Way2Call Lite users with Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way2Call Lite users with Windows Vista

I was wondering about those of you that are using the Way2Call Lite with Windows Vista.

Is your caller id reliable?

Are you using Vista SP1?

I am getting very poor caller id recognition since installing my Way2Call Lite. I am using the latest drivers from the Way2Call site and have updated the Way2Call firmware. I have held off on installing SP1 since doing so would likely close the door on using my HomeSeer PCI Modem (which worked perfectly). I bought the new modem so I could go to SP1.

I do not have any phones plugged in to the Way2Call Lite, at this point I am just trying to get caller id to work properly.

I don't think this is a HomeSeer issue since I see the same results when I look for the caller id in the Way2Call Test Wizard. When it does not show up in the Way2Call Test Wizard (with HomeSeer shut down) it does shows up on my cordless phone every time.

I have turned this issue in to the Help Desk.

I am thinking about going ahead and installing SP1 to see if it will help.

I would appreciate any thoughts any of you might have on this matter.

Thanks!
    Brian
    Last edited by bdhall; March 14, 2009, 10:12 AM.

This problem "generally" turns out to be a weak voltage on the phone lines. One process that generally helps with these modems is a good ground.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      This problem "generally" turns out to be a weak voltage on the phone lines. One process that generally helps with these modems is a good ground.
      Are you speaking of the phone system ground?

One method discussed in another post I believe involved grounding the output of the power supply feeding the Way2Call. The Way2Call Lite does not have an external power supply, it gets its power from the USB.

What would be recomended to try for the Way2Call Lite?

Brian

Comment

For the light version I would first try ensuring that the USB root hub isn't shared with another device so it gets plenty of power and there have been reports in the past that these devices help as well.
        http://www.sandman.com/longloop.html
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          For the light version I would first try ensuring that the USB root hub isn't shared with another device so it gets plenty of power and there have been reports in the past that these devices help as well.
          http://www.sandman.com/longloop.html
          There are presently two items plugged in to my computers onboard USB, My Way2Call Lite and my ElkM1G via a USB to RS232 adapter. I should be able to get the Elk off the USB port and put it directly on a RS232 port since I now have one available and that would be a no cost thing to try. Would there be an advantage in installing a PCI to USB card for the Way2Call Lite?

What about grounding issues?

Thanks!
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bdhall View Post
            There are presently two items plugged in to my computers onboard USB, My Way2Call Lite and my ElkM1G via a USB to RS232 adapter. I should be able to get the Elk off the USB port and put it directly on a RS232 port since I now have one available and that would be a no cost thing to try. Would there be an advantage in installing a PCI to USB card for the Way2Call Lite?

What about grounding issues?

Thanks!
            Brian
            I did try moving the Elk off the USB port so that the Way2Call Lite is the only USB device connected. It did not seem to make any difference. I also upgraded my HS computer to Vista SP1 and I am now current on all the "important" updates. This also did not appear to make any difference.

I would be interested to know if any others are running the Way2Call Lite successfully with Vista and if so which version of the drivers are you using.

Thanks!
            Brian

Comment

I did try moving the Elk off the USB port so that the Way2Call Lite is the only USB device connected. It did not seem to make any difference. I also upgraded my HS computer to Vista SP1 and I am now current on all the "important" updates. This also did not appear to make any difference.

I would be interested to know if any others are running the Way2Call Lite successfully with Vista and if so which version of the drivers are you using.

Thanks!
              Brian
              Bump.
              Last edited by bdhall; December 31, 2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks!
                Brian
                Missing my caller id announcements.

Judging from the few comments on this thread, I am starting to wonder if I am the only one trying to use this thing.

Brian

Comment

My Way2Call Lite Caller ID Issues Resolved.

Thanks to Rich for putting me in touch with the right person at Way2Call.

Way2Call acted very concerned about my issue and they have been quite helpful. They had me record some calls that worked and some that did not and send to them. Their developers used those to figure out what was going on. They sent me some new firmware to try (around 2-12-09) and it has helped a lot. I ran some tests after installing the new firmware and out of 50 calls I placed to my house that night the Way2Call missed one call. Since that time I have not noticed any calls missed. Prior to this firmware update my Way2Call Lite was useless for Caller ID because it missed so many calls.

This has been a very long process but it looks like persistance has paid off. This firmware update has turned out to be "the fix" for my Caller ID problems. I hope this may be of help to some other frustrated Way2Call owners.

The updated firmware should be on their website.

Brian
                  Last edited by bdhall; March 14, 2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X