Buying EcoBee, but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying EcoBee, but which one?

I'm replacing an old RCS TR40 thermostat connected to HS3 via RS232/485 with a new wifi one. I looked at Honeywell, Nest, and EcoBee, and believe the EcoBee is the best for my purposes. I also like that I can display custom messages on it. Our t-stat is in a frequently walked-past hallway, so I use the message feature to remind/notify me of all kinds of events like dead batteries on motion sensors and stuff. My old RCS and it has a little red light that blinks to let me know there is a new message.

So, a few questions about the Ecobee:
    1. Do all the EcoBee's (3 lite and 4) support the message capability?
    2. Is there any visual indicator to let you know there is a new message posted?
    3. Other than Alexa (which I don't need), are there any major differences? I'm probably going to buy one with a least one remote sensor.
    Thanks for input!

I was attracted to the same feature for the same reason, but in practice I found that it doesn't really do what I wanted. There is no indicator. I ended up adding the message communication to my HSTouch tablets. In the end, I think that was a better move anyway. HSTouch is a very versatile interface to HS, well beyond sharing messages, though it does require climbing a significant learning curve.
    Overall, though, my Ecobee3s just work and require almost no attention from me now that they are set up. I am very happy with them.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I use HSTouch extensively. BTW, Uncle Michael, which Ecobee do you have?

Comment

The message worked for me. I have an Ecobee3. (not Lite, not 4) Here's my event:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thermostat Message Test.PNG Views:	0 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	1381040

And here's the result:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20200426_175859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	1381041

You have to hit OK to do anything else on the thermostat. I don't know how long it stays up though... at least 5 minutes. There may not be an indicator light per se, but a giant white screen will grab your attention from across the room.

Comment

Originally posted by B1Trash View Post
          You have to hit OK to do anything else on the thermostat. I don't know how long it stays up though... at least 5 minutes.
          Thanks for going out of your way to test and take pics. Very helpful!

I suspect it's on the 3 Lite then, because I think 3 lite may just be a new name given to the 3 when the 4 came out. After the message displays for 5 minutes (or whatever) I presume the t-stat eventually goes dark. If you wake it up to do something does the message still appear and require you to OK it before making temp adjustments? Do you know if you have another message occur before you OK'd the first that you will be confronted with the 2nd message after OK'ing the first?

Comment

Give me a sec

Comment

Ok, so here's my new test setup:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat Message Test #2.PNG
Views:	448
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1381049

And here is what was on the thermostat after waiting a minute:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_181723.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1381050

So it looks like it displays whatever message came in last. It's been up for the last 15 minutes and doesn't seem to be going away. In fact I'm pretty sure that in the past I've had messages from the thermostat (filter changes, service due, etc) that were there after we got home. I can say with at least 43% certainty that the message will not ever disappear on its own. The thermostat has also messaged us for issues in the past. Last winter we got this message:

There may be a problem with the Furnace. For the past 2 hours the thermostat has been calling for heat, but the room temperature has decreased by 3.0F.

The pilot light was out and we were able to get it restarted, but it turned out we had a problem with the igniter. Probably would have figured it out eventually, but the message helped out. And to be completely honest, I was first alerted to the message via email, but it was there on the thermostat waiting for me as well. I was just blown away that it sent the notification in the first place. Pretty cool.

Ok, 15 minutes is long enough for me... I'm going to hit OK.

Allrighty, when I hit OK, the first message I sent cycled up. I hit OK on that message and now everything is back to normal.

Interestingly enough, the time on the message is out to lunch. It was 6:14 when I sent the message, but it displayed as 2:14 on the ecobee 3 screen as you can see in the photo above. I'm pretty sure that time zone is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and Alaska. The ecobee3 does have the correct time programmed in with the proper time zone, and it fires the schedule on time, so it looks like it's just an issue with the messaging.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have Ecobee 3
                This is exactly the behavior I encountered. The device will display only one message until you click 'OK'. I found it intrusive, unattractive, and not at all flexible. It appears to be designed as a way to convey information about the HVAC system. Using it for other types of messages is possible, but kind of hijacks the device in the process.
                I also suspect that the message has to go by way of Ecobee's servers to get from HS to the thermostat.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  I also suspect that the message has to go by way of Ecobee's servers to get from HS to the thermostat.
                  Dzee- This is another good point in that ALL traffic between HS3 and the ecobee thermostats go thru their servers. The data you see in homeseer may be on as much as a 4 minute delay from the thermostat, because the HS3 plugin only polls the servers that often. Spud can explain more why probably, or you can check out ecobee's API documentation here https://www.ecobee.com/home/develope...-summary.shtml. Anyhow, the thermostat is responsive to commands sent to it so long as the servers are working, but don't expect real-time data from it (time sensitive triggering). Overall, I'm happy with the thermostats and just ordered another pair of room sensors to use with it today. Oh, and I totally agree with Uncle Michael here:

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  I found it intrusive, unattractive, and not at all flexible. It appears to be designed as a way to convey information about the HVAC system. Using it for other types of messages is possible, but kind of hijacks the device in the process.
                  But if you're looking for alerts like dead batteries and such, it may just do the trick.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I realize the API is only accessible via the cloud. No surprise there.

I'm a IT professional and the security holes from a lot of these devices are so ridiculous I've put them on their own subnet. Like many of you, I think it's crazy that I can't talk to a device on my wifi network without going 3000 miles round trip to a cloud server that puts all control of security, privacy, and obsolesce in the hands of someone who wants to make money from me beyond the purchase of the device.

With a couple of exceptions, everything I've implemented either has a direct interface or I have been able to either use a plug-in or my own hacking of it to control it directly. Even though I've been able to do it for over 20 years with an old StarGate and phone control and then HS3, I don't need to change my thermostat while I'm someplace else. I do need one I can control from HA, though. Does any t-stat have a locally accessible API anymore? I'd be happy to roll my own, especially if the one differentiator (messaging) on the Ecobee doesn't work right anyway.

Comment

All this discussion led me to look some more, and I'm considering a Venstar T7850 with a local API

Comment

Looks like they have a lot of ways to talk to it. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

I bought the Venstar T7900. Nice tstat with both local api and cloud control. Use either, both, or none.

Working on plug in.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does the plug in work with the new Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice control? They are on sale for $199 right now and seem to have more features than the Ecobee4.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                              Does the plug in work with the new Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice control? They are on sale for $199 right now and seem to have more features than the Ecobee4.
                              yes, the plugin is compatible with all Ecobee thermostats

Comment

Working...
                              X