No announcement yet.

Extremely Annoyed at HSP / HIPhone Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received a reply on my Hi-Phone ticket yesterday. Thanks Rich!

Regarding the "Leave message for (mailbox)" issue: I started a topic on this in "Beta Discussion (HSPhone)" on January 4th and haven't gotten any replies yet. I'm going to start a new topic in "Released Software Discussion (HSPhone)" because I don't think I'm running a beta version. Please reply there so there will be some visibilty to this problem.

Thanks,
    Doug Woolridge

Comment

I should state a bit more about USB if you want to try to swap things around. USB ports usually work in twos, with one controller operating two ports. Some new computers have controller that operate 4 USB ports. Usually switching around USB devices within the same controller won't change much, so if you can, try the Way2Call with a different controller. If you only have two USB ports on your computer, switching between them probably change much.

For me, switching USB ports around has prevented my lockups if I also run logs. I still have other problems, like my phones not ringing at times, so it hasn't solved everything, but it certainly helped.

Comment

Observation:

I had no lockups with HSP for months. This past weekend I was fooling around creating a new voice recognition script and got multiple lockups with the dreaded "switch to.." box. Seems to happen if there was an error in the voice recognition. I hadn't been using voice recognition much in the past couple months. Could there be a connection?

Question:

I cannot seem to get the command 'system.addvoicecommand' to work. A simply test script using 'yes' and 'no' for two added commands will give either no recognition or a voice recognition of 'status' and 'help' respectively. This is via phone, not microphone. Voice recognition on the triggers for multiple scripts works fine from the phone. Only the internal added commands are not recognized. I found that if I used the usual do..loop and waitevent format for listening for the command the program locked up. Am I doing something wrong or could the 'system.addvoicecommand' function be broken?

I'm using HS 1.6.177 and HSP 2.0.151.

metus delenda est

[This message was edited by Tony Talbert on Mon, 19 January 2004 at 09:13 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tony Talbert on Mon, 19 January 2004 at 09:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tony Talbert on Mon, 19 January 2004 at 10:00 PM.]

Comment

I'm currently tracking some sporadic VR issues in my custom scripts.

I have encountered several "lockups" with some custom VR scripts that turned out not to be lockups at all. I have been able to turn them into lockups by clicking on HSPhone while my script is "Paused" (explained below).

My scripts will recognize the commnad, but then things freeze for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. The script is listed as running in Homeseer (on the status bar), and the script will eventually continue. This happens quite regularly after a VR command is recognized, but before the script continues.

I was assuming these were lockups, but it would continue with the script after a minute or two (if I didn't touch anything on the computer or the phone).

Me: "List the messages in Doug's mailbox" <-- Calls my custom script
          Computer: "There is one new message and three old messages in Doug's mailbox"
          Me: "Play message one"
          Computer: Nothing for 90 seconds...then,
          Computer: "Message one, blah blah..."

A different issue...
          Tony, could you try speaking, from an internal call, "Leave a message for (mailbox)" where (mailbox) is the name of a voice mailbox you've set up. The HSPhone locks up every time I do this.

Windows 2000
          HS 1.6.150
          HSP 2.0.151
          Way2Call USB
          Interface v1.08.60 beta
          Wave 1.08.60
          Driver 2.00.67
          Firmware 4.52.06

Comment

Doug,

I've tried several times. 1st time while the system didn't lock up it stopped accepting vr from the phone. I.e. after pressing # nothing would happened. Restarted HS and HSP and tried several more times. Worked o.k.

BTW, I continue to run my system with both logs running.

Tony

metus delenda est

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I tried mine and it seems to be O.K. for leaving messages, but I have a HomeSeerPhone voice problem as well. About 30% of the time when I pick up a local phone, and press # (actually * in my case) I get nothing, no voice. If I hang up and try the phone again, it usually works. I'm using the AT&T voices.

As for other lockups, I've been lucky lately with none, but I AM running all the logs, as well as the Way2Call monitor.

Comment

anogee,

I experience the same problem on a continual basis. For me, there is no voice, and if I use wave files, there is no sound. But it did work once a few weeks ago. I also note that the underlying script is working just fine. I have check points and it is easily tracked. Like you, no sound.

I don't really know why it is intermittant. For some it works, for others, it usually works and for others, like me, it rarely or never works. But the fact that it works on rare occasions means something. I just wish I knew exactly what it does mean

Some day perhaps, they will fix these problems.

regards,

GenevaDude

http://genevadude.com http://GoldenBuffet.biz

Comment

Rich and Rick do a great job at getting this software going, and I don't intend anything negative by this, but I do think all releases could undergo a more thorough testing before release. I think a tester could catch 90%+ of the bugs noted on this board. This, in turn, I would think, would simplify Rich and Rick's job a great deal.

Being a former software engineer for more than 10 years, I can tell you ALL software has bugs, but what separates the fair software from the great software is the testing performed. HomeSeer needs to get this resolved before it will move from the "hobbyist" stage, to a professional tool.

Comment

Well, I heartily agree about Rich and Rick's support.

I would like to point out that the versions most of us are using are clearly marked as betas. Thus, we are doing the testing and should be doing it knowingly. Most of us would rather be out on the edge than wait for all the bugs to be worked out. Many "finished" software programs have enough bugs that I look at them as betas despite the company's claims.

Moreover, the open architecture of the PC makes it impossible to test every conceivable combination of hardware/software.

HS does so many things that it is not surprising that there are glitches. At least, unlike most other software, we get not only decent, but outstanding support.

Still, I, too, will be happy when the solutions are found to some of the problems.

Tony

metus delenda est

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'd like to move this discussion to this thread:

"New test build for Hi-Phone issues"

Please post any issues in this new area.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                      X