OpenVPN Closing on i-Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenVPN Closing on i-Phone

I am using Geofency with PHLocation and it works great except for one problem.

I'm running OpenVPN on my i-Phone and it will disconnect if the phone is sleeping for to long a period. So I can't connect to the PHLocation webserver on my HS device when this happens (trying to avoid port forwarding since I have this VPN setup).

Anyone know how to keep the OpenVPN app from closing? Is this the same problem with the i-Phone 'closing' apps once sleeping?

Thanks...
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
    I am using Geofency with PHLocation and it works great except for one problem.

I'm running OpenVPN on my i-Phone and it will disconnect if the phone is sleeping for to long a period. So I can't connect to the PHLocation webserver on my HS device when this happens (trying to avoid port forwarding since I have this VPN setup).

Anyone know how to keep the OpenVPN app from closing? Is this the same problem with the i-Phone 'closing' apps once sleeping?

Thanks...

PHLocation supports myhs these days, so you can configure GeoFency with your myhs creds and the following URL

https://connected2.homeseer.com/phlapi?dtype=GF
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      PHLocation supports myhs these days, so you can configure GeoFency with your myhs creds and the following URL

Thanks, this worked great. Appreciate your help!

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
        Thanks, this worked great. Appreciate your help!
        cheeryfool

Comment

I think Randy (rprade) mentioned that it wasn’t fast enough for him, but it’s been good enough for my needs.

I do have OpenVPN on my phone, but I haven’t tried it for a service that needs to be always on. I do use it for occasional access to things like my sprinkler controller and my webcams.
          I missed this when you posted it. MyHS is fast enough now that HS had gotten the service right. When I first tried it, MyHS was a little flaky. I am now using MyHS and it has been excellent. The advantage of direct posting through port forwarding is that you are not dependent on a cloud service, though obviously your phone and HS server have to be connected to the Internet. The advantages of using MyHS are 1) security and 2) without a static port forwarding rule, I can bring up a backup HS server in the event of a hardware failure, without having to edit forwarding rules for a new internal IP.

For now, unless I see problems, I have disabled port forwarding and configured my phones for MyHS.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I have a situation now using Geofency that I can't quite figure out what is causing it.

I noticed that my fence locations entrys and exits were not updating (phone sleeping). I woke the phone, started google maps, then all of a sudden, my location updated! It then worked for the remainder of the day.

Sometimes, the locations will not update on my way home; but, when I perform the above procedure they start working again.

Here is something interesting, no matter what the performance is (working or not), the phone ALWAYS updates when I get home (though I'm now in WiFi range).

I'm now wondering if my problem is the phone is using WiFi as a location factor, then when I leave the house it doesn't know to use GPS unless I 'wake' the GPS mode by starting Google Maps.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm using an I-Phone 6+ with latest OS.

Comment

Do you have Location Services for GeoFency set to Always and do you keep your WiFi on always? Mine works with those settings
              cheeryfool

Comment

Do you have Location Services for GeoFency set to Always and do you keep your WiFi on always? Mine works with those settings
                Yes, (I should have included that information in my previous post)

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I missed this when you posted it. MyHS is fast enough now that HS had gotten the service right. When I first tried it, MyHS was a little flaky. I am now using MyHS and it has been excellent. The advantage of direct posting through port forwarding is that you are not dependent on a cloud service, though obviously your phone and HS server have to be connected to the Internet. The advantages of using MyHS are 1) security and 2) without a static port forwarding rule, I can bring up a backup HS server in the event of a hardware failure, without having to edit forwarding rules for a new internal IP.

For now, unless I see problems, I have disabled port forwarding and configured my phones for MyHS.

Yes, I am now down to just the UDP port for OpenVPN. My other Port Fwd rules are now deleted or disabled.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                  X