HAI Code Changes for Omnistat2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI Code Changes for Omnistat2

I purchased the source code for the HAI Thermostat, but it's going to take a bit to become familiar with the code and re-learn C++.

I only need a couple of changes (stage 2 cooling notification and changing the background color) so I would like to know what changes are most important to you!

The bad news about the source licensing program is I can make changes for my personal use or sell it through the Homeseer store...there is no option for giving the changes away for free, so expect to see a price tag on the updated plug-in.

Hi AO!

Glad to see you are picking this up. If I can help beta test it let me know.

I'm not able to communicate to my RC2000 stat when I go through an Ethernet to serial adapter. If I connect the stat directly to the serial ports of my HS machine everything works. If I connect using a USB to serial adapter it works too. This QuaTech QSE-100D (FW 4.26) seems to work great with everything but HS. But then everything else is much faster than the poky 300 baud used on the thermostat.

Feature requests:
    1) Since I'm getting timeout messages in the log I'm assuming its a latency issue. Maybe it needs a longer window, or make the timeout adjustable in the web interface or in an .ini file.
    2) Improve error handling!
    3) Allow faster or user selectable baud rate. Current plugin is locked to 300 baud. Again, adjustable in in the web interface or an .ini file would be nice.

Questions:
    1) Who will support it, for how long, and under what conditions?
    2) What is the cost? If it's $20 or less and fixes my problems I'll buy it.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
      I'm not able to communicate to my RC2000 stat when I go through an Ethernet to serial adapter. If I connect the stat directly to the serial ports of my HS machine everything works. If I connect using a USB to serial adapter it works too. This QuaTech QSE-100D (FW 4.26) seems to work great with everything but HS. But then everything else is much faster than the poky 300 baud used on the thermostat.
      I don't seem to have a problem using a Digi Portserver...I've only used it at 300 baud...I guess I should test at a higher rate!

Feature requests:
      1) Since I'm getting timeout messages in the log I'm assuming its a latency issue. Maybe it needs a longer window, or make the timeout adjustable in the web interface or in an .ini file.
      2) Improve error handling!
      3) Allow faster or user selectable baud rate. Current plugin is locked to 300 baud. Again, adjustable in in the web interface or an .ini file would be nice.
      All those are planned along with some interesting items My goal is to be able to change every register available (some you can not get to through the thermostat interface) Energy settings and ASCII messages will be fun! BTW, this is a complete re-write in C#...the source code I purchased seems pretty useless. I'm about halfway through the Omnistat code but still need to make it into a plug-in (will be my first attempt at a plug-in!)

Questions:
      1) Who will support it, for how long, and under what conditions?
      It will be a third party plug-in but I have already thought about succession plans in the event something happens to me.

2) What is the cost? If it's $20 or less and fixes my problems I'll buy it.
      Don't have a clue what I'm going to charge yet, but I would like to try and recoup the cost of the source code and I don't think there are that many using the Omnistat2...however, once word gets out on all you can do with this plug-in, it might get some to switch over to it

AO!

Comment

My experience with the current HAI plugin is that it will ONLY operate at 300 baud and there is no way to change it. You can change the baud rate at the thermostat, but not at the plugin and therefore its usage is locked to 300.

Cool. This all sounds great.

Comment

Any update or progress to report? I am interested in hearing the planned changes. I use the free HS plugin at the moment and is meeting my needs (Omnistat1 not 2). But would like to know what I might be missing.

Comment

Hi AO!

How's progress? I'm looking forward to your plugin and I think others will too.

I thought of another feature request. How about user selectable house codes? This seems to be an uncommon feature, so maybe it's difficult. Thought I'd ask.

Comment

Hi AO!

How's progress? I'm looking forward to your plugin and I think others will too.
              Progress has stalled on creating the plug-in due to many hours working on proposals for work. Should be able to get back to programming the plug-in next week.
              I thought of another feature request. How about user selectable house codes? This seems to be an uncommon feature, so maybe it's difficult. Thought I'd ask.
              This is my first plug-in so I don't know how hard it will be but I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                Any update or progress to report? I am interested in hearing the planned changes. I use the free HS plugin at the moment and is meeting my needs (Omnistat1 not 2). But would like to know what I might be missing.
                I abandoned updating the HAI code and am re-writing it from scratch...the first version will probably be more Omnistat2 specific and later updates may bring in the older HAI thermostats. There are areas in the registers where the Omnistat2 has more information (now has 4 weeks of usage instead of 2) so the older registers are not used for it...would only need to add in checking of the model to read the proper registers, but I need to get the Omnistat2 out the door soon.

Comment

Hi AO!

I'm checking in with you on the plugin development. I'm hoping to have control of my thermostat this winter.

How is progress?

Thanks.

Comment

Ran into some problems with the temperature and setpoints...seems no mater what I set the cool/heat to, it would show up as something different. Turns out to be a problem with my thermostat. Just got the replacement a day or so ago and verified the code works properly. Most all the code to send/receive to the thermostat is done, now I just need to wrap it up in the plug-in code. I think coding time is the only problem now, but should be able to get back to this project very soon.

Comment

Is this new plugin dead? I just got a Omnistat2 and would love to have complete functionality.

Comment

I am waiting for the same thing. But I have not purchased omnistat2 yet.

If I had to guess though I would predict that this has a slim chance of moving forward. It seems pretty complicated, and it seems like hs and hai no longer are best friends. So I imagine lots of friction to get this working well.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

This thing is not dead yet...but it is on life support!

I have been swamped at work since September and just have not had time to work on this. With that said, I have most of the logic for controlling the Omnistat2 completed, just need to convert it into a plug-in.

So...if someone knows C#, and how to set up a plug-in (in C#), and would like to help me out...we could move this forward! Heck, as long as you don't sell it, I'll even let you call the plug-in your own

Looking at my current/future workload, I cannot even expect to take a vacation, let alone code this up, before the consortium meeting in July. Good thing I love my job!

AO!

Comment

AO,

I'm also in San Antonio, have a newly installed RC-2000, as well as Visual Studio and enough C# to be dangerous.

I'd be happy to help. Send me an email through the board and we can work something out.

Comment

I would be interested in paying for this plugin if it is ever released.

Comment

Working...
                              X