Questions About Geofencing Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Geofencing Devices

Is there a way to incorporate the use of a physical GPS locater device (not a phone, but an actual dedicated unit) into PHLocation?

What I want to do is install something like this into each of my vehicles, and then somehow feed the data into PHLocation for use with HomeSeer.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-AM-GL...s=+gps+tracker

It wouldn't have to be this specific item if someone has a better recommendation, but I am looking for a starting point to get this done. I am looking to improve accuracy and performance over what I am currently getting from FollowMee installed on cell phones.

Currently there is no direct support for any particular brand of tracking devices, however the plug-in does support processing of custom data from an HTTP POST or GET request, so if you have control over the formatting of the data from a given device, then it is possible to get it working with the plug-in.

I have 4 hard-wired VTU's (vehicle tracking devices) here. These devices are capable of reporting lots of other data as well as basic position and speed etc but they use a (non user editable) proprietary protocol which requires special parsing.

Paul..

Comment

I was afraid of that. I am definitely NOT a programmer, so this is probably not something I would want to spend a bunch of money on only to find out that I wasn't able to make it work anyway.

Comment

I've been interested in adding a Spot Trace for our vehicles. That way if stolen they could be tracked much more easily than some of the other theft tracing system out there. Spot Trace allows you to trace directly on Google Maps which is very handy.

I'm not sure if they have anyway to directly access where a device is, however, they do however have the ability to send messages when the vehicle moves after sitting for a short time and also every five minutes or via email or text when it's moving.

The real use of this would be checking to see how far either of our phones are from the car when it's in motion. That way if you're in a store and the car is moved an alert could be sent to your phone that your car is moving and no know person is within say 30 meters.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Working...
        X