RC 80B Plugin Cooling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC 80B Plugin Cooling problem

I have had my RC 80B installed for a couple of months. The heating cycle worked just fine. When the cooling cycle was needed I changed the mode to cooling. I have a schedual set up for both cooling and heating. What happens when the cooling cycle is ready to run the A/C unit turns on and them immediatly off. It will not continue to run the cooling cycle. I have adjusted anticipation to zero no help. I have set the cycles per hour to a setting of 5. Still no help. If the thermostat is not connected to HS via com1 it works just fine on its own. Once connected the cooling cycle fails. Any thoughts or suggestions.... Dave

P4 3.2GHZ
    1gig mem
    HS 1.7.30
    HSP 2.0.186
    HAI Therm plugin 1.0.91
    W800

When you say "the cooling cycle turns on and immediately off", does the display on the RC80B go momentarily blank as well? If so, you have a problem with "power stealing" from the heating unit. Did you turn off the power to the heating unit for the summer?

Comment

RC 80 cooling problem

Boris B. I think your on to something. No I did not notice the display blanking out. However I had a local HVAC contractor add whole house air a few years back. They only have one 24v source I believe. I have oil heat for the furnace and a regulare A/C unit outside. I have to try and determine if this is what they did and how it was wired... Thanks for help any more help will be appreciated.
      Dave....

Comment

Try shutting off the backlight and then see if it works. The backlight draws a fair bit of power, and you might need to either add a common or reduce the brightness of the backlight.

Comment

RC 80 cooling problem

Anogee: Thanks that looks like it did it. Although it is cooling down now outside. I turned the backlight off. Turned on the A/C that is the longest it has ever run hooked up to HS. It cooled down the house a couple of degrees and then shut off. The real test will be when it gets hot again. BorisB and Anogee Thanks again for your help. Dave...

Comment

That dosen't explain why it worked when it was disconnected from the serial port?

Comment

RC 80 cooling problem

jpape: How true you are, any answers anyone?
              It did work fine when the serial cable was disconnected and the backllight was on all the time, for over a week. Now I am stumped. I will test some more tomorrow... Dave...

Comment

Sounds like you are working through other problems, but if you put about a 2K resistor in place instead of the jumper, usually you won't have a problem, and the thing will still be reasonably bright. Personally I think its too bright anyway, especially in a bedroom.

You can also run a common from the AC units to the thermostat, but that assumes you have an extra wire.

Comment

RC 80 cooling problem

Anogee:
                  I dont really care too much about the light. It is too bright to begin with. Makes a good night light , lights up the whole room. However as long as the light in the RC80B is off the cooling works well. All I can think is that the light in the thermostat and the cooling relay takes more current from the 24v xfmr than it is capable of supplying and the cooling relay drops off, however the heating relay does not require as much current. This could be the reason for heating working and cooling not. Works ok with the light off though... Thanks for all the help everyone... Dave...

Comment

You might want to consider picking up a Omnistat Relay Isolation Module. I had a similar issue with the RC80 and this resolved it. http://www.homeauto.com/Products/HAI...ccessories.asp

Comment

RC 80 cooling problem

Accessx10: what advantage does the isolation module have. How does it get hooked up? Thanks Dave...

Comment

Dave,

It installs between the furnace and the RC-80B.<O</O

Comment

RC80B Question

Yesterday, I installed an RC80B and it came up without difficulties. This evening I decided to place the jumper on JP2 to configure the backlighting and was surprised to find that my unit does not have these jumper pins. There are 3 pads on the PC card roughly in the designated area, but they aren't "in line" and there is a skywire 10k resistor between the left two. I doubt if these are the right ones. Any suggestions on how to locate the connections for JP2 so I can add the pins??

Comment

RC 80 cooling problem

OldEE: check out this thread and see if you have an older RC80 thermostat. The older RC80 thermostats do not have the backlight according to the thread. I dont have any info on the thermostat wiring sorry.....Dave.....

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=104555

Comment

Working...
                            X