Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evaluating HS3 and Vista Plugin - reporting status in ARMED mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaluating HS3 and Vista Plugin - reporting status in ARMED mode?

Hi,

I am currently running VeraEdge as a HA controller and have a plugin for my Vista 20p alarm panel. It's a known fact that Vista does not report status in armed mode. As a workaround, AD2USB allows configuration of virtual relays that can be mapped to zones and status of relays are reported by the system using !REL message regardless of armed/disarmed state. So, in Vista plugin for VeraEdge I can configure those zones like RF and assign Address/Serial of 12 (for example) and Channel/Loop from 1 - 4 for each of the virtual relays. The messages that come from alarm panel look like this:

!REL:12,01,00 (no fault)
    !REL:12,01,01 (fault)

These work great for detecting motion for example from wired sensors when alarm is armed to stay. Or detecting which door was opened when alarm is armed to away.

I can't quite figure out if the same is possible with HS3 / Vista plugin. I see the !REL messages in the log (for example below I am triggering motion detector 5 times after alarm is armed to STAY):

----------
    May-05 8:40:46 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,00
    May-05 8:40:46 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,01
    May-05 8:40:46 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,00
    May-05 8:40:45 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,00
    May-05 8:40:42 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,01
    May-05 8:40:39 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,00
    May-05 8:40:36 PM Vista Alarm !REL:13,01,01
    May-05 8:40:15 PM Vista Alarm [0011030110000000----],008,[f70000051008038c28020000000000],"ARMED ***STAY***You may exit now"
    ----------

But I can't seem to find a way to configure these relay zones in HS3 plugin. Is it supported? Or HS3/Vista setup only supports reporting of wired zones in non-armed state?

Thanks.

i'll have to add this functionality. Its not currently supported
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I can represent these devices as Relay 12, Relay 13, etc with status values of Fault and Normal in Homeseer

what do you think?

can you give me some guidance on how to setup the virtual relay in the ad2usb/20p so i can test it on my end
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        I can represent these devices as Relay 12, Relay 13, etc with status values of Fault and Normal in Homeseer

what do you think?

can you give me some guidance on how to setup the virtual relay in the ad2usb/20p so i can test it on my end
        Thank you for looking into this, I really appreciate it. The setup for 20p is outlined here, which is what I followed to configure my 20p. It assumes that you don't have the actual physical relay board connected to the system - if you do, this won't work since AD2USB needs to emulate one.

http://archive.nutech.com/index.php?...catid=4&id=656

I did it a while ago, but can try to help if you'll run into any config issues. This would be a a great feature I think since this allows wired sensors status reporting in any alarm state. You can have up to 4 devices per relay and up to 4 relays - so 16 devices total. They are represented as 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 12-4; 13-1, 13-2, 13-3, 13-4, ...etc..

Thanks

Comment

I'll take look. I think most users here have wireless Motion Sensors which send RF msgs which the plugin can monitor even when the panel is armed.

what other zone types would you use with a relay that wouldn't trigger the panel when armed?
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I'll take look. I think most users here have wireless Motion Sensors which send RF msgs which the plugin can monitor even when the panel is armed.

what other zone types would you use with a relay that wouldn't trigger the panel when armed?
            Any wired zone can be used with a relay. I have a relay for each wired zone - so I can capture motion detectors (wired ones) as well as identify which door specifically triggered an alarm since door sensors are wired as well. I also have basement windows that are wired so I can tell which window was triggered and build notifications based on that. I am not sure if fire detectors could use that too or not - I don't have any wired into the system so not sure if it is any different.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ykamenet View Post
              Any wired zone can be used with a relay. I have a relay for each wired zone - so I can capture motion detectors (wired ones) as well as identify which door specifically triggered an alarm since door sensors are wired as well. I also have basement windows that are wired so I can tell which window was triggered and build notifications based on that. I am not sure if fire detectors could use that too or not - I don't have any wired into the system so not sure if it is any different.

Thank you.
              for doors and windows, you will get a Fault msg from the zone that trips the alarm. I can understand the relay connected to a wired motion sensor so you can see motion in the house when the panel is Armed Stay. But otherwise i don't understand the use case for doors and windows; do you use Bypass a lot?
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

for doors and windows, you will get a Fault msg from the zone that trips the alarm. I can understand the relay connected to a wired motion sensor so you can see motion in the house when the panel is Armed Stay. But otherwise i don't understand the use case for doors and windows; do you use Bypass a lot?
                You are correct, personally I am mostly using it for motion detectors. However, you can have internal doors that do not trip the alarm but can communicate status in armed mode, right? I don't do that, but it is a valid scenario I think.

Comment

that makes sense.

would you let me know when you plan to move forward with HS3? I don't mind adding the Relay feature, but would like to know someone is going to test/use it before i go through the effort.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Will do, thank you. Will try to make a decision before the sale ends in a few days :-) Currently testing Sonos plugin to make sure it gives me the same options as I have with Vera and trying to figure out how to hook up Amazon Echo. Hope to have enough time to test everything out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Interesting. I always wondered what the "virtual" relays where for.
                      I do have 1 zone expander / relay board. I use the relay to open/close the garage door from the keypad. Very handy.
                      DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                      BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Yea when I first got into HA and setup Vera with my 20p it was driving me nuts that I can't use my wired sensors when system is armed for "stay". Alarm sensors are usually much quicker then z-wave so that was something I really wanted to and I was faced with a choice of either adding wireless sensors in addition to wired; or switching alarm system to DSC or something. I prefer wired over wireless since you don't need to deal with batteries and they are usually a bit faster, and I didn't want to replace the panel just for that. Then I read about AD2USB adding virtual relays support in firmware specifically to address this shortcoming of Ademco/Vista panels. After I configured, I was able to use the zones in any state.

Comment

that makes sense.

would you let me know when you plan to move forward with HS3? I don't mind adding the Relay feature, but would like to know someone is going to test/use it before i go through the effort.
                          Hi Mark,

I purchased HS3 and your plugin. Currently going through setting up all devices and events. Alarm already configured so I am ready to test/help anytime, just let me know what I can do to help. Thanks.

Comment

I'll work on this feature over the weekend and let you know when I'm ready for you to test it.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I got something working. do you have some time to test something this week if i post something today?
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X