Modem Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem Recommendation

I really want to send alerts and other info via text, but not having much luck finding a compatible GSM modem.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing... tried:

-Sierra wireless USBlightning connect (no luck at all)
    -Ostent serial w/Wavecom guts (connected but doesn't recognize some critical AT commands)

Any reasonably priced suggestions?

WIndows 7
    HS3

Thanks!

D

Here have a combo old Ericcson W.25 modem which works fine for text via command line telnet / ssh. Thinking I paid $35 for it used/refurbished and unlocked. It is GSM 3G.

It is a combo Wireless AP, Switch and dual phone line (FAX plus Voice) device with a battery backup. It is large compared to today's standards of modems.

Easier to use email to text these days.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Memkey View Post
      I really want to send alerts and other info via text, but not having much luck finding a compatible GSM modem.
      As Pete noted, most carriers let you send an email to your phone and convert it to a text message for you. Just send the email to the phone number with the appropriate gateway: [AT&T uses "@txt.att.net," Verizon uses "@vtext.com" and T-Mobile uses "@tmomail.net."]

You could also consider the Pushover plug-in to allow push notifications.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Today I utilize the Ericcson modem as a failover telephone line and internet failover. I do want to upgrade it to an LTE modem as I get pretty good speeds here using LTE.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I tried the email and Pushover methods and both worked well.

I can see advantages to both options depending on the number of devices you are communicating with.

Thanks again,
          D

Comment

Working...
          X