Trane XL624 Heat Reporting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trane XL624 Heat Reporting Issue

I have a Trane XL624, and when the operating state changes to heating, this error shows up in the log. Is there somewhere I can look and determine what value the stat is sending in order to debug? I saw where someone posted they just trigger their events based on the Invalid State which they report works fine. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Ok, so the above Error is from the newer firmware 2.5. I have two in service right now with the older 2.31, and they will not actuate the fan status (two units, cant be a coincidence), but the Operating state seems to be working on both. I think maybe it's the newer firmware which has issues with the operating state. I think fan state is the lesser of the two evils, as I can easily actuate the fan state with the operating state in the hstouch screens, but trying to work around the operating state failure is a bag of worms.

Comment

That's not the newer firmware. I have the same version and have had the same issue since day 1. Actually, I got a second XL624 as a replacement - same firmware, same error. This only happens with the operating state going to "Heating" and does not happen when "Cooling". I had tried to get HS support to acknowledge the issue, even tried to over write the status myself to something else but in the end, I just live with it. When my daughter was living at home, I turned on and off a booster fan base on this state without issue.
      I've tried to get the updated firmware of 2.12 since 2.5 is actually 2.05 to no avail. I tried Trane and service providers. Since it's not part of the Nexia eco system, I was told I'm out of luck.
      All in all, it works fine (Doesn't look the best on the status page) and works without issue even using Imperihome. Otherwise, I really like the stat and the fact it reports humidity. I have never had an issue with this stat other than this.

Robert

Edit: I just disable logging of this device which isn't necessary anyway.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

So the newest is 2.12 you think? I bought a Nexia controller, and connected the 2.5 stat to it, but could not find an 'Update firmware' button anywhere. I haven't connected a 2.31 to the Nexia yet, and am not sure it wise since it may update automatically, and make the 2.31 fail the Operating State. And yes, the 2.5 only has issue with the Heating operation, and as I stated earlier, the 2.31 isn't reporting fan state, but doesn't report any errors.

Comment

When I go to my XL624 'About' tab, it states the firmware as 2.05. What does your 2.31 stats report?
          I know someone else on here has one which is 2.12 and they had mentioned it was newer than 2.5 which is actually 2.05.

I think the Nexia controller requires a service subscription...
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

In the TStats about, I get Version:020500 for the 2.5 one, and 023100 for the 2.31. In Homeseer, in the Root Device, the firmware says 2.5, and 2.31 respectively. I've been looking in the Root Device>Current Firmware. Also, there's an "Application Version" in the Root>ZWave>About that says "2.5", or "2.31" respectively.
            I get Z-Wave Version:035206 for both. I can't find a mfg date listed anywhere. I can't fathom listing a version 0205 as 2.5 instead of 2.0, that makes no sense.

Comment

Well I signed up and everything, I had to 'Upgrade Service', which appeared I was going to be charged in the shopping cart, but later in the checkout it said payment due 0.00, so I didn't have to pay for anything. I mean other than the $90 brick which sole purpose was to upgrade the firmware. Thinking about sending it back considering I couldn't find the upgrade firmware button.

Comment

That's too bad. Yeah, it looks like your two other stats are a higher rev. When I contacted HS support, they did say that HS3 supports the XR524 but it doesn't report humidity.
                This was a while back. Perhaps it might be worth a shot to contact them. On the other hand, you can just live with it like I do. Everything else works without issue.

Comment

Where can I actually get the firmware? I did go on Tran's website but couldn't located and firmware updater.

Comment

It's not publicly available. Man... I've tried to get it. Contacted Trane who directed me to local service techs who basically told me I was out of luck if I wasn't a Nexia client.
                    I've really given up and just put up with the issue. It doesn't stop any of the functionality of the stat. Along with that, it really has been super reliable working well in every capacity including ImperiHome. I just disabled logging the activity on the operating state by checking "Do not log commands from this device". I'll put up with the Question mark (?) when it is heating on the device management page for high reliability. No problem during Cooling.... Of course if you find it, I'd be happy if you shared it...

Robert

Comment

Well, I wouldn't mind the wrong status report but my device starts the AC when it's supposed to heat (the AC part works fine, i.e. it cools when it's supposed to cool). It's really strange because it says heating but starts the AC. After a couple of minutes it briefly stops and goes into heating stage 2 (although mine only has one stage). That indeed starts the heater (I can hear it come on) but the AC is still going too (it appears) so it never really gets to the setpoint.

I bought it used and the person said he had that kind of issue. Having said that, I have one 624 that works fine and has firmware 22100. The one with the issue has firmware 20500. So I wanted to try 22100 on the one that has the problem. I doubt it will solve it but it's worth a try.

Comment

I had a similar problem once when I first wired it. The A.C came on but the furnace also started heating. Turned out to be a wiring problem. Sorry to ask, but are you sure it's wired right? Alternatively, you can always throw the breaker on the A.C. Sounds sound weird though...

Another thing that just occurred to me is have you gone into the "Installer mode" to check the configuration? You do this by holding the Menu button for 5 seconds on the stat. Perhaps your equipment is set wrong.

Comment

I am pretty sure it's wired correctly. I had other thermostats before and they worked fine. Also, when I switch the two 624 the wrong behavior goes from one zone to the other and the correct one to the other zone (I leave the backplate/wiring as is and just move the 'brain'). I then disconnected the AC (Y-wiring) and initially this worked for heating. But then suddenly only the fan came on and the heater stayed off.

I tried to get into the "Installer mode" but was not successful. When the display is off then nothing happens, no matter how long I press the menu button (only the backlight comes on). When the display is on then when I press the menu button (and keep it pressed) it goes to the first submenu (user settings) but then just stays there, even if I keep the button pressed for some 10s.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. You have to press the menu button until you get to service. Then press the select button for 5s. I played with some settings but it hasn't helped yet. I might just buy a new unit but it's discouraging that they don't allow firmware upgrades unless you have a Nexia.

Comment

I'm currently migrating to HS from Vera, part of the reason is that I couldn't find a good Z wave stat that integrated well with Vera and still had all the functions a good stat should have. I'm an HVAC guy by trade, and an American Standard (same thing as Trane, just a different color) dealer. I've installed and used every single one of the Nexia stats, and I have active Nexia dealer account access (I can directly download all the Trane/AS stat firmware upgrades outside of Nexia).

I can tell you up front, there's no way to update the firmware on a 524/624, even with Nexia. It's not even available to me, and there's no way to get the stat into "update" mode.

Comment

Working...
                            X