Worth the expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth the expense?

I just wanted to get some feedback on the W2C. I have been reading *quite* a bit of not so nice oddities about this thing.... I would like to have one, but not if the cons outnumber the pros.

I was curious if you had to purchase it over again, would you?

Thanks for the thoughts,
    Shane

[This message was edited by Sacarino on Sat, 21 February 2004 at 10:19 PM.]

But only if running Windows 2000 or XP. When I first got my Way2Call I was still running w98 and the device was pretty quirky. Once I moved to XP that all wnet away. Mine's been pretty solid and in my prior experience (although not with HS), modems can be just as troublesome.

Comment

I'd say, if you want something really reliable, spend the $39 and buy an answering machine. W2C (and HSPhone) that controls it has been getting more reliable recently, but still I won't say it does EVERYTHING correctly more than 95% of the time. The other 5% it does something incorrectly, which may or may not be fatal to the call. The other modems, however, may not be any better.

Comment

100% reliable it has not been. Mine has been unplugged for about 2 months now by my wife. I am fully rebuilding my HS machine now and maybe, just maybe, I will try the W2C again.
        When it works, I really like the functionality. I missed having it in place now. But until I know that the W2C will not lock out the phone line, I can't rely on it. My father-in-law had a stroke and my wife MUST have a clear reliable phone line. This is also the reason why I will not use Time Warner's cable based phone system. My cable service is too unreliable.

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
        The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

Well, we were dealing with some lockup issues for quite a while, but it looks like the latest build HomeSeer Phone has fixed those. No one has reported a lockup with the new version.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The lockup issues are in fact fixed, which is great, but I think other nagging issues still persist. In the last few months I've had one occasion where HSP hungup on me a few seconds after making an outgoing call, one occasion where the voice didn't come on the line when I pressed the promt, and several occasions where my phones never rang when I am receiving a call, but luckily the voice did alert me to the call.

Unfortunatly, I'm a bad test subject because we probably only make or receive one call a day tops. (Mainly use cellular.) I'd like to have several months go by where everything always works. Its certainly is working better than it ever has, but I haven't experienced these several months of complete troublefree operation either. If the latest code did in fact fix everything, I apologize that I'm not in a situation where I could immediately recognize that.

Comment

Interesting.

Thanks for the input, folks. I appreciate it.

Shane

Comment

Working...
              X