Uninstall Way2Call Drivers/Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstall Way2Call Drivers/Software

I sent this message to Way2Call, but since it appears they haven't updated their website since 2003, I thought I'd post to this list as well. I purchased the W2C from HomeSeer last week. The W2C has had a few problems since installation, such as seizing the line, calls not ringing through and not forwarding caller id info to HomeSeer. I tried rebooting and power cycling the W2C with no results, so I attempted to remove and reinstall the W2C drivers and software.

I tried to remove the drivers/software, for a reinstall, using the uninstall utility. When I attempt to reinstall, I never see the three separate drivers install. Install just skips past the driver install, and goes into the configuration process, where it can not find the HiPhone. The drop box for PCMMIA and Com1 are listed, but not the usb.

I've gone through uninstall/reinstall several times, restarting the computer after driver removal and restarting again after I reboot and get the "uninstall complete" message, but the software can not find the HiPhone.

After removing the drivers, if I plug in and unplug the HiPhone, I hear the WinXP USB plug/unplug sounds play but no messages pop up, as if there is a driver somewhere in the computer that recognizes the HiPhone. With the drivers uninstalled, I believe that plugging the HiPhone in should generate at least a popup asking for a driver.

How do I ensure a clean removal and reinstall of all Way2Call drivers and software?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Something else to try:

Under C:\Program Files\Hi-Phone2000 there is a program called ScUninst.exe

Also, be sure to right click and select suspend device before working on drivers.

Maybe that'll help. Maybe you've already tried these.

Good luck.

~Bill

Comment

Re: scuninst.exe

I will definitely give that a try, first thing in the morning. At this point, after several more hours of trying to figure this mess out, I can get w2c to work by manually disabling then re-enabling the Hi-Phone Desktop Composite USB Device in the device manager (it appears as "!" and "Unable to open device" after a reboot). I do get Caller ID announcements from HS. However, my phone calls do not ring through on the house phones.

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Trying not to rant

This is frustrating since I just purchased this device last week. I was using a TalkingCallerID box with DDE output to HS so that I could get the better NeoSpeech pronunciation of my caller id. This setup worked flawlessly for over 2 years, never missing a call or failing to catch a call-waiting caller id number, but would drop anything in the caller name field once the DDE output of the TalkingCallerID encountered a space (ie: "Jerry's" instead of "Jerry's Cellular").

I purchased the w2c from HomeSeer hoping to fix this problem, and eventually add some further functionality. I've only tried using the caller ID function of w2c, and I've already had it seizing the line, locking up, not reporting all calls, not reporting call-waiting numbers, not ringing through to house phones, clicking during calls, beeping during calls, etc. Some of these problems are just annoying, but others are somewhat of a safety issue (as I wonder what will happen if the alarm system tries to report a burglary or fire). I can't really submit a Help Desk request to HS until I get the w2c driver issues resolved. I would hate to go the way of so many others, and just disconnect this device until HS2 arrives.

I understand that this hobby has its share of trial and error, but spending $350 for a fancy answering machine that may have to go into mothballs a week after it was purchased just ain't right.
        Last edited by Jerry S; April 26, 2005, 02:33 AM.

Comment

You have me scared

I just ordered mine, it arrive tomorrow. I hope my experience is better. Thanks for the info Jerry.

Comment

Hey Jerry,
            Ensure your driver version is at least 1.08.06 Beta, it is mentioned here and in it's links.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...54&postcount=3

Keep us updated. Once running, it really is a major part og HA.

~Bill

Comment

Still no go...

I suspended the w2c, ran the scuninst.exe from the Hi-Phone start menu item, restarted the computer when prompted, waited for the reboot and "uninstall finished" message, then ran the 1.8.60 install I downloaded from the link that bill posted. I plugged in the w2c when prompted, but never had the 3 individual drivers install as I did in the initial installation last week. The installer just jumped to the software installation, I got the "I Accept" prompt, and then the installer completed and prompted for a reboot. When the computer rebooted, I checked the w2c tray icon for the upgrade and see:

Interface version: 1.08.60 beta
              Wave version: 1.08.60
              Driver version: 2.00.67
              Firmware version: Not Available
              P/N: Not Available
              S/N: Not Available

A check of Device Manager shows the Hi-Phone Desktop Composite Device in error status and properties of that device shows device not found. There is nothing under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. If i disable then enable the Hi-Phone Desktop Composite Device, the Hi-Phone device goes to normal "Device is working properly" status, the Hi-phone USB and USB Aux show up under Sound,Video and Game Controllers heading, and I get the following when clicking about on the w2c icon:
              Interface version: 1.08.60 beta
              Wave version: 1.08.60
              Driver version: 2.00.67
              Firmware version: 4.52.07
              P/N: HD-00-US-GR-01
              S/N: 1012-07-006715

If I start Homeseer at this point, both HSP and HS start up normally, the w2c icon turns from gray to blue, white and yellow, and I do get caller id information spoken from HS. However, the house phones do not ring, nor does call-waiting caller id work. The calls did ring through and caller id was announced by HS until a couple of days ago, but I don't know what has happened. Call-waiting caller ID never did work with w2c, but does work on the wireless phones in the house. I hoped that this driver upgrade would work, but it hasn't (possible because there are corrupted drivers lurking somewhere in my system, that haven't been totally uninstalled). Since initial install of the w2c, setup has never gone through the 3 separate driver install routines.

I'll also mention that if I reboot the computer, the Hi-Phone device goes back into problem status and I must disable/enable as mentioned before it before I can start homeseer.

Any ideas anyone?

Way2call has not returned my support email, and they have no phone numbers listed. There must be some way to start over with the new drivers, and have this device added to my computer like the initial install. HS is not shipping this upgraded driver with the w2c units, as I just received 1.08.25 with the item I purchased last week.

Comment

Sounds like either a wiring problem or you have the phones configured to mute in HSP. Under HSP, check View / Options / Modem tab -- ensure Way2Call is selected as your modem / Advanced options. Ensure Mute All Rings is unchecked and Phone Power is set to External (Line)

Describe how you have the W2C intergrated into your phone wiring please.

Looks like the drivers are basically working.

~Bill

Comment

W2C isn't going to answer. They kinda stink, they leave support up to resellers from what I can tell IMHO.

~Bill

Comment

ensure Way2Call is selected as your modem / Advanced options. Ensure Mute All Rings is unchecked and Phone Power is set to External (Line)
                    w2c is selected as the modem, mute all rings is unchecked and external power is checked.
                    Describe how you have the W2C intergrated into your phone wiring please.
                    My phone line comes in through the DSL filter, to the line side of the w2c, out the phone side of the w2c to the house phones. I ran separate lines specifically so that I would know that my HSPhone would come before any house phones.
                    Looks like the drivers are basically working.
                    Except that the Hi-Phone USB device has to be disabled/enabled with each reboot before it will work.

I appreciate your help, Bill.

Thanks,
                    Jerry

Comment

W2C isn't going to answer. They kinda stink, they leave support up to resellers from what I can tell IMHO.
                      I kind of figured I would be waiting a while since it's been some time since they've updated their website.

Comment

Shut down HomeSeer and do the Test Wizard from the W2C icon, let's go from there.

~Bill

Comment

Also, lets eliminate wiring.

Ditch the DSL filter, plug the W2C as early in the phone lines as possible, and plug 1 regular phone into the output line of the W2C.

~Bill

Comment

Shut down HomeSeer and do the Test Wizard from the W2C icon, let's go from there.
                            HS shut down, and the w2c test wizard works well at all steps.

Comment

Ditch the DSL filter, plug the W2C as early in the phone lines as possible, and plug 1 regular phone into the output line of the W2C.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
                              This step may be a bit of a problem. If I disconnect the DSL Filter, and run the line direct to the w2c, the DSL modem (which I connected at the box just inside the house, in parallel with the phone line) will not stay connected. I can test the w2c and phone lines but I'll be unable to respond until I disconnect the w2c and reconnect the modem. The DSL modem doesn't like anything else plugged into the phone system, and loses its internet connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X