Trane/ American Standard 724 tested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trane/ American Standard 724 tested

I know some of you have been looking for this info.

I finally got my hands on a 724 stat. I've actually had it sitting on my desk for a few weeks, but just now have gotten around to opening the box.

As I suspected- Ingersoll Rand has pushed Nexia. The 724 will not directly connect to a Z wave hub. It doesn't even connect to a Nexia hub. It will only connect to wifi. The kicker is that you need to use the Nexia app in order to configure the stat to your network. It is free, but it's cumbersome. The app now includes a special connection feature specifically for the 724. To start, you set the stat into "connect" mode, it starts it's own ad-hoc wifi. Then you connect your mobile device to the network, then enter the pairing code. The app then sets up the stat wifi connection, and switches your device back off the ad-hoc network. Now you've got control of the stat through the app.

I did a bit of looking around here to find a plugin that will control a generic wifi stat. I didn't find one. Does anyone know of one? I would assume the plugin would need the API (now I'm outside my understanding zone) of the stat to control it?

If you're looking for a Zwave Trane thermostat, use either the 624 or 524. As you discovered, the 724 only talks Z-wave to it's internal Zwave hub and then via Wifi to the Nexis hub. Pretty sure there's no API for Nexis.

Curiously, I'm just finishing testing the Honeywell Z-wave thermostat as a replacement for the 2 - 624's I've had fail on power bumps. I suspect the supercapacitor backup has weakened due to age. Unfortunately they fail in to Electric AC unit and Heat, so my Heat pump system becomes a heater in the summer, usually when I'm 100's of miles from home

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
      Curiously, I'm just finishing testing the Honeywell Z-wave thermostat as a replacement for the 2 - 624's I've had fail on power bumps.
      Which unit are you testing?
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I wasn't looking for a new stat. I'm an American Standard dealer, and I had discussed the 724 in a few other threads. I let others know that once I had one, I would test it's Z-wave capabilities.

The 724 doesn't have any z-wave antenna built in. It also doesn't have a built in Nexia hub. It will only communicate with a wifi router. Once it's connected to the router, it will connect to the Nexia server. There is no z-wave communication at all.

I'm interested to hear more about your 624 failures. On power loss, they should default to "off" mode, not heat or cool.

Comment

Working...
        X