No announcement yet.

Auxiliary heat status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you share a more detailed picture of your wiring set-up using the attached terminal as a reference only.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Ecobee.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1340945

Comment

This is what I have wired:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1000.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1341022

Comment

Just to confirm we see things the same way.
        • RC is your 24VAC from your heat pump
        • C is the Common from your heat pump
        • G is the Ecobee Fan command to your Heat pump
        • Y1 is the Ecobee Cool command to your Heat pump
        • W1 is the Ecobee Heat command to your Heat pump
        • So R,C,G,Y and W are ALL terminals on your Heat pump
        If this is the case, where does your electrical back-up connect to? Is it controlled by the Heat pump? I will need a bit more info on it.

Cheers.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. The heat pump and furnace are integrated: The thermostat lines from the Ecobee connect at the furnace as do the lines from the outdoor compressor. The control board on the furnace integrates all functions (heat pump/compressor, fan, aux electric) and will call the heat-pump/compressor as required for stage1 heating, then activate the electric heating element (Aux1) as needed fore stage 2. I think it's a pretty standard setup for forced air electric.

Progress! Just now got an Email back from Ecobee confirming that they have manually changed the "hasElectric": false flag to "true" for my account. I now see the Aux heat on device, so I think we are good. Like I mentioned; not sure if I'll stick with the Ecobee or try to build a z-wave solution for better response and control. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Automate View Post
            Yes, you are correct. The heat pump and furnace are integrated: The thermostat lines from the Ecobee connect at the furnace as do the lines from the outdoor compressor. The control board on the furnace integrates all functions (heat pump/compressor, fan, aux electric) and will call the heat-pump/compressor as required for stage1 heating, then activate the electric heating element (Aux1) as needed fore stage 2.
            This is where I was heading. Since your heating system has an onboard controller taking car of the stages/Aux. requirements, the Ecobee now only serves has an On/Off command for Heat, Cool, Fan. Now that tech support has manually turned that "haselectric" flag to true mean this from my humble point of view :
            • The Ecobee will run it's internal algorithm based on time lapsed and temperature differential and eventually call for Aux. heat. At that point Spud's plugin Aux. Status will become On. But in reality that Electrical Aux. output and command is being handled by the heating system onboard controller. As is, there is no communication of that real status between the Ecobee and your system. So what I would expect is absolutely no correlation between HS Aux status and actual Aux. status.
            • Also only based on what I can see, in order to have the Ecobee control the Aux. heat and have the plug-in report that status, you would need additional wires from the Ecobee to your Aux. heat in order for it to control that Aux. and the Device status to reflect that state.
            • If the above is true there would be other way to pick-up your Aux. heat status.
            Like I mentioned; not sure if I'll stick with the Ecobee or try to build a z-wave solution for better response and control.
            Only because I'm curious, what kind of HVAC related sequence are you wanting that cannot wait the 5 minutes poll? Usually, HVAC system are running independently while the control integration reads statuses or change the setpoint based on some logic and unless you have a badly controlled steam boiler, not much critical things can change in 5 minutes. Again, it is just curiosity.

Comment

Yes, that makes sense. I thought the furnace control board was only providing "dumb" relay functions, and that the function of calling for auxiliary heat was only done by the thermostat by way of the W1 wire. But it makes sense that it this could also be a function of the control board. You've got me thinking, and I'll need to experiment to prove this out. Yes, if this is how this particular furnace works, then I'll need to monitor the aux heat in some other way. Not a huge deal, but this is why I bought a "smart" thermostat.

For the control and monitoring, I'm working on integrating automation with ceiling fans to assist with air movement. It could wait the 5 mins, as it's generally not critical, but I'd like the control of a quicker response. In addition, I'm trying to learn where my energy is going. I want to know when the system goes into aux mode - the Ecobee reports when it goes over the alert time, but this can only be set to a minimum of 30 mins. I want to be able to correlate the timing of heating (and cooling) events, with in-house events such as doors opening, or occupancy of rooms, etc. Having "instant" reporting to HS would make this comparison much easier.

Anyway, it's all just an experiment at this stage to see what capabilities I can utilize to be a bit more efficient in my energy use.

Comment

Originally posted by Automate View Post
                Yes, that makes sense. I thought the furnace control board was only providing "dumb" relay functions, and that the function of calling for auxiliary heat was only done by the thermostat by way of the W1 wire. But it makes sense that it this could also be a function of the control board. You've got me thinking, and I'll need to experiment to prove this out.
                I'm almost certain this is what you'll conclude. And this might be why the Ecobee also "concluded" the same thing initially.

..then I'll need to monitor the aux heat in some other way. Not a huge deal, but this is why I bought a "smart" thermostat.
                Can you run more wires between your system and the Ecobee?

For the control and monitoring, I'm working on integrating automation with ceiling fans to assist with air movement. It could wait the 5 mins, as it's generally not critical, but I'd like the control of a quicker response.
                Of course when you're sitting in front of the screen, (5) minutes is like forever. If I may suggest, air stratification is happening regardless of your heating system running status. Have you evaluate the possibility of having these fans run at low speed based on other and larger conditions like Winter/Summer or if outside temp is lower then XX.

..I want to be able to correlate the timing of heating (and cooling) events, with in-house events such as doors opening, or occupancy of rooms, etc.
                Again, only my two cents of advice. For many years I only had electric baseboards. I was initially very aggressive with the set-point lowering and increasing as soon as we were in or out. The thing is that the more you lower your in-occupancy set-point, the more energy you need when you get back. Then not only the air needs to be re-heated but also everything else ; wall, ceiling, floor, furniture etc... Heat always moves to the coldest elements. So I'm not saying that temperature setback is not a saving. Just that it is not as huge as we would think. One exception that I'm working on is by adding Door/window sensor to every opening. If in summer we open doors or windows for X minutes then turn off AC. Note that the 5 minutes polling is for retrieving information but command from the plug-in to the Ecobee are almost instant.

Now, since summer 2018, I have an heat-pump with baseboard Aux. back-up. What I've learned is that heat-pumps are not suited for quick temperature changes and this is when your costly Aux. electric heat will come on. And in summer, if you cool to fast you prevent proper humidity removal. This is my second winter and I'm still tuning things but one thing is certain, I only set-back a few degrees (1-2C) and only if I'm away for quite some time. Since I'm not working, I don't have a fixed schedule that I can implement so for the moment I'm using geo-localization to lower/increase the set-point. Based on my region, if I'm away more then 25 km, chances are that I'm gone somewhere for a good part of the day.

Again, the HVAC world is not a fast reacting ecosystem. Temperature, humidity, these things needs time to properly equalize.

Comment

Working...
                X