Wireless Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Suggestions

Has anybody had success using wireless communication between the t/stat and PC? Running a wire is really not an option for me without tearing down the drywall and drilling through the floors and ceilings (-10 on the WAF Chart). Would something like this work? http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...ers/wibox.html

Any suggestions?

I do use a wired IP/Serial converter (Lantronix EPS12) between the PC and the HAI80 thermostat. You should get the same good results from a wifi IP/Serial.

Comment

Originally posted by tikt4u
      Has anybody had success using wireless communication between the t/stat and PC? Running a wire is really not an option for me without tearing down the drywall and drilling through the floors and ceilings (-10 on the WAF Chart). Would something like this work? http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...ers/wibox.html

Any suggestions?
      How much are these devices? There are other wireless tstats that may be cheaper such a the new Z-Wave tstats or the UPB and even X10.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Michael,
        Thanks for the input.

Rupp,
        The cheapest I've found the WiBox is around $250.00. I already have two Omni t/stats. I don't have any other Z-Wave or UPB devices which would require the purchase of additional hardware plus the t/stats resulting in greater expense than the Omnis and WiBox. I think the Omni plugin was very well written and I am satisfied with it and the Omni t/stats.
        Just for my curiosity, what wireless X-10 t/stats are you referring to?

Comment

The Rain8 WiFi sells for about $250 and that includes the $100 rain8Net so the wifi by itself from Trammel Manf should be around $150. Lantronix sells their little WiPort for about $125. I'm guessing if one was to look hard enough they should find them around $100. I have driven the Rain8 WiFi with mcsSprinklers so I know it works well. Lantronix probably is the biggest in the IP/Serial marketplace so that should be very stable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
            The Rain8 WiFi sells for about $250 and that includes the $100 rain8Net so the wifi by itself from Trammel Manf should be around $150. Lantronix sells their little WiPort for about $125. I'm guessing if one was to look hard enough they should find them around $100. I have driven the Rain8 WiFi with mcsSprinklers so I know it works well. Lantronix probably is the biggest in the IP/Serial marketplace so that should be very stable as well.
            Michael,

Irrigation is my next project. I'm faced with the same trouble with running wires. I had no idea this was available so I really appreciate the info. Looking at their website, I don't see a separate device for converting the serial data to ethernet. Is there a device server inside the rain8net device itself or are you saying they sell something like the WiBox?

Thanks,
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by tikt4u
              Michael,
              Thanks for the input.

Rupp,
              The cheapest I've found the WiBox is around $250.00. I already have two Omni t/stats. I don't have any other Z-Wave or UPB devices which would require the purchase of additional hardware plus the t/stats resulting in greater expense than the Omnis and WiBox. I think the Omni plugin was very well written and I am satisfied with it and the Omni t/stats.
              Just for my curiosity, what wireless X-10 t/stats are you referring to?
              The RCS TX16B

http://www.smarthome.com/3045B.html
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

Anyone with experience with the following:

http://www.tmanufacturing.com/wifirain8net.html

Looks like an excellent solution. I need to know if it will work with Maestro?

Comment

See post #5. As for working with Maestro, I don't see why not but you should probably ask it in the Maestro forum

Comment

Working...
                  X