XL624, XR524, Or? + XL624/XR524 Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL624, XR524, Or? + XL624/XR524 Difference

Some time ago I was thinking of replacing my 'dumb' thermostats with Ecobee's as I like the built-in Alexa and the remote sensors. However, I changed my mind as I consider a different setup, i.e.

* Install the thermostats next to the heater (one in the garage, one in a closet)
    * Put a small tablet with HSTouch at the original location of the thermostats. Since there are wires going to those locations I can use them to provide power to the tablets.

With this setup I can control the heater through the tablet but in case HomeSeer is down I still have manual control through the thermostats even if they are not at a convenient location. Also, by choosing a thermostat that allows local programming on the thermostat (just like my current 'dumb' ones) I also stay independent of HomeSeer.

So now the question is what thermostat accommodates this scenario the best. I think it's going to be the XR524 or XL624. I am not quite sure what the difference is as Trane only lists the XL624 (and HomeSeer recommends the XR524):

* Is the only functional difference that the XL624 has a humidity sensor?
    * Can the firmware be upgraded on both or just the LX624?
    * Does the XR524 also have the status issue that people on this forum talk about regarding the XL624?

Besides the Trane thermostats I also considered the following ones but ruled them out. Did I miss anything?

* Honeywell ZWSTAT: Looks ugly and is a bit expensive
    * 2git CT100: Does not allow to set a schedule on the thermostat. Depends completely on HS
    * GoControl GC-TBZ45: Does not allow to set a schedule on the thermostat. Depends completely on HS
    * Trans XL824: Only works with Trane 3-wire communication system
    * RCS TZ45: Expensive but does support wireless temperature sensors. Not sure if it works with HS nativly.
    * Evolve T-100R: Seems to be the same as RCS TZ45.

Btw, if it matters, apparently we only have a single stage heater/AC despite this being a rather new system. I failed to look into heating systems and trusted our contractor on that part. So the only wires we have is C/W/RC/G/Y (and RH/RC are bridged).

mulu, did you come to a decision on this yet?

We are building currently and are installing a radiant floor system (the hot water tubes, not electric) with no AC system. So just heat-only. I am looking mostly to use HS for monitoring and management of the thermostats via zwave but haven't settled on a model yet. Your short-list above is pretty much where I am now too. I am leaning to the 524 currently.

Comment

I don't like to be the contrarian, but, how big of a deal is it that the scheduling sits inside HomeSeer for GoControl/2gig models? How often is your HomeSeer server failing?

Comment

I never use scheduling from my xl624. HomeSeer does all the lifting..
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I went with the Trane XL624. I believe the only difference to the 524 is the humidity sensor. The XL624 is gray and I believe the 524 is white. So if gray doesn't quite work with your décor then the 524 might be a better choice. One of the main reasons I went with the XL624 (and the 524 is probably the same) is that it allows you to use a remote sensor which either completely replaces the one built into the 624 or uses averaging. The reason I want a remote sensor is because I plan to hide the thermostats close to where the heater/AC is but the temperature reading will be useless there. Where the thermostat was I will put some kind of LCD (still need to decide on that) which HSTouch installed. Controlling the thermostat is then done through HSTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
            I went with the Trane XL624. I believe the only difference to the 524 is the humidity sensor. The XL624 is gray and I believe the 524 is white. So if gray doesn't quite work with your décor then the 524 might be a better choice. One of the main reasons I went with the XL624 (and the 524 is probably the same) is that it allows you to use a remote sensor which either completely replaces the one built into the 624 or uses averaging. The reason I want a remote sensor is because I plan to hide the thermostats close to where the heater/AC is but the temperature reading will be useless there. Where the thermostat was I will put some kind of LCD (still need to decide on that) which HSTouch installed. Controlling the thermostat is then done through HSTouch.
            I didn't realize (didn't read that yet) the 624 can use a remote sensor. I really like that idea as well since it would be nice to reduce wall units. It could also be a bit cheaper not having to run the full wiring up to every zone location for a wall unit, and then having to find the "right place" to have the wall unit for asthetics + accurate readings.

What do you use as a remote sensor and how is it mounted and run?

A nice thing about radiant floor heat is you really don't adjust the temp setting much. It takes a while to bring the thermal mass up to temp but then it also takes a long time for it to cool off. So a steady consistent temp under most conditions is preferred. But leveraging HS you can get a little more creative with the scheduling than you would probably do with a basic wall unit. Having the sensors all central located next to the distribution for the radiant, on a single wall panel labeled with the same zone numbers would be nice.

Comment

The remote sensor that officially works with the 624 is ZZSENSAL0400AA. The unit is a little bit large and at $30-$40 not cheap. I googled for alternatives but didn't really find anything. Hence, in another thread I asked if somebody used an alternative. No response yet.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-remote-sensor

I am actually going to use the existing thermostat wiring to power the LCD/tablet. So on the heater/AC side I will disconnect the cable and then wire a 5V power supply to it. Then I will get some new wire to wire the thermostat close by the heater/AC.

Floor heating is nice to have. I was thinking about this but we would still have needed the ducting for the AC so we ended up not doing it.

Comment

Working...
              X