Vista 128BP or DSC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista 128BP or DSC...

I own an Ademco Vista 128BP alarm system, with two 6160 Alpha keypads, and an Ademco Serial Interface Module- No. 4100SM. I haven't taken it out of the box yet - its brand new and I'm debating whether I should go with the DSC for the support and a tight integration with my Homeseer Troller.

For starters I have many questions. Has anybody tried a 4100SM Ademco serial module with Homeseer. If not, how well does the Nutech AD2USB-S2 interface work with the 128BP?

Also, are there any options with the 128BP to go wireless in cases where I may not be able to get switches/contacts installed?

Furthermore, the DSC devices that Homeseer sells like the smoke heads, CO detectors, flood detecors, etc... are those proprietary to DSC, would I have to buy those devices from Ademco/Honeywell to work with my control panel?

How well do HS events work by the alarm triggers/actions, once installed I plan on creating many events that trigger from the alarm system.

I've been holding off installing my alarm system and now that HS started carrying the DSC product line, I'm not sure which way to go. I feel the Vista may very well be a more robust alarm system - and it doesn't hurt that I already own it (less money out-of-pocket) but again, I'd rather have a system that gives me more trouble installing and less trouble functioning & working with HS.

Any advice would be very helpful and I'll thank you in advance.

This may be a case of a blind leading another blind, as I'm in the same boat as you are ().. but I will share what I've researched over the past few weeks in regards to security systems and DSC vs Ademco in particular. I've selected the Vista 128BPE, have made my purchases already but am still waiting for all the components to be delivered before I do the installation.

1. There are a few options to go wireless with the Ademco 128BP. You can get 5881ENH wireless receiver, which lets you add up to 127 (or somewhere thereabout) wireless sensors, and you can also get 6160RF keypads which comes in built-in wireless receiver. The panel supports 2 wireless receivers and you can add repeaters (5800RP) to extend the coverage if required.

2. Security sensors (motion, smoke detectors (2 & 4 wires), CO detector, etc) comes in wired and wireless versions. The wireless versions are proprietary for each platform, but the wired ones are pretty much compatible with each other. They all run on 12v and they will just close/open the contacts when triggered.

As an added note: the Vista 50p and up (including 128BP) supports v-plex (multiplex addressable nodes on 2 wires) as their main wired interface (outside of keypad, wireless receiver and siren). This is a very robust system that lets you use home run, star configuration and t-tapped wiring in any configuration.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Krameduoh View Post
      I own an Ademco Vista 128BP alarm system, with two 6160 Alpha keypads, and an Ademco Serial Interface Module- No. 4100SM. I haven't taken it out of the box yet - its brand new and I'm debating whether I should go with the DSC for the support and a tight integration with my Homeseer Troller.

For starters I have many questions. Has anybody tried a 4100SM Ademco serial module with Homeseer. If not, how well does the Nutech AD2USB-S2 interface work with the 128BP?

Also, are there any options with the 128BP to go wireless in cases where I may not be able to get switches/contacts installed?

Furthermore, the DSC devices that Homeseer sells like the smoke heads, CO detectors, flood detecors, etc... are those proprietary to DSC, would I have to buy those devices from Ademco/Honeywell to work with my control panel?

How well do HS events work by the alarm triggers/actions, once installed I plan on creating many events that trigger from the alarm system.

I've been holding off installing my alarm system and now that HS started carrying the DSC product line, I'm not sure which way to go. I feel the Vista may very well be a more robust alarm system - and it doesn't hurt that I already own it (less money out-of-pocket) but again, I'd rather have a system that gives me more trouble installing and less trouble functioning & working with HS.

Any advice would be very helpful and I'll thank you in advance.
      The 4100SM is not supported by this plugin. I have seen other 128 users on the hs forum hacking a script for the 4100SM but that doesn't sound like the direction you want.

The ad2usb supports the 128 just fine. There are several 128 users here using the plugin. I think the biggest issue with the 128 is you have to understand the panel programming to get it work with the plugin. I'm not a 128 user/expert so i can only provide guidance based on what has worked for others.

Please check out the nutech.com forum as well for 128 support.

as for the vista plugin, it will monitor all the zones, and partitions you configure. It can handle all the arming states. There are actions, triggers and conditions for just about everything. The plugin does not support any type of panel programming.

One thing to note: the vista plugin only supports about 90 zones; so if you want to monitor more than that this will be an issue. there is a 128 user here that has over 100 zones but he only monitors the first 90.

There are dozens of happy vista plugin users here.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Good information and nice to know the wireless option is there. There are a few spots, like my entry doors where I plan to use recessed contacts but would prefer to not have to remove any molding. I've had this alarm now for some time and haven't done any research so this certainly helps.

How about the interface and plugin to HS. Are you going with the Nutech? I have an Ademco serial interface 4100SM and I'm guessing (pretty positive) that it's not going to interface with the HS plugin.

Comment

I should also mentioned some of the features of the ad2usb:
          1. can emulate a Long Range Radio which then provides access to the user number who armed or disarmed the sytem. this is new and i'm adding to the plugin now. a beta will be released shortly.
          2. can emulate a zone expander. this will allow you to use any hs device to control a panel zone.
          3. there is a ad2usbgui for armchair programming of the panel
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            The 4100SM is not supported by this plugin. I have seen other 128 users on the hs forum hacking a script for the 4100SM but that doesn't sound like the direction you want.

The ad2usb supports the 128 just fine. There are several 128 users here using the plugin.

There are dozens of happy vista plugin users here.
            Thanks Mark, I suspected my serial 4100SM wasn't going to work and you just saved me many hours of trying to make it work. I almost purchased the nutech the other night. I'm out of serial ports - shy of buying a usb to serial converter so I prefer the USB connectivity anyway.

I don't see myself using more then 90 zones at this time, as my house is rather small so I'm in good shape there. I was mainly concerned with a tight integration and good support for events, triggers, etc... and it sounds rather promising.

I don't know much about alarm panels but am more than confident installing mine. However, you mentioned the Panel Programming is not supported by the plugin. What exactly would I be missing by not having this option?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions when I start the install. Fun, fun, fun...

Comment

panel programming: i don't think you will be missing anything you will just need to use some other software such as the ad2usbgui (which is a virtual keypad) from nutech.com to program the panel as opposed to standing at a keypad to do the programming.

why the 128 instead of the very popular 20p? did you need that many zones, more than 2 partitions or something else?
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I'll admit, It's much more than I need for my home. However, my brother, who knows alarm systems very well, was buying one for his house and got a great deal had he bought 2. So it was basically chosen for me.

I was looking way to deep into panel programming, thinking for some reason I'd be missing out on main features that the panel offers that wouldn't be available to HS. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Good information and nice to know the wireless option is there. There are a few spots, like my entry doors where I plan to use recessed contacts but would prefer to not have to remove any molding. I've had this alarm now for some time and haven't done any research so this certainly helps.

How about the interface and plugin to HS. Are you going with the Nutech? I have an Ademco serial interface 4100SM and I'm guessing (pretty positive) that it's not going to interface with the HS plugin.
                  I bought some wireless ion micras for recessed contacts ( http://ionsecurityproducts.com/micra.html ). They're about $25 each from Russ vandeventer.

Yes, I'm also on the ad2usb bandwagon
                  HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

I checked out those ion contacts. Pretty cool. Talk about easy installation. Have you used them yet? Do they work with the Ademco panel?

Comment

I checked out those ion contacts. Pretty cool. Talk about easy installation. Have you used them yet? Do they work with the Ademco panel?
                      I have those on order and they should come in in about a week.

They come in 4 versions (I think), DSC, 2GIG, Ademco and GE. Make sure you order the correct version for the Ademco Vistas

Comment

Working...
                      X