Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible?

OK, I would like to buy the new Hi-Phone. It sounds great, but I'm not ready to run another set of phone lines into the basement, from the computer room on the second floor.

Is there a way I could use my computer in the basement to run the Hi-Phone, and HSP, and have it work with the HomeSeer computer as if it were all together? I have TCP/IP all set up, and the computer in the basement is acting as a firewall to the Cable modem.

-System Spec------
    ASUS A7V333ARU VIA KT333 MOTHERBOARD; AMD ATHLON XP PROCESSOR 2200+ (1800MHz); 1024MB DDR 333MHz DDRAM; ATI RAGE 128 CHIPSET 32MB W/ TV OUT VGA CARD; AHANIX PLATINUM XP SILVER/BLACK COLOR 9 DRIVE BAYS SPI 300W POWER SUPPLY TOOL-LESS PANELS ATX MID TOWER CASE; Win2K SP2 5Serial 1Parallel, Hawking Modem, Broadband >Mediacomm, Phillips Audio, ATT Voices, HS/HSP, PhoneSwitch, 10/100 Ethernet, HouseLinc for IR, CM11A for X10
    -------------
    GenevaDude

i have a simular problem, my master phone jack in located on the other side of the house.
    There are at least four whires in a phone jack, would there be a way to use this like:

lines 1 and 2 are for the line 1
    lines 3 and 4 are the second line.

At the main jack
    Connect lines 1 and 2 to 3 and 4.
    now at hi-phone jack use 3 and 4 to connect to the hi-phone

arg, this don't look right either. anyone else have any idea?

Thanks.

Comment

Jim
      That is exactly what the extra wires are there for

Skibum
      Skibumsplace

Comment

standard 2 pair telephone line has Red/Green for line 1 and Yellow/Black for Line 2 (in this case we'll use line 2 to route the main line to the interface)

The easiest way to wire the phone lines is to disconect the red/green in to the house and route it up the yellow/Black Pair on the line that goes to the Hi-Phone (Or Phone switch or modem for that matter)

Then get a dual jack face plate and hook the yellow/Black pair to the Red/Green of one of the jacks and lable it line in. then on the other jack hook up the Red/green to the Red/Green and lable it line out.

(When you disconnected the Line in at the box you should leave all the Red/Green lines from inside the house connected)

Also make a short telepone cable to jump the jacks incase you need to remove the interface for some reason. If any of the phones in the house loose the ability to dial the polarity may have been reversed. if so, reverse the wires in the line out jack of the face plate. (Red/Green - Green/Red)

If you have a dailup modem hooked before the Hi-Phone this will disconnect the main line while you're online, and you can still pick up the handset and give voice commands. I have an event, "I Need the Phone" to tell HS lo log me off the net. Also When Rich adds the ability to turn on and off the just the handset, you'll be able so set Messenger or NetMeeting to the Hi-Phone USB audio settings and use the phones in the house to talk over the net [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dieing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] AMD K6 366Mhz 128MB
        XP Pro HS&HSP Most Recent Updates
        ATT Natural Voices
        USR Voice Faxmodem Pro (5605)
        Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop USB

Comment

Thanks. I will have to see if somebody would be willing to do this for me as I can't see the darn colors any more and I don't care for the little shock you get when trying to hook things up by feel.

Wish there was a way to do this just by plugging in a cord to the darn thing.

Comment

This mrssage board is great!
            I never thought of using 2 wires! Two up and two down. Thanks Brainstormer!
            I can still route four wires throughout the house but setup two up and two down from the computer room. Dang it - I wish I had thought of that first!
            What I will do is based on your idea. I will rewire my punch panel for the computer room, then get one of those two line jacks from Radio Shack if they still have them. They used to have a plug in jack that would use tow wires - Red Green for one line and Yellow Black for the other. It plugs into the regular phone jack and has two outputs - one for each line.
            Now - off to buy the latest toy!
            Again, thanks for the solution Brainstormer. (The name fits!)

-System Spec------
            ASUS A7V333ARU VIA KT333 MOTHERBOARD; AMD ATHLON XP PROCESSOR 2200+ (1800MHz); 1024MB DDR 333MHz DDRAM; ATI RAGE 128 CHIPSET 32MB W/ TV OUT VGA CARD; AHANIX PLATINUM XP SILVER/BLACK COLOR 9 DRIVE BAYS SPI 300W POWER SUPPLY TOOL-LESS PANELS ATX MID TOWER CASE; Win2K SP2 5Serial 1Parallel, Hawking Modem, Broadband >Mediacomm, Phillips Audio, ATT Voices, HS/HSP, PhoneSwitch, 10/100 Ethernet, HouseLinc for IR, CM11A for X10
            -------------
            GenevaDude

Comment

Working...
            X