Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC-2000 Not Compatible with HS2 Plugin (My Conclusion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC-2000 Not Compatible with HS2 Plugin (My Conclusion)

After several months of messing with the RC-2000 I can now say with some confidence that it is NOT compatible with the HAI thermostat plugin in Homeseer.

If you want a good standalone thermostat, or one to hook up to an HAI system, I highly recommend the RC-1000/2000. If you want to hook up to Homeseer, I recommend you steer clear.

After several months of different DB9 pinouts, I am now confident I have the right connections. My last test today was to use an entirely new cable path, including new cat-5 and RJ-45->DB9 adapters. No success. I also got a replacement RC-2000, with newer firmware, and one that has not exhibited strange symptoms like my first one. This did not help the HS2 connectivity unfortunately.

I've also purchased a PCI Serial adapter to rule out the USB->serial adapter. That did not help. So after sinking about another $50 in trying to get this to work over 3.5 months, I'm finally giving up until someone tests this further and/or updates the plugin to officially support the Omnistat2's.

I'm anxious to hear if/when someone else has positive results. I've also not opened up a ticket with HS, but will probably wait until one or more users actually have the RC-2000 before heading down that route.

The bad thing is that I just purchased a new home security system and went with a GE Caddx. I likely would have gone with an HAI OmniLT to ensure integration with my thermostat (but at a cost of probably $200+ more than what I paid for the GE). But I held out hope that I could get the RC-2000 working with HS2.

Good luck to whoever tries to get this working... and PLEASE post your success here if you get it working!!!

UPDATE!!! The plugin DOES work. The HAI documentation is wrong. System baud must be set to 300 too.

Ben
    Last edited by benposton; October 16, 2008, 10:33 PM. Reason: new test results

Ben,

I just received 3 RC-2000's from Martin at AO and hopefully will have a chance to give this a whirl during the weekend or next week. I will post my findings and keep my fingers crossed that the HST guys will update the plug-in if needed to support these tstats in HS2.

Don

Comment

If the Thermostat plugin has some type of debug mode where it logs the communication to-from the thermostat, enable it and post the log.
      I can't fix the plugin, but I understand the omnistat protocol enough to work out where it's not working.

Ross.

Comment

No debug mode

Originally posted by rirvine View Post
        If the Thermostat plugin has some type of debug mode where it logs the communication to-from the thermostat, enable it and post the log.
        I can't fix the plugin, but I understand the omnistat protocol enough to work out where it's not working.
        There is no obvious option for debug in the web configuration pages or the mini config app or in the ConfigIO tool. I suppose a special debug dll could be used, but HST would have to provide one.

I simply get constant "Timeout writing data to Thermostat" and "Timeout Reading Data from Thermostat" in the HS log. Plus setting temps/modes or thermostat status/data is not accurate on the status page, ie, it says -48 degrees F.

Comment

Ben,

I've not tried the HS plug-in yet, but I am able to communicate with my stats from the PC using RealTerm. Have you verified comms in your setup outside of HomeSeer?

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=35

Don

Comment

Plugin IS COMPATIBLE!! Correct Settings Discovered

Thanks to dschoppe, we've learned that the HAI documentation is wrong. System baud must be set to 300. I have both System and Expansion baud at 300, and my COM port at 300, and the plugin works fine.

I'll spend a few more days using the plug in to test it out for sure, but it reads and writes to the thermostat as expected now (and as well as it did for the RC-80).

Comment

Just a couple plugin issues with RC-1000/2000

After using the plugin for a few days, I can say that the basic operations work just fine. The things that don't work are the reporting of the total running time to the plugin and some scheduling conflicts.

The thermostat itself will give you the last 4 weeks of runtime, and breaks it down by week. But the plugin doesn't get that info like it did with the RC-80. Not a big deal for me now, but I've always wanted to log my HVAC run times and graph them while comparing to outside temp and my total electric bill. You can remove the runtime totals from being displayed in the plugin and I've done that for now. It'd be nice to see that feature added for the RC-1000/2000.

I've always used the schedule on the thermostat, but it was on by default in the plugin and created some really weird times in the schedule on the thermostat. My morning/day/eve/night start times on the thermostat all went to a weird time, like 152:99:00. I just disabled the schedule on the plugin and had to reprogram on the thermostat. All is fine now. I did not test running scheduling only with the plugin.

That's about all I've seen. Everything else works fine. I will say that it'd be nice if the plugin could read and report the humidity on the RC-2000.

Comment

Ben,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, when the HST guys get through the HS2 and HSTouch releases, they'll have a chance to add the additional features to fully support the RC-1000/2000.

Don

Comment

Working...
                X