GoControl GC-TBZ48 Health Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoControl GC-TBZ48 Health Monitor

I just experienced an issue with my stat. Overnight I had a 4 second power outage. I have had these brownout/blips before with usually no issue. This time I woke up to an 80 degree F house (its 43F outside) and the HS controller (on a UPS) was fine but the thermostat (uses HVAC power) did not boot properly after the brownout, so the screen was basically off/hung (no LEDs lit). The fix was a unplug/plug (remove front panel from power) reset/replug, and all was fine. All is working, no issues.

My question is how can I use homeseer to report on a zwave stat malfunction? The default node is to not poll (other than that battery). Which I have set to default of 12 hours.

Since I am not using batts and using HVAC power, could I reduce that setting to like every hour and then trigger an event to alert if it does not respond?

Is there a better way to monitor and more important alert to a unhealthy thermostat status?

This could be a 1-off event and a fluke, but it would suck to be on vacation and have no way to know if the house thermostat is operating normally.

Thanks.

I just tested polling the battery and turned off the HVAC power source, but That does not work because the association wont repspond if no power.

What if I polled the root device or is there a way to send the test packet to the device and see if it responds?

Attached Files

Comment

I just powered on the HVAC after my test and it did not boot properly again. Can you use 24VAC and battery (as a backup) at same time?

Comment

just saw this on amazon:

so maybe i will buy a ups for the HVAC? Any thoughts?

"great product for a great price.
        By Christopher Guthrie on August 13, 2016The thermostat met my expectations. It does take batteries (ONLY if your setup DOESNT include the power wire) If you try to use the batteries and the power wire it will pop a fuse in your air handler. Because the thermostat is so thin the connections need to be very clean and not bunched up or you wont be able to close the thermostat up all the way till it clicks in. I have my thermostat connected to a veraplus controller and it works great. i programmed my veraplus controller to automate the thermostat to a bedtime and daytime running temp. (the thermostat itself doesnt do this, just your zwave controller). Overall this is a great thermostat for a great price. i would buy it again for sure. see less"

Comment

I have 8 of the thermostats. They are all system powered by the ā€œCā€ wire AND have batteries installed. The batteries serve as a back-up during power failures. There is no problem having both. All of my thermostats have been fine wth short power blips and longer outages. I think the Amazon customer you quoted did something wrong in his connections.
          Last edited by rprade; October 21st, 2018, 09:38 AM.
          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

rprade thank you. that will let me sleep better.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesmbell View Post
              rprade thank you. that will let me sleep better.
              I trust your experience, and added batts. But I noticed this in the spec sheet:
              "24V operation requires both 24VAC (R) and 24VAC common (C) wires from the HVAC System - DO NOT use batteries when using 24V power"

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/produc...rmostat-DS.pdf

Seems ok. I have both power sources now.

Is there a manual that outlines the details of the node. I am curious how to use a script or event action to do the same thing as post #2 "test connectivity" so if the node is in an other than normal state or does not respond to frame, I can get alerted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesmbell View Post

I trust your experience, and added batts. But I noticed this in the spec sheet:
                "24V operation requires both 24VAC (R) and 24VAC common (C) wires from the HVAC System - DO NOT use batteries when using 24V power"
                I saw that and chose to ignore it I did a cursory test of measuring voltages to the battery terminals when connected to 24V and for any voltage to terminals when the unit was only powered by batteries. There was none. These thermostats have been in place for most of this year with batteries and without issue.

I don't know of a way to use scripting to test connectivity. There may be a plug-in function, but I don't know it. If the batteries prevent the thermostat from becoming confused, the need to check communication will be eliminated.
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I saw that and chose to ignore it I did a cursory test of measuring voltages to the battery terminals when connected to 24V and for any voltage to terminals when the unit was only powered by batteries. There was none. These thermostats have been in place for most of this year with batteries and without issue.

I don't know of a way to use scripting to test connectivity. There may be a plug-in function, but I don't know it. If the batteries prevent the thermostat from becoming confused, the need to check communication will be eliminated.
                  awesome. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X