Way2Call RS-232 Serial Port options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way2Call RS-232 Serial Port options?

What serial ports can the RS-232 version work on? Is it limited to COM1 and COM2? If it can use higher numbers, does it work with a USB to RS-232 port converter? (Some of us already have both serials full...) Or will it work with something like a digiBoard multiple RS-232 board?

-Scott

The "Hardware Config" option only shows COM1 & COM2. There is a "support request form" on the Way2Call web site...

(see profile for environment)

Comment

It only works on COM1 or 2.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Doh.

Guess I've got to wait for the USB version then. My COM1 and COM2 are full up.

Comment

I had to. Not a big deal: just shuffled serial devices around.

Comment

Com1 or Com2? I can't believe that in today's world people still write directly to the hardware! Very narrow minded device driver development!
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Seems like some of the "USB is the only way to go" folks are also the ones asking about how far they might be able to take a USB device from its computer. I also hear concerns about using ethernet or "IP" to get a serial device working at a distance.

Thing is: serial is super simple and easy to extend to long distances. Shuffling COM ports is easy - in fact, using a USB-to-serial device is a great use for getting more COM ports and is also a great use for USB, since it's a short-distance connection.

Ah, well... guess I'm just out-dated.

Before criticizing the development of a device, please try to research what you're criticizing.

USB - while excellent for some things, works well as long as each device is plugged into it's own "USB interface" (not hub). Once you start putting multiple devices into the same hub, they are all affected by the other devices.

Serial connections - especially async, low speed connections as we're talking about on a PC - are easily "repeated" over great distances and carried over many transport methods in between endpoints (such as modems or comm servers / term servers). Low speed, async serial links such as we're using for these devices can be connected all over your typical home using shielded cabling with hundreds of feet of distance for about ten cents a foot or less - down to one cent a foot if you're not going too far and won't be near disturbance sources.

While I am reconsidering the serial Way2Call versus the USB, I am only doing so because of the lack of "hang up sense", as I understand. I prefer serial devices, all other things being equal.

Rant complete.

Comment

Working...
              X