Anybody tried the Way2call with Ooma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody tried the Way2call with Ooma

Was curious if anyone was using the way2call with the Ooma system?

Of the top it seems it should work but would be interesting to know if anyone tried it.

When you pick up a phone that it hard wired to an Ooma it plays that ridiculous melodious tone. That confuses the W2C. I think Ooma also messes with the current drop detect.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
      When you pick up a phone that it hard wired to an Ooma it plays that ridiculous melodious tone. That confuses the W2C. I think Ooma also messes with the current drop detect.
      Thanks Bill. Was just curious about that.

Am looking at different options and it sounds like all have their issues.

Comment

You can chat or call Ooma and have them remove the melody. It takes about 30 seconds.

Here playing DECT phones and I do have one pairing up fine with the Ooma box; that said I am not getting all of the features working yet.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          You can chat or call Ooma and have them remove the melody. It takes about 30 seconds.

Here playing DECT phones and I do have one pairing up fine with the Ooma box; that said I am not getting all of the features working yet.
          Thanks Pete.

I got one to see how the WAF does before porting our number and so far it sounds good.

It actually does a lot of what I use the the Way2call for. They call it a blacklist feature.

Comment

Yup; kept the copper due to WAF.

Wife will not utilize any VOIP lines; never has.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yup; kept the copper due to WAF.

Wife will not utilize any VOIP lines; never has.
              If you removed the melody how would she even know
              I use ooma with the melody and don't really have any issue's with the Way-2-Call.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
                If you removed the melody how would she even know
                I use ooma with the melody and don't really have any issue's with the Way-2-Call.
                Does it work for both caller-ID announcements and as an answering machine?
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone
                My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

It works with the CID announcements and SnelvCID here.

@ johnnybwis

Yup wife is old fashioned; whilst we have had VOIP lines for a very long time (over 10 years); she has never used them; then too she keeps her cell phone "off" in her purse unless she needs to use it (which is a pita to deal with).

Thinking about it now....when we moved to current home; I didn't have internet right away and needed to utilize the copper line as I was "tethered" to work 24/7 such that I went to using dial up for about a week or so. That said I was charged for "data" bytes on my copper telco bill; what a pita that was to deal with. Thinking back now; peers got point to point circuits installed in their home rather than dealing with this stuff...

I personally requested (many years ago) that my copper line still play back a busy signal when I am on the phone rather than having call waiting on it.

It was just a call into the telco provider to remove the services.

I also auto forward my cell phone to local copper line via an application that does cell tower triangulation for home use.

Thinking now that I started doing this around 2004-2005 or so.

All cell phone(s) gets shut off and put on the charger these days when at home.
                  Last edited by Pete; March 29, 2014, 09:12 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                    Does it work for both caller-ID announcements and as an answering machine?
                    Yes, I use what comes with HS and it announces and works with voicemail. If someone is on the phone when another call comes in ooma picks up and takes the message. Not sure if I like that. Occasionally a voice message gets cut off but I don't think that is ooma's fault.
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
                      Yes, I use what comes with HS and it announces and works with voicemail. If someone is on the phone when another call comes in ooma picks up and takes the message. Not sure if I like that. Occasionally a voice message gets cut off but I don't think that is ooma's fault.
                      Thank you very much. I run into that now. My phone is via my local cable company. I get Internet and Phone from them. They have a voice mail system. I set the number of rings to a higher number than I have HS set to. The only time the cable company picks up is if we are already on a phone call.

I keep going back and forth between dropping phone from them as I get a $10 discount for having two services from them. If I drop phone my internet will go up that $10. Has made it hard to save money by switching when my phone plan is only $25.
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone
                      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Yup; you pay once for Ooma and the monthly 911 charges (thinking its around $2/month versus $25 month).

If you get the Ooma device on sale; its even cheaper. (thinking I paid less than $100 for it). It doesn't come with a back up battery device and I have it buried after the firewall. It looks pretty enough to put on a table. I keep mine in the basment adjacent to the phone patch panel.

It talks. Yesterday playing with the DECT phone stuff; it told me what pin to put in. You can also connect Bluetooth to it (and DECT).

I do not pay for any of the extra Oooma stuff these days.

Jeff, if you mod it or hack into it reverse engineering it; you can create a new plugin; like "OomaByCFGuy" "the Homeseer Ooma plugin".

My Comcast internet is a bit over $XX a month.

My DTV monthly bill went up last month with a couple of odd new service charges (sports tax?). I called them (first time now with DTV) and said I was going to switch to DISH. I have been a DTV customer for 20 years (or whenever it came out years ago). They reduced the monthly some $XX per month after I spoke to the CST manager. The CST was trying to talk me into a different package and I wanted the same.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yup; you pay once for Ooma and the monthly 911 charges (thinking its around $2/month versus $25 month).

If you get the Ooma device on sale; its even cheaper. (thinking I paid less than $100 for it). It doesn't come with a back up battery device and I have it buried after the firewall. It looks pretty enough to put on a table. I keep mine in the basment adjacent to the phone patch panel.

It talks. Yesterday playing with the DECT phone stuff; it told me what pin to put in. You can also connect Bluetooth to it (and DECT).

Jeff, if you mod it or hack into it reverse engineering it; you can create a new plugin; like "OomaByCFGuy" "the Homeseer Ooma plugin".

My Comcast internet is a bit over $XX a month.

My DTV monthly bill went up last month with a couple of odd new service charges (sports tax?). I called them (first time now with DTV) and said I was going to switch to DISH. I have been a DTV customer for 20 years (or whenever it came out years ago). They reduced the monthly some $XX per month after I spoke to the CST manager. The CST was trying to talk me into a different package and I wanted the same.
                          I was able to pickup the Ooma when New Egg had a router and threw the Ooma in for about $10 more. Had been thinking of upgrading from an old. old router and modem for a while so just took the plunge and got everything upgraded about a week ago. The taxes etc in this area is around $3.50 a month. When you first install the Ooma you are elegable for 2 months of the premium package so not sure it they automatically turn it on or not. The biggest feature I could see woudl be the caller name instead of just a number for the caller id. Not sure that is worth $10 a month or not and Homeseer will already filter the calls for us..

Comment

Noticed an article in the last Consumer Report that mentioned Ooma.

The article is called "Break Free from Cable" in the May 2014 Issue.

I will scan it and post it here.

It rated Oooma #1 out of 26 VOIP services in the US with a reader score of 88 (value, reliability, call quality and support).
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I let myself get stuck in the reoccurring billing for the premium. I do like the voicemail being emailed to me if ooma picks it up VS HS, and the caller ID with name. It would be nice to save that $10 a month though.

Also the Myooma web based phone integration is almost to the point where I could forgo the HSphone setup.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X