Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with Outlook 2010

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trouble with Outlook 2010

    Hi there Bob:

    I replaced my wifes computer with a new windows 8 system with outlook 2010 installed.

    I installed the client on her new machine and got that running, although I haven't gotten it to connect yet.

    What I notice when setting up the client is that the category list showing on BLOutlook and the one In Outlook 2010 is not the same. I can us the refresh button but it always comes up with the same (wrong) category list. I'm not sure where that's coming from.

    I can't quite figure this out. I guess I should start with is anyone using BLOutlook on Outlook 2010 successfully?
    Last edited by nightwalker; January 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

  • #2
    FYI: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=157680
    Jon

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh crap, it just figures

      Thanks for the reminder jon!
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

      Comment


      • #4
        While Bob's away laying on a nice beach somewhere I've been researching what could be the problem with the categories not showing up correctly

        Before I get to that I have gotten the client to run and connect, running it in compatibility mode seemed to fix whatever problem it had connecting.

        As far as the category list goes I think i know the problem. Since Outlook 2003, what i was running for many years, and the newer Outlook 2010, and 2007 i think, they moved the categories from the registry to including them in the .PST file instead. That explains why all my categories came up on the new outlook, since i imported that PST file into Outlook, but can't be seen by the BLOutlook client since it's now looking in the wrong place.

        At least it seems like a logical conclusion to me, of course I can't fix it and hopefully Bob won't be too, too tired after vacation.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

        Comment


        • #5
          Still researching this and have found a sort of work around and got it to almost work.

          Since Outlook 2010 uses the PST file to hold the category list instead of the windows registry i looked through the categories in Outlook 2010 and the categories in the BLOutlook client and found a couple that are the same. I tried using one of those and it worked to display and announce the appointment. Seems almost logical that it worked.

          I tried to directly edit the ini file on the BLClient both with the client running and not running. For some reason Windows8 will not let me edit it, I haven't quite figured that out yet.

          It does make me wonder if there isn't a far easier way to fix this than re-doing the client to look in the PST file for the categories.

          I wonder if it would be possible in the BLClient to instead of picking from a category list the client sees to just a box that you type in the categories you want to monitor?

          What do you think Bob, would that work as a fix?
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was finally was able to edit the config.ini file of the BLclient. I edited the line for the category that the client is monitoring to a category that Outlook is using but that is not picked up by the BLclient.

            It so far has worked and I'm seeing the appointments now showing in HomeSeer. To me that means that the client doesn't really need to have that list to function and were there a way to just type in the name of the category you want to use it should work.

            If after a reboot of the system the settings all stick I'll know for sure if this might be a viable solution.

            After the reboot all settings did stick and it seems that the BLClient doesn't care what category you use as long as it ends up in the config.ini file. Editing that file for what I needed has gotten me back to full functionality.

            I suspect that some update in the BLClient will be needed for future users at some point but for now my problem is solved.
            Last edited by nightwalker; February 5th, 2013, 08:08 AM.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

            Comment

            Working...
            X