Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I need Ecobee cloud service to use the plug-in with HS 4 - Yes you do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I need Ecobee cloud service to use the plug-in with HS 4 - Yes you do!

My electric company is offering rebates on Ecobees so generous, I'd be nuts not to buy them. I just got 2 Ecobee3s for $44 a piece. I am on pre-order for HS4, so I do not currently own the HS3 plug-in. Will have to sign up for Ecobees cloud or can I do everything through HS? Thanks for any response.

In HS3 the plug-in does not communicate directly with the Ecobees. It goes thru Ecobee's API, pushing or polling status to/from their servers. So in HS3 you do need an Ecobee free account. If Ecobee's servers or internet goes down, you loose communication with your T-Stats. However they keep working with their last known setting or schedule.

I know Ecobee's support will be built-in in HS4 but I don't think the approach will be different.

Spud will surely jump in to confirm.

Comment

I confirm what Michel said, there is no local API for Ecobee thermostats so both HS3 and HS4 plugins communicate with the Ecobee's cloud servers. You just need a regular Ecobee free account to make it work.

Comment

Thank you both for the reply. My previous thermostats were RCS serial communicating directly. I was hoping these would communicate directly.

Comment

Working...
        X