Compatibility with OmniStat2's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben,

I just ordered three of these stats from Martin and will attempt to connect them to HS as soon as they arrive.

Martin, please ask your guys to include a note with my order indicating the 'error' in HAI's wiring diagrams.

Thanks,
    Don

Comment

Please share the "error" info

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
      Martin, please ask your guys to include a note with my order indicating the 'error' in HAI's wiring diagrams.
      Better yet, please get the details of the error and post them here. The wiring instructions I posted a few replies up were straight from HAI a few days ago, and are way more detailed (and different) that what is in the printed manual/sheet. But I wasn't able to get it working with those wiring instructions (although I'm anxious to see if a replacement fixes it for me).

Thanks
      Ben

Comment

Will do. I'll get them in the morning and post them.

thanks
        Martin Custer

Comment

OK,

It looks like the document it too large for this board. I get this error:

Automated Outlet HAI Thermostat Recommendations VIA RS232 Rev1 10_03_2008.pdf:
          Your file of 601.0 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 488.3 KB for this filetype.

Please send me an email to Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com and I'll be happy to email it to anyone that wants it.

thanks,

Martin
          Martin Custer

Comment

Hi Guys,

I installed all three Omnistat2s last weekend and they have been running perfectly (independent of HS) since. I'm really impressed with the build quality of the units and the "proximity" backlight is a nice touch.

Anyway, today I verified my RS232 comms to each stat using this "open source" terminal program, http://realterm.sourceforge.net/ that I found. It is perfect for testing this since it allows one to easily send binary data as required by the HAI protocol.

I have all three stats connected (in parallel) to one port of my MOXA PCI RS232 card. The cabling (over CAT5) and stat configuration were done per the document that Martin shared (thanks again Martin!) and the only issue I found with the document pertained to the thermostat's baud setting. The document states that the "Expansion Baud" should be set to 300, but I believe it is the "System Baud" that matters, not the "Expansion Baud". As long as "System Baud" matches the setting in RealTerm, I can send / receive commands / responses just fine, no matter what value is programmed for the "Expansion Baud". (I also tested speeds above 300 and was able to communicate reliably at higher speeds, though at 9600 RealTerm did report sporadic errors. I think the 300 baud value is fine since the HAI protocol isn't too verbose, which is good since it does require polling from the PC.

I probably won't have a chance to give the HS plug-in a whirl for a couple of weeks due to work and travel, but I'll post results when I do.

Don

Comment

Glad it helped!
              Martin Custer

Comment

It works!!!

Don, your suggestion worked!! After all those months and hours, your suggestion on the system baud is all it took. The HAI documentation is clearly wrong, and even Automated Outlet's test notes are inaccurate. The HAI manual clears says to keep it at 100 and HAI's notes say to change the expansion to 300.

I finally got home this week from travel and ONLY changed the system baud on the thermostat itself... and boom!! It works!

Thanks for the suggestion

Ben

Comment

Excellent, Ben, I'm glad you got it working.

Given that the "system baud" setting is used for RS232 comms with the PC, I wonder what purpose the "expansion baud" serves? Perhaps it is used when interfacing the thermostat to an HAI panel?

Thanks,
                  Don

Comment

Question for Ben or anyone else who has hooked up this stat to HS

I'm curious about any advanced features you may have found. For example:

1) Can you get the proximity sensor to send a command to HS? I want to use it to wake up my Windows screen saver.
                    2) Can you get HS to change the stat's display color?

Thanks
                    Jeff

Comment

No advanced features in plug-in

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
                      [U]
                      1) Can you get the proximity sensor to send a command to HS? I want to use it to wake up my Windows screen saver.
                      2) Can you get HS to change the stat's display color?
                      No, any feature that that the RC-1000/2000 has (like the proximity feature and display color) that is not on the RC-80 is not supported by the plugin in any way. But I'd expect the thermostat would need to support the two features you ask about in the protocol even first, which I kinda doubt they will (although I do see some applications for what you're asking for).

I think it'd be pretty cool to map the display color to a temperature, and have HS update it accordingly. Like have it red for 101 degrees outside, or yellow for 78, or blue for 42, or purple for 25. That'd be pretty cool.

Comment

Hi Ben

You can see where I was going with this.

Can you give me the contact info you had for HAI support? I'm going to ask them about this.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
                          Can you give me the contact info you had for HAI support? I'm going to ask them about this.
                          Sure... support@homeauto.com

Comment

HAI Thermostat plug-in and Omnistat2

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share that I've been running my (3) Omnistat2s w/ HS via the HAI Thermostat plug-in (vers 1.0.16.0) for few days now. Polling is set to 60 seconds and the whole setup works quite well.

Status in HS is updated properly except for the current and previous week run-time values -- these don't appear to change. I'm not sure if the plug-in is supposed to calculate these run-times internally, or if it should be reading the run-times from the stats. I suspect the latter and that API for obtaining the values has changed between the older series stats and the new ones.

Don

Comment

I'm still having problems getting the RC1000 to communicate

Using
                              3. Connect pin 4 of the DB-9F to the YELLOW wire on the thermostat plug (DTR)
                              4. Connect pin 3 of the DB-9F to the GREEN wire on the thermostat plug (TXD)
                              5. Connect pin 2 of the DB-9F to the RED wire on the thermostat plug (RXD)
                              6. Connect pin 5 of the DB-9F to the BLACK wire on the thermostat plug. (GND)

Thermostat set for serial and 300 baud for system and expansion baud rate.

Nothing, Nada No communcations. Even used a comm port spy program and it showed nothing coming back from the thermostat. Tried a second thermostat the same problem
                              Found another document for serial connection on the web that says:

N/C to pin 4
                              Black to pin 5
                              Green to pin 6
                              Yellow to pin 3

Which looks more like the actual thermostat since their is no red connection. NC instead.

But it also looks like the DB9 to rj45 adapter, in their diagram, is straight pass through with no jumpers and could be particular to this controller which is the OneHome Home Brick. And of course the HAI protocol documents are different.

Could someone who has the Omnistat2 list their connections? Thanks!
                              John

Comment

These are my pinouts that worked

Wireless, this from earlier in this thread. These are the pinouts that worked for me, along with the baud at 300 for system and expansion.

1. On the DB-9F connector: Connect pins 7 and 8 together. (RTS and CTS)
                                2. On the DB-9F connector: Connect pins 1, 6 and 4 together (DCD, DTR and DSR)
                                3. Connect pin 4 of the DB-9F to the YELLOW connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (DTR)
                                4. Connect pin 3 of the DB-9F to the GREEN connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (TXD)
                                5. Connect pin 2 of the DB-9F to the BLACK connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (RXD)
                                6. Connect pin 5 of the DB-9F to the N/C connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (GND)

The black and n/c are different that yours. Also, not sure that the steps 1 and 2 are important, but I did them and it works.

Good luck!
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X