Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which services offer on-demand location updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which services offer on-demand location updates?

I'm upgrading to V2 and noticed that Backitude is no longer available. Since I plan to get a new phone this year I figured I better choose a different app to make my life easier later.

One of the things I liked about Backitude was that it could monitor SMS for a specific text and then it would poll GPS and send location data back to HS. I would mark those messages as Spam so I never see them, yet Backitude still does. This allowed me to request an updated location via HS at any time.

Do any of the other services offer on-demand location updates like this? For free?

It looks like FollowMee can do on-demand, but it sounds like you need to use one of their paid plans. Anyone know for sure if that's the case?

I couldn't determine if EgiGeoZone would allow any sort of on-demand, but I also see it is no longer under development so that concerns me. Anyone know if that one supports on-demand?

iOS solutions are not an option.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

As of Jan 9th, 2019 the developer was still updating and fixing bugs EgiGeoZone.
    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

But his website seems to say he's done:

https://translate.google.com/transla...igeozone.de%2F
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Not hearing any suggestions regarding free and still maintained services or apps that allow on-demand updates, I went ahead and created a "Flow" for the Android app "Automate" to send GPS and other device data to a Custom Position device. It does so based on steals or passive GPS (when other apps request location), and also on-demand via a special phrase sent via SMS. I mark that phrase as spam on our devices so we never see the messages. It's working well so far.

Note my solution is not completely free. I already paid for the Automate app a while ago, which was a one-time fee of $4 or so. My Flow requires the paid version due to running more threads than the free version allows.

I've attached the flow in case anyone else is interested. You just need to edit the SMS Received block to limit which emails get scanned for the special phrase "Request Location Update" (or you can change the phrase), and then edit the HTTP block and enter either myHS server info, or your domain/IP and port, then finally your credentials.

The attached PDF shows the "Flow" layout in case you'd like to check before importing.

Let me know if you have any questions or difficulties.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X