Extremely Annoyed at HSP / HIPhone Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely Annoyed at HSP / HIPhone Problems

I am extremely annoyed right now, take this rant for what you consider it to be worth.

Went on vacation for a few days. Came back to find that once again the W2C has hung my phoneline. My grandmother could not make outgoing phone calls! THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.

I know I am not the only person having this problem, there are other posts that report similar issues or like symptoms.

I see posts talking in the HSP 2.0.9x time line where this was a discussed issue. I don't think this is a software, I think it is a firmware issue in the second batch of HiPhones. I have tried 1.0.73 to 2.0.0.127. I bought mine in March of 2003.

Nearly $300 is too much money for something that causes this much headache. It is documented on this messageboard that the CID reliability leaves a lot to be desired, so tack on $20 for the NetCID and $15 for the script.

I try to be positive, and I don't want to hear about beta software because that $300 HiPhone isn't beta.

Thank you for getting this far into my rant.

Bill

All SW from the provided disk that shipped with the unit.
    FW 4.52.05
    Driver 2.00.36
    Interface 1.08.25

HomeSeer Page: http://wrb.tzo.com
    Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
    512 MB RAM PC2700
    Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
    ATTNV Crystal 16
    Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
    SECU-16I to be added for security system upgrade soon
    mcs Temperature (Works great!)
    ROC Outlook (Works great!)
    Video / Captures with ConquerCam
    NetCallerID

[This message was edited by Rick Tinker (HomeSeer Tech) on Tue, 13 January 2004 at 11:55 AM.]

~Bill

I am working with Way2Call right now on this issue. I have "finally" managed to create a test setup that fails. It takes about 1200 calls, but I am able to lock up the way2call driver. They are reviewing debug logs and I hope to have a resolution real soon.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
      512 MB RAM PC2700
      Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
      ATTNV Crystal 16
      Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
      NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

For what it is worth I get this. Another problem is when a person does not leave a msg and hangs up during or at the end of the greeting msg the hi phone does not detect the caller has hung up and continues recording for the whole 3mins. Is there a setting I need to do within HSP cause this is very annoying.

thanks

Comment

The hi-phone should detect when a caller hangs up by detecting the current change on the line. However, this can act differently with different telephone systems. You can check if this is working by enabling the hsphone.log file under the advanced options. Call in and hang up. You should see an entry like:

"Line current drop detected, disconnecting"

There is no setting for this, its always enabled.

If you don't see it, or it only detects remote hangups occasionaly, try enabling the software silence detection. This works with both the PCI modem and Hi-Phone.

-Rich

Comment

Please add me to this group.

My Way2Call hangs constantly.

I am very disappointed in the operation or lack there of.

Charles

Way2Call - 2.0.127
            Device S/N: HD00USGR01101006000241
            Firmware upgraded to 4.52.06

Comment

Kudos to William to saying what I've felt ever since I purchased my Hi-Phone. I've found nothing that solves the problem for me - even the advanced logging that others have mentioned. It does take 1200 calls to lock mine up; 24 hours and about a dozen calls will do it. I agree that $300 is to much for something that just plain doesn't work. I've experienced all flavors of this too, from the phone line being lock-up (off the hook) to the software answering the calls but not taking a message.

Keith McBee
              W2K Server, Dual PIII 1.0Ghz
              Most recent beta of both HSeer and HSeer Phone

Comment

Sorry - I meant it DOESN'T take 1200 calls...

Comment

I understand that it doesn't take 1200 calls, it just happens to take 1200 continuous calls in my test setup to make it fail quickly. I suspect some kind of timing or race condition in the driver. Also, it doesn't happen on all systems, so it could be related to certian hardware or software. My home system was up for 44 days with a hiphone and did not fail.

However, you all don't care about it working elsewhere, it has to work for you!

Way2Call has given me a new driver to test, and its running as I write this. They think it will fix the problem. Since I am really seeing 2 problems (one is a lockup, the other is it just stops taking calls), I'm not so optimistic. However, I'm posting this to just inform you that they are working on it and are giving me things to try. I am hopeful we will have this resolved asap.

-Rich

Comment

Charles,

I noticed in your post that your hi-phone firmware is upgraded, is that something you did or did you have to send your unit to W2C ? Is their any advantage (bug fixes, feature enhancements etc...) with the upgraded firmware ?

Would it be worth the trouble, you think ?

Darrell

System Info: HS box 2.0Ghz P4 256MB WinXP(H) - CG Box 450Mhz P3 128MB Win98 - 3Com Audrey InfinitySpecial1.1HA - ViewSonic1K 800Mhz P3 128MB W2K - I/R ADI Ocelot - X10 PowerLink(USB)- RF Mr26a 1.1.617 - HiPhone(USB) 1.08.12 - HomeSeer Ver 1.6.119 - HS Phone Ver 2.0.123 - Media Player 1.0.12 - CyberGenie 3.0 - 1.0.16 Napco Gemini

Comment

I feel so dang bad about barking like that, but I was so mad that my grandmother couldn't call out if she were to have been injured or needing help with something.

I think the world of Rich and Rick. I get replies late at night their time from them, I get replies to things on weekends. I hope they enjoy their jobs because I know they spend way too much time working at this. No other hardware or software company is as in-touch as the HomeSeer crew. I also know there are thousands of different computer configurations, and they try to make HS work with all of them. Then they opened it up to third-party plugins and scripts, talk about a potential nightmare.

This board is such a friendly forum, I felt really bad about bucking that trend.

Cheers to you all! Bill

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                      512 MB RAM PC2700
                      Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                      ATTNV Crystal 16
                      Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                      NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

I must balance my earlier rant with the sound quality and the voice recognition quality of this W2C is sensational.

I have to have it because home automation is not overly impressive to the masses, but when you do voice recognition commands over a speakerphone phone around your co-workers, it really dazzles them.

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                        512 MB RAM PC2700
                        Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                        ATTNV Crystal 16
                        Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                        NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

Hate to repeat an earlier thought but the fact that $9 CID devices work 100% and the HSP is less than 40% most of the time raises the same emotions.... They (Way2call) can't even figure out how to update their own website.

Comment

William, You also might plug the way2call unit into a module and have a switch to turn it off since the phoneline will always pass through it when it has no power.

Comment

The fix Way2Call sent me for the lockup issue seems to work. The test setup that always failed within a few hours continued to run. Over 3400 calls were taken when run over night, it never handled that many before.

If you are seeing the lockup, here are the instructions to update your driver:

1) Download a new schide32.exe file from here:

ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/pub/schide32_1_99_99.zip

2) Make sure HS and HSP are shut down, right click on your Hi-Phone icon in your system tray and select "Suspend". You need to do this since this file is running and you will not be able to replace it until it stops.

3) Find the file schide32.exe in your system folder and rename it to something else.

4) Copy the new schide32.exe file to your system folder.

5) Reboot your PC

6) Verify that you have the new driver by right clicking on the Hi-Phone icon in your system tray, check the "Interface Version", it should be 1.99.99.

You should also update to build 130 of HomeSeer Phone. While this is not absolutely necessary, it is the version I have been testing with and it includes a change where the Hi-Phone driver is no longer reset after each call. This speeds up operation.

Please let me know if this fixes the problem for you.

-Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X