Hi-Phone transfer to new computer not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-Phone transfer to new computer not working

I could really use some moral support right now. I've been fighting a problem for weeks and am hoping someone can restore my sanity.

I upgraded my HS server with a new motherboard (ASUS) and processor (Athlon II X4). I did a fresh install of WinXP SP3. It all went well (for the most part), until it came to my Hi-phone. I kept getting the "wave device id invalid: -2" in the HS log. I have read and read on this board and can only figure out that means that the drivers for the hiphone are not installed correctly. I've focused on trying to get it to work external to HS software.

The hiphone works fine on the old box. It responds when I plug in the USB cable, reports the drivers correctly with the way2call driver info, and it passes all the tests in the way2call wizard. However, when I try it on the new machine, things don't go well. The software installs okay (I think), and the device is (sometimes) recognized by windows. However, the driver info yields odd results--it detects the device, but not its name, P/N or S/N, and reports that all the drivers are installed--and the test wizard fails/times out every time.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers countless times. I have tried installing the drivers and then the hiphone, as well as the hiphone and then the drivers after an uninstall and reboot. I have searched the registry and deleted any references to way2call. (I don't know what other things I might need to delete if an install corrupted something.) I have unplugged the replugged the USB cable after having let the device sit totally unplugged (no power cord). Sometimes it recognizes the device fine and sometimes it gives an error saying it didn't recognize it. I then unplug and retry and it usually works. Sometimes it takes a couple of times.

My device manager seems to look okay (comparing it to what the old machine looks like). I have two entries under HID, two USB audio devices, and one composite USB under USB devices. I have deleted the drivers from within device manager and unplugged and replugged several times, sometimes rebooting between un- and replugging. The hiphone devices (USB Audio and Aux) show up in the control panel sound app (when the device drivers show up in device manager).

I have tried different USB ports and cables. I have disabled the power management of the USB roots in case that was somehow the problem.

I have contacted tech support at way2call and Doron has been exchanging emails with me for a week, most of the time just telling me to do something I have already tried.

I have run out of brain power, patience, and things to try. Could it be something unique to this new machine, since the software (WinXP SP3 and hiphone drivers) and peripheral hardware (hiphone) are the same? If so, what? The ports are USB 2.0. I'm plugging in to the ones on the back of the machine (direct to the motherboard).

I told a friend my new box was a screamer. I meant that related to its speed initially. Now it's become a screamer for a different reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try some of these posts -
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...light=way2call

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...light=way2call

~Bill

Comment

Thanks, Bill, for the prompt reply.

I culled through those threads trying to find what might fit my situation and could possibly help. One thing I noticed is that you posted the output of "About... way2call." I don't know how to get to that screen. I have no system tray icon at all. (Nor do I on my old machine.)

When I renamed hsphone.ini to do a clean add of the phone line, I still get the same error. Here is a paste from the log:

3/15/2011 11:03:32 PM HSPhone Adding phone line 1, Name: Default Line, Modem: Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop
      3/15/2011 11:03:32 PM HSPhone HomeSeer Phone Web Interface initializing.
      3/15/2011 11:03:32 PM Phone Line 1 Initializing Hi-Phone device...
      3/15/2011 11:03:32 PM HSPhone Resetting line: Default Line
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Wave OUT id: -2
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Found Hi-Phone audio device: Hi-Phone Desktop USB
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Wave IN id: -2
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Voice Recognition Language ID: 1033
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Error in Hi-Phone InitVR: Wave device is invalid: -2
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Calling hangup for line: Default Line
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Enter OpenLine, line: Default Line
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Enter WaitForCall, modem: 2
      3/15/2011 11:03:34 PM HSPhone Muting rings disabled
      3/15/2011 11:03:37 PM HSPhone Finished Resetting line: Default Line

Also, here is the output of the way2call drivers info program (note the missing info on line 1. and P/N and S/N):

Way2call Drivers Information:

Package Version: 2.01.16.1 32bit

OS version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Device Information:

Firmware Version: 4.02.33
      P/N:
      S/N:

Software Components:

File: w2cUSBM.dll
      Description: Way2call Multiple Hi-Phone Devices DLL
      Version: 1.3.7.0
      Build: b004

File: ScTspML.tsp
      Description: Way2call Multiple Hi-Phone Devices TSP
      Version: 2.01.16
      Build: 0

File: w2cMultiOcx.ocx
      Description: Way2call Multiple Hi-Phone Devices OCX
      Version: 1.0.0.4

File: TestWiz.exe
      Description: Way2call Multiple Hi-Phone Devices Test Wizard
      Version: 2.00.34

File: w2cMdSound.exe
      Description: Way2call Multiple Devices As Sound Cards
      Version: 1.0.0.7

File: scwiz32.exe
      Description: Way2Call Multiple Hi-Phone Devices PBX Wizard
      Version: 2.00.34

File: w2cTspSetup.exe
      Description: Way2call TAPI Setup
      Version: 1.0.0.2

File: \drivers\ScIPTsa.sys
      Not required - For RS232 devices.

File: w2cRS232Wave.drv
      Not required - For RS232 devices.

File: w2cUsb.dll
      Description: Hi-Phone User Mode Device Driver
      Version: 2.0.9.2
      Build: b0001

File: ml_setup.exe
      Description: Way2call Multiple Hi-Phone Devices Drivers installer
      Version: 2.0.0.43
      Build: b001

File: w2cMultiInfo.exe
      Description: Way2call drivers infromation
      Version: 1.0.0.4

Audio IN devices:
      0. VIA HD Audio Input
      1. Hi-Phone Desktop USB
      2. Hi-Phone Desktop USB Aux

Audio OUT devices:
      0. Hi-Phone Desktop USB
      1. VIA HD Audio Output

---end of paste---

The P/N from the bottom of the device is: HD00USGR01
      And in case it could somehow matter the S/N: 1010-07-001116

Thanks.

Comment

Do you have a PCI USB card you could try with the Way2Call rather than plugging it into your mother board's USB?

When I built my last HS PC (MSI AMD) the Way2Call would simply not work reliably with the on-board USB. It would communicate intermittently and eventually become unresponsive, both in and out of HS if I recall correctly. Once I added a PCI USB card for the Way2Call, no more problems. I was quite surprised.

Don

Comment

TR -
          I would unplug your W2C and reboot.
          Then delete your current W2C driver package and the reboot.
          Then install my drivers and follow the directions.
          NOTE: It looks like you are using the multiple W2C drivers but I doubt you need that unless you really are running multiple W2Cs...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bze...thkey=CJvm-OcM

~Bill

Comment

TR -
            Then check this link again - http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=8

It shows what your should see if your drivers are running correctly.

~Bill

Comment

Thanks, Bill, for working to help me and for posting the other set of drivers.

I installed the "new" set of drivers (in quotes because they seem quite dated, but who cares if they work), and, after several errors in detecting the USB device, it seems to have installed the drivers properly. However, there is still something funky going on. The "about" screen (with HS NOT running) from the w2c resident program (now in my system tray as others have) has all the info as you screen shots except there is still no P/N or S/N (I tried to figure out how to upload a graphic, but can't). Also, now HS is giving me a new error (log pasted below). What could this mean? Is there a way to reset the Hi-Phone other than disconnecting from power (which I have tried numerous times, including tonight prior to installing the new drivers)?

A reminder to myself and others, this Hi-Phone device works absolutely fine on another computer. I would try the USB PCI card thing Don suggests if I had one. I may need to spring for one just to see if it works. It would clearly be worth it if it did, but odd that a newer machine would be more of a problem than an old one.

I wanted to post a screen shot of my device drivers, but don't know how. It shows essentially the same, but the names are now Hi-Phone... whereas with the multidrivers just said USB....

---Paste from HS Log---
              3/16/2011 11:35:38 PM HSPhone Adding phone line 1, Name: Default Line, Modem: Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop
              3/16/2011 11:35:38 PM HSPhone HomeSeer Phone Web Interface initializing.
              3/16/2011 11:35:38 PM Phone Line 1 Initializing Hi-Phone device...
              3/16/2011 11:35:38 PM HSPhone Resetting line: Default Line
              3/16/2011 11:35:38 PM Error Initializing Hi-Phone (Set Tones): Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
              3/16/2011 11:35:38 PM HSPhone Error initializing Hi-Phone driver, possible corrupt or missing drivers, or Hi-Phone is not plugged in or powered on.

3/16/2011 11:35:42 PM HSPhone Calling hangup for line: Default Line
              3/16/2011 11:35:42 PM HSPhone Enter OpenLine, line: Default Line
              3/16/2011 11:35:42 PM HSPhone Enter WaitForCall, modem: 2
              3/16/2011 11:35:42 PM HSPhone Muting rings disabled
              3/16/2011 11:35:44 PM HSPhone Finished Resetting line: Default Line
              Last edited by ToinkyRoo; March 17, 2011, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToinkyRoo View Post

I would try the USB PCI card thing Don suggests if I had one. I may need to spring for one just to see if it works. It would clearly be worth it if it did, but odd that a newer machine would be more of a problem than an old one.
                Hi TR,
                I'm didn't mean a whole new machine, just a USB peripheral card. Getting the W2C to communicate reliably was one of the most frustrating problems I faced in the earlier days of HS automation. I would never have expected a USB port change to make a difference (it's not like USB is a brand new technology after all ) In any case, for me, installing a Belkin USB card completely solved my problems. Here is an old thread pointing to the card and yet other threads where I described the issues I encountered before arriving at the solution:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=106006

Don

Comment

Read this - especially post 4 - he fixed it.

You may need to go to Control Panel / Add - Remove Programs - find HS2 on the list and do a repair.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                    Read this - especially post 4 - he fixed it.
                    Bill - what is the "this" to read? I can't tell which thread you are referring to.

My problem isn't quite the same as the OP, but I try to keep an eye on W2C/HiPhone threads in hopes of some magic showing up that I can use.

Every since I moved to Win7, the W2C doesn't work, at least all the audio (in and out). I don't want to Hijack the thread, but am interested in anything you guys suggest.

Steve

Comment

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...10&postcount=4

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                        Bill - what is the "this" to read? I can't tell which thread you are referring to.

My problem isn't quite the same as the OP, but I try to keep an eye on W2C/HiPhone threads in hopes of some magic showing up that I can use.

Every since I moved to Win7, the W2C doesn't work, at least all the audio (in and out). I don't want to Hijack the thread, but am interested in anything you guys suggest.

Steve
                        I know your log says there is an issue but is there really?
                        My W2C worked under W7 but the log said there was an error. I think it is a false alarm so please verify.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                          I know your log says there is an issue but is there really?
                          My W2C worked under W7 but the log said there was an error. I think it is a false alarm so please verify.
                          I don't really care what is in the log, and the log even says to ignore that error, so... No... I'm not that daft.

My W2C has a horrible hum on the outbound audio, and the TTS is so quiet it is not audible. I don't use it for voicemail (tried to use HSPhone for VM several years ago, and the immediate WAF hit almost killed the hobby), but I did try VR once and it didn't work at all. For my current use, I only want TTS to work, and with all the stuff of moving to Win7 this is the only item that I never got fixed.

Now I have hijacked the thread. I've posted before in another thread, so I'm not looking for help here (except for clarification on your message).

Steve

Comment

No daftosity implied.
                            If it were mine I'd load HS2 temporarily on another computer and try it there to see if it is the W2C exclusively.

~Bill

Comment

It was working fine on an XP machine just before the move to the Win7 machine (different computer, but same W2C).

Comment

Working...
                              X