnect issue with my security panel. Although I am not exactly sure what I did that I fixed it, but I can say what I did do. Also if anyone is reading this thread all the way through, I never ended up using my shielded wire. I purchased about 20ft and my cat decided to pee on all over it, so I just tossed the wire. Either way here's what I changed that resulted in a working setup.

1.) I updated the firmware on the ad2usb from V2_1f_0f to V2_1f_10

2.) I updated this plugin from HSPI_VistaAlarm_1.2.0.0 to HSPI_VistaAlarm_1.2.5

3.) I'm assuming this is most likely what fixed my problem. I moved the power source powering the panel from an outlet that was sharing power with my lamp that was using an LED bulb to a power source that only the security panel used. I read on another thread somewhere that LED and fluorescent light bulbs cause alot of noise that make x10 devices freak out. I don't have any x10 devices so never ran across this issue. Had no idea most likely my culprit could have been a measly light bulb.

In the end most likely what fixed my issue was the power since all my symptoms pointed to noise on the line. I still would like to know how to check for noise on my power lines. What does one use to do something like this? Volt meter? Any one know of a good guide that teaches you how to check for noise on the line?

Comment

I wanted to update this thread that I did indeed finally fix my disconnect issue with my security panel. Although I am not exactly sure what I did that I fixed it, but I can say what I did do. Also if anyone is reading this thread all the way through, I never ended up using my shielded wire. I purchased about 20ft and my cat decided to pee on all over it, so I just tossed the wire. Either way here's what I changed that resulted in a working setup.

1.) I updated the firmware on the ad2usb from V2_1f_0f to V2_1f_10

2.) I updated this plugin from HSPI_VistaAlarm_1.2.0.0 to HSPI_VistaAlarm_1.2.5

3.) I'm assuming this is most likely what fixed my problem. I moved the power source powering the panel from an outlet that was sharing power with my lamp that was using an LED bulb to a power source that only the security panel used. I read on another thread somewhere that LED and fluorescent light bulbs cause alot of noise that make x10 devices freak out. I don't have any x10 devices so never ran across this issue. Had no idea most likely my culprit could have been a measly light bulb.

In the end most likely what fixed my issue was the power since all my symptoms pointed to noise on the line. I still would like to know how to check for noise on my power lines. What does one use to do something like this? Volt meter? Any one know of a good guide that teaches you how to check for noise on the line?
              thanks for the followup. glad everything is working.

i did find this url regarding noise and the effect on x10, but it might be useful in this situatoin as well.
              http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb0...wick/debug.htm
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
              X