Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Disappeared

Hey guys,
    I am looking for thoughts on what may have happened with one of my RCS TZ45 stats. I have two of these, like them a lot and never had any issues.

Yesterday, after I was working up in the attic, running some Cat6, I noticed that the stat screen for the heater up in the attic went dead. The screen gets its power from the connection panel in the heater, so since the breaker wasn't tripped and on/off did not help, I got a ladder and climbed back up to the attic (after already taking a shower and cleaning up!!!). Anyway, all of the connections were still looking solid, I wiggled each wire, re-attached the cover, and climbed down, thinking what to do at 10 pm on a holiday and planning to sleep family in the basement. using the first level heater.

To my surprise, now the thermostat's display was lit. I adjusted the temperature, as a test, and the heater turned on. Something in my head told me, "Check Homeseer too". So I did. No response. Tested the connection: failed to connect. Tried adding it using Z-Tool+ on my iPhone and the thermostat was found and added as a completely new node. I had to manually delete all of the old devices, rename the new devices to my naming routine, optimize, etc. Then I had to reload all of the schedules and change all of the events, to reflect the "new" thermostat. Can't delete the old node now: no device to exclude.

So the question is: why did that happen? How did the thermostat loose its association with Homeseer?

Not like I never cut the power off before. Do it almost every week, repairing / building/ etc. Of course this time I did not cut the power, but rather lost the power to the thermostat, presumably. I expected that upon restoring power it will just work. I did not expect having to not only re-add it, but add it as a completely new node...

Definitely very odd. I've had our Honeywell "lose connection" (says on the front panel) to HS3 a couple of times, which is disconcerting, but pulling it from the wall and pushing it back on re establishes connection.

Not sure what would cause HS3 to just lose a device like that. Did it re-add with the same node #?

The only other thing I can think of is that for some strange reason the device sent something that was interpreted by HS3 as a request to be removed, although that doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
      Did it re-add with the same node #?

The only other thing I can think of is that for some strange reason the device sent something that was interpreted by HS3 as a request to be removed, although that doesn't make much sense.
      Nope. Added as a copmpletely new mode. Now the old node will not disappear and can't seem to get it removed...

Comment

To delete a stubborn node do an import on the zwave tab, that will create a device, named "Sigma...".
        Then go into that device and on the Z-Wave tab click "Remove".
        Sometimes it gives a message that it can't remove the device but has really removed it.
        To check, restart the interface from the function menu, or disable and re-enable the plugin, then go to the node info page and see if its gone.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          To delete a stubborn node do an import on the zwave tab, that will create a device, named "Sigma...".
          Then go into that device and on the Z-Wave tab click "Remove".
          Sometimes it gives a message that it can't remove the device but has really removed it.
          To check, restart the interface from the function menu, or disable and re-enable the plugin, then go to the node info page and see if its gone.
          Thanks, Rupp! That has worked. It indeed "failed to remove" the node, but after restarting the z-wave plugin, the node was gone!

Comment

Working...
          X