Thermostat recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat recommendation

I currently have Nest Gen2 with Spud's plugin and am looking to get a thermostat for a second home.
    With the Nest API's being shut down, I'm trying to figure out what is the best option.
    I want good HS3 integration and remote occupancy/temp sensors. It's a summer home so most of the time the house will not be occupied.

Any recommendations that are best with HS?

Thanks

The Ecobee is highly rated and has a very good plugin for HS3.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article/356755...rt-thermostats
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I bought a Nest a couple of months before Google took over, and immediately started looking for alternatives if I ever moved to a new location. That move is in progress now, and my search from 5-years ago is still valid to get an EcoBee. The older EcoBee3 is still fine as a choice if you do not care that much for added Amazon Alexa integration where thermostat can act as a speaker/microphone to talk with Alexa. If you got a large home, or have multiple zones on your HVAC then be sure to get extra sensors from the start. Of course with HomeSeer integration you can rely on your Z-Wave sensors, but it is always nice to have a backup in case something fails. That way when temps go sub-zero, or above 100F and something fails to communicate with Z-Wave that the EcoBee is capable of adjusting stand-alone.

Also looked at dedicated Z-Wave thermostats at the time, but they were terrible in design. Seen a few new models appear recently, but the EcoBee has a much better appearance for me, and added features.

PS: Spud's plugin for EcoBee would be the one to go with

PPS: Just to make sure, API for Nest is getting replaced by API for Google, and your Nest thermostat can still communicate via API. Just have no idea if spud will be able to update the Nest plugin instantly at the end of this month, or has already done so (v3.0.0.31 is latest version from Feb 1st 2018). Personally I'd get an EcoBee regardless of what Google is doing with Nest.

Comment

I have two EcoBee3s and am very satisfied. They are reasonably good looking and work well, coordinating with each other transparently. Their only weakness is that they depend on a cloud server for the connection to HS, so when the server goes down the link to HS is broken.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

If you are indeed worried about internet going down and loosing HomeSeer control connection, then a pure Z-Wave thermostat would be the way to go.

The Remotec Smart Thermostat (ZTS-500) is Z-Wave compatible and one of the new designs that took inspiration from EcoBee in the way it looks. You will then have to program your own weather logic into HomeSeer though, meaning that when you set a Nest or EcoBee to 74F during the winter when you return home to a cold 52F house that it is aware that the weather outside is about to go 68F and that it does not have to waste a lot of energy (saved a bunch of money myself with this weather logic during cold Ohio weather).

Server death that happened to the Jibo robot is not likely to happen to smart thermostats due to their market dominance in HVAC as even power companies are handing them out, such as the Nest E for free/rebate.

Comment

I think I'm leaning towards the ecobee. One of the factors is that my wife prefers to use the nest app versus the HS3 app to control temps. Does ecobee have a good app she could still use? Also - in the house the kids bedroom gets colder than the living area so I wanted to have a sensor in the bedroom that is used for setting the house temperature at the kids bedtime. Can I do that with ecobee? I read that ecobee can't do it but maybe HS can? What about honeywell? They look nice but not sure on function. Thank you.

Comment

denisl that is why I recommended to immediately get the EcoBee with extra sensor packs, because it then offers occupancy detection and room temperature control.

Google app = https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile&hl=en_US
              Apple app = https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ecobee/id916985674

However, the extra sensors ensure that when you want a nice warm 74F home that the entire home is that temperature and not have a warm hallway, but cold room on the other side. Not sure EcoBee has any options to program a specific time to match adjustment based on occupancy/sleep-time in a specific room, but like you said, HomeSeer control will allow you to add whatever you want.

Did the same with Nest at old location, because the 2-week training to automate schedule was a disaster; quickly shut that off and manually programmed it via Z-Wave sensor data and events to be much more accurate (limited by Vera3 controller).

I'm going to dig deeper into the ZTS-500 myself as it is on sale right now and I've been satisfied with other Remotec devices. This house has three old dial thermostats, and being able to put a ZTS-500 at each location with LCD feedback and control. would benefit the acceptance factor for other occupants that are hesitant of mobile app control. Difference for me is going to be if HVAC is multi-zoned as then I have to go with EcoBee as well. Don't feel like going into boiler room with a flashlight, so will do that tomorrow

Comment

Aprilaire also has a good thermostat and plugin option.

Comment

If you go with Ecobee just be aware that the polling rate is very, very, very slow. I have several events that react in real time to thermostat changes (manual or programmed) and the Nest response is immediate. From what I understand that is not possible with Ecobee so I am now looking at serial or local Wi-Fi options. Z-Wave is only practical if all of your thermostats are close enough to talk directly to your Z-Wave controller.

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
                    I think I'm leaning towards the ecobee. One of the factors is that my wife prefers to use the nest app versus the HS3 app to control temps. Does ecobee have a good app she could still use?
                    Yes.

Also - in the house the kids bedroom gets colder than the living area so I wanted to have a sensor in the bedroom that is used for setting the house temperature at the kids bedtime. Can I do that with ecobee? I read that ecobee can't do it but maybe HS can?
                    The Ecobee does use remote sensors, but I'm not sure if the remote can be set to override the internal sensor in the thermostat. Ecobee sensors also detect occupancy and they claim that if a sensor detects occupancy, then the reading from that sensor is given additional weight. I have not tried to verify that.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                      If you go with Ecobee just be aware that the polling rate is very, very, very slow. I have several events that react in real time to thermostat changes (manual or programmed) and the Nest response is immediate. From what I understand that is not possible with Ecobee
                      Good point. It appears that my Ecobees get polled at 3-5 minute intervals, which I find to be acceptable for my use, but it's good to be aware of that. (I have two that are linked, and they respond to one another almost instantly, it's the cloud server that polls slowly.)

Comment

I have been very happy with my Trane Thermostat. Looks a little bit old school I suppose, but never have had a problem with it in more than five years its been in service (knock on wood), first with Vera and then Homeseer.

Comment

Took one of the old thermostats off the walls here and they are still Honeywell mercury based and only have R+W wires, so ordered 3x ZTS-500 as it has FLiRS support (if C-wire is missing for 24V AC) on 4x AA that according to specs should last a year. Was $199 total for all three from a distributor I've ordered many parts from before, so ended up saving money versus one Ecobee3 with 2 extra sensors.

Comment

Working...
                          X