Ecobee Hold Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecobee Hold Action

I would like to be able to set the Ecobee Hold Action to "Until I change it" when I am away from home, and to "Until the next scheduled activity" when I am home, via a HS3 event. I do not see that this is possible right now. Would that be something you could add in a future release?

When I set my alarm, HS3 runs an event to set the Ecobee to Away and holds it until I return, when HS3 runs a resume event for the Ecobee, hours or days later. That works great.

But occasionally when I am home, I want more granular control of the Ecobee than the 30 minute intervals it provides (I've asked them to change that to 15 mins., but nothing has changed over the last year). I can't do that currently with HS3, as it will hold to that change until I physically go to the Ecobee and resume programming while I am at home. Hence, I'd like to be able to make the change to the Hold Action in your program. Thanks.
    Last edited by mdavison; January 29, 2018, 08:32 AM.

added to my TODO list

Comment

I agree a HOLD action would be very helpful

Comment

in version 3.0.0.26 available in the Beta section of the updater I have added a "Set Hold Action Setting" event action.

Comment

I just saw this post and I realize it is quite old… hopefully you are still monitoring the discussion.

i use the Ecobee Hold Action to compensate for what is a odd situation on my Ecobee 3. I am now running HS4 and I use the embedded Hold Action.

The problem I have is that I have 3 Ecobee 3s running in my house and I really need to be able to set this Ecobee Action by device, not a generic option.

Just curious, with a generic setting, what happens when there is more than one Ecobee system running?

Please let me know if you think you might be able to help

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
            in version 3.0.0.26 available in the Beta section of the updater I have added a "Set Hold Action Setting" event action.
            I am not sure if everyone is notified when sometime is posted to the Homeseer Forum. I just wanted to try to assure the last post is exposed to you as well. Your responses indicated you are involved with the Ecobee Add-In… if so, I wanted to tickle you with the question too.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayMaster View Post
              I just saw this post and I realize it is quite old… hopefully you are still monitoring the discussion.

i use the Ecobee Hold Action to compensate for what is a odd situation on my Ecobee 3. I am now running HS4 and I use the embedded Hold Action.

The problem I have is that I have 3 Ecobee 3s running in my house and I really need to be able to set this Ecobee Action by device, not a generic option.

Just curious, with a generic setting, what happens when there is more than one Ecobee system running?

Please let me know if you think you might be able to help
              I confirm that the Hold Action setting is global, so it applies to all your thermostats.
              Every time you create a "hold" from HS for one of your thermostat this setting is used, for example when you change the heat or cool setpoint. But note that this setting is only used when the action is triggered from HS, if you change the setpoint directly from the physical thermostat this setting has no impact.

If you need a specific hold setting for one specific thermostat, what you can try is to change this setting to the correct value using the event action just before you change the heat/cool setpoint.

i.e
              Set Hold Action Setting to X
              Change Heat setpoint for themostat 1
              Set Hold Action Setting to Y
              Change Heat setpoint for themostat 2
              etc...

Comment

spud Thank you for responding.

Taking your example… once the Hold Action is set and the Setpoint Event command is issued, I assume the change in the hold action will be visible in the Hold Action setting on the physical thermostat after the normal cloud communications delay.

I have seen my Ecobee 3s (in the past) that were set to “Until I change it” randomly self reset to “Until next scheduled event”. I had the heat mode Comfort settings set low as a safety, so if that happens it essentially stops heating.

What I had done on my current home automation system to prevent this from being a problem, is to issue a “Until I change it” command every time the heat Setpoint is changed to essentially put that thermostat in a “Hold Indefinitely “ state.

The example you provide will help me do the same thing with HS4.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X