Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-shot Question re "car" connections

Hi Paul,

I noticed in PHL2 you have a device called "Traccar" which I realize is not quite what I have in mind but it got me wondering:

A number of cars now have the ability to send information . My Audi has "Audi-connect" which sends information, I'm guessing to some server somewhere, which the "AudiConnect" app on my iPhone then picks up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	audiconnect.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1304599

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/CHRIST~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]The same information can be obtained by logging in to my.audi.com.

I think a number of the other higher-end car makers, like Porsche, Volvo, offer this type of service. I also discovered in the general topic discussion of this forum that someone in Norway is developing a PI to communicate with Teslas.

I found Smartcar.com has an Audi API and GitHub also has an Audi Connect API ...but I'm WAAAY in over my head here!

Is this something that could be added to PHL2? Would be neat for HS3 to notice I left the windows open and warn me it was about to rain!

Just a thought.
    Cheers
    Regards,
    Chris
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.531 Shuttle XS36VL Atom PC - Win 7 Pro 32 / HCSII / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 651 devises & 154 events
    Plug-Ins: APCUPSD / BLDSC / BLiTunes / BlueIris / BLMarantz / BLShutdown / Device History / HCS2 / Insteon / Jon00 Network Monitor / Jon00 DB Charting / PHLocation2 / WeatherXML / Z-Wave

My Chrysler can do it too

Comment

A lot of newer vehicles have some form of this...Even Ford.

I put together a service several months ago that would bring this capability/functionality to any vehicle with an OBDII port but as the backend did cost me a lot the service had a monthly fee per unit. Two people were interested. Needless to say two people didn't even scratch the cost I was paying to keep the service active so I had to close it down.

So... yeah it's possible to integrate all kinds of information from our vehicles. The choice is through the manufacturer through their system and they don't open their API as it's too large of a liability issue. There are "hacks" but I won't touch that for anyone else's use due to liability issues. Then there are plenty of services that provide this functionality but they are not free.

Back on topic. Traccar is a free GPS system that with the right OBDII GPS unit you can pull a vast amount of data from your vehicle. You can run Traccar on a local system or in the cloud on EC2 or somewhere (I do this now) and you can feed PHL2 the geofence enter/exit data which works great. There's also potential for PHL2 to add even more information that can be pulled by Traccar. The trick here is having a good OBDII unit and they also are not cheap (for a good one).

Comment

Looks like Smartcar.com is a subscription service and looks like their API has to authenticate to a Smartcar server. I did a quick online search and saw some had posted AudiAPI on GitHub. Took a very quick look at the code and seems that it connects to an audi.de URL. So goes directly to Audi. I tried to do an online search to see if Audi publishes an http rest API, but couldn't find it. So, don't know if the GitHub software somehow reverse engineered how to make http requests with Audi, or there's some API that Audi publishes that I couldn't find.

EDIT: I looked at the Audi Connect API GitHub page. Sounds like the API was reverse-engineered by observing the traffic to/from the Audi App. So, I suppose if one were to use the API, it would be subject to breaking if/when Audi makes a change, given that Audi (from what I presume given no info I can find) does not officially publish the interface to access the car info.

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
          Looks like Smartcar.com is a subscription service and looks like their API has to authenticate to a Smartcar server. I did a quick online search and saw some had posted AudiAPI on GitHub. Took a very quick look at the code and seems that it connects to an audi.de URL. So goes directly to Audi. I tried to do an online search to see if Audi publishes an http rest API, but couldn't find it. So, don't know if the GitHub software somehow reverse engineered how to make http requests with Audi, or there's some API that Audi publishes that I couldn't find.

EDIT: I looked at the Audi Connect API GitHub page. Sounds like the API was reverse-engineered by observing the traffic to/from the Audi App. So, I suppose if one were to use the API, it would be subject to breaking if/when Audi makes a change, given that Audi (from what I presume given no info I can find) does not officially publish the interface to access the car info.
          Hey thanks Randman (sorry for the delayed acknowledgement). I'll try to see if I can't find someone at Audi in Germany, because it sure doesn't look like anyone at Audi Canada knows how it works. I had to show my dealer (the largest in Canada) how to set up the Audi Connect account properly!!!
          Regards,
          Chris
          HS3 Pro 3.0.0.531 Shuttle XS36VL Atom PC - Win 7 Pro 32 / HCSII / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 651 devises & 154 events
          Plug-Ins: APCUPSD / BLDSC / BLiTunes / BlueIris / BLMarantz / BLShutdown / Device History / HCS2 / Insteon / Jon00 Network Monitor / Jon00 DB Charting / PHLocation2 / WeatherXML / Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
          X