Enabling Remote Communications RC-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunawire View Post
    Is anyone with an implemented RC-80 interested in building and testing a cable that I could buy from them? Check out my FS ad for potential trade options too. I just don't have enough time to continue to fight with this. Thanks for everyone's willingness to offer suggestions...
    just buy it online, $12

http://www.iautomate.com/21a052.html
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Ok, I bought at adapter online ($20 delivered from Smarthome).

Is there a guide to how to wire this? This is what I did...

I connected the four wires from the thermostat to their respective colors on a telephone jack outlet. I then connected the supplied two-pair phone cable to the serial adapter and to the telephone jack connected to the therm.

Same problems...

Setting 00 (thermostat) is set to 1
      Setting 01 (comm type) is set to 0

am I missing something dumb?

very frustrating...

Jason

Comment

you catch me in the middle of wiring a WaterBug 200, nevertheless...

my first thought is this the order of wires from the serial adapter (the rj12 side) do not match the order of the colors on the phone jack.

can you tell the order of the colors with the supplied 'phone wire'?

a typical phone wire from left to right is black, red, green ,yellow (looking at it from the flat side, not the side with the clip).

if the wire you have is in a different order, you may need to rearrange the wires on the phone jack end to match

for grins (if you have a meter) check the wiring of the serial adapter:
        the black should connect to pin 5
        the yellow should connect to pins 1,4,6
        the red should connect to pins 2
        the green should connect to 3
        and pins 7 & 8 are connected to each other but not back to any of the colors just mentioned

this is all outlined in my diagram above that you already found

good luck
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Not sure if this helps

I too was having similar issues and blaming my cable making skills - as it turns out in this ole house of mine the furnace varies the primary of the 24V transformer to cycle gas during a heating cycle. To get to the point I needed the isolation module to correct the problem.

29A00-1 - HAI Omnistat RC-80B Relay Isolation Module #985

Hope it helps!

Comment

did you make your own serial adapter or buy one? if you bought the adapter, what was the part number?
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

OK friends I got it working...

Seems I was having and ID-Ten-t Error...

I was counting the pins backwards, despite being sure I understood the way the pinouts were supposed to go from the several guides posted in these threads.

Oh well, live and, uh, learn...

Thanks for everyone's help! Now off to blow-up the boiler!

Comment

Congratulations!
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Now MINE is acting up

So, in trying to setup my system for 2 tstat operation, I had to undo some connections. It was getting cold, and I did not have time to finish, so I had to hurriedly put together the working setup.

In doing so, I now have timeouts reading and writing. What gives!!

I think the connection path is irrelevant since it was working prior to and I put everything back together.

However, I did notice something odd... When it was working right, voltage across the yellow and black wires was approx. 8.4V. Voltage accross yellow and red wires was 8.5V. Voltage across yellow and green wires was 0V.

Now, when measuring voltage across yellow and green, I'm seeing 7.4V. I thought maybe I had shorted something or incorrectly wired something, but when I check the connection at the computer, it reads 0V, trace it back to the next connection at the supplied cable to CAT5 line, reads 0V, but something strange...ONCE I connect the supplied cable to the TSTAT, the connection at the TSTAT from yellow to green jumps to 7.4V. It leads me to believe it is something at the TSTAT. Did I break it somehow? Point is, when I check all voltages, everything checks out to what I had before, but as soon as I hook up the TSTAT (and not connected to HVAC, just PC), it shows a voltage 7.4V.

Comment

TSTATs are fine

Back to the drawing board....gonna look at my homemade cables again. Replicated the same exact thing on another RC80 so it is def a cable issue.

Folks out there attempting to create your own cable, do yourself a favor and just fork over the cash and get those HAI premade ones...this has been a huge nightmare in cable making 101.

Comment

Agreed on the buy-a-stock-cable idea.

I didn't initially thinking they only sold them to authorized installers...would have saved me at least 20 hours of testing...

Comment

Originally posted by lunawire View Post
                        Agreed on the buy-a-stock-cable idea.

I didn't initially thinking they only sold them to authorized installers...would have saved me at least 20 hours of testing...
                        I had another phenomena. I had one thermostat working and decided to add another one (just to waste another week of my time!). And I found that it was getting timeouts to one of the two TStats. I thought I was in cable hell, but luckily I didn't touch the cables. I decided to switch the two TStats, simply swap them. They both started working! My theory is that during the cable install they got into a bad communications state and by swapping them I unplugged them and they reset.

Does anyone know how to get the temperature for Event use? I have only found the option of incrementing the temperature, not reading the current value into a variable.

Comment

Originally posted by danielperez View Post
                          I had another phenomena. I had one thermostat working and decided to add another one (just to waste another week of my time!). And I found that it was getting timeouts to one of the two TStats. I thought I was in cable hell, but luckily I didn't touch the cables. I decided to switch the two TStats, simply swap them. They both started working! My theory is that during the cable install they got into a bad communications state and by swapping them I unplugged them and they reset.

Does anyone know how to get the temperature for Event use? I have only found the option of incrementing the temperature, not reading the current value into a variable.
                          I figured out my own question: Under Thermostat "Devices" they give a sceen and you create a named device for each value the thermostat has. Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                          X