Problems with Honeywell Thermostat plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Honeywell Thermostat plug-in

Sorry I didn't get a notification about that email! Responded a few days ago, but the gist is that the JSON you had does in fact show an idle, off fan. I'd love to see more logging and examples to confirm whether or not they're reporting anything I can work with...

Comment

RE: Honeywell Total Comfort thermostat issues

You are correct in that we no longer see system active or fan on the totalconnectcomfort site! We have submitted a support inquiry with Honeywell and will let you know what they say. It WAS WORKING when we initially installed RedLink.

Regarding the operating mode being COOL all the time - is that a bug?

Thanks

Comment

Honeywell Support Results

Shill --

Honeywell was absolutely no help. They claim they don't support system or fan activity. This does not jive with the fact that system activity WAS working when I first installed the plug-in and I know I was not seeing things as I have timers connected to events that record system run-time and fan-time. I'm wondering if they disabled system activity reporting to reduce bandwidth?

Anyone else seeing system activity from the Total Connect Comfort site now and if so what thermostat model/system are you running?

Ran into this post from another HA forum about TCC interface:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...c,30125.0.html

See section which says:

*** Honeywell's API does not report the actual ModeState of your system. The plug in will set the ModeState based on the CurrentTemperature, ModeStatus, and your CurrentSetpoint(s). For example, if your unit is in HeatOn ModeStatus, and the temperature reading is less than your heating set-point, the plug-in will set the ModeState is "Heating".

**** Honeywell's API does not report the actual FanStatus of your system. The plug-in will set the FanStatus based on the ModeState and FanMode. If the FanMode is "ContinuousOn", the FanStatus will be set on "On". If the ModeState is "Heating" or "Cooling", then the FanStatus will be set to On. Otherwise, it will be set to "Off". There is no reasonable way to report the FanMode if your FanStatus is set to "PeriodicOn" (also known as "Circulate".)

Would it be possible to put logic into your plug-in to report ModeState based on the above? It would solve our issue as currently we have no way to control our Z-wave fresh air dampers without a way to fire an event that the system is active.

Thanks

Joe

Comment

statusCool and statusHeat

Shill --

Also found this at another forum which may explain the system mode showing COOL all the time even though it's winter and only heating is being used with system set to AUTO?

https://community.smartthings.com/t/...bility/602/194

Quote:

Is there any way to pull from the API whether a given thermostat's system is running at the moment? I've been working on some graphing of my SmartThings devices and just got one of those fancy Energy Meters. I'd like to be able to overlay on my energy usage graph the times when the HVAC was active in one or both zones and which mode it's in (cool, heat, emergency heat).

I found these two values:

Control.Model.set(Control.Model.Property.statusCool, 0);
          Control.Model.set(Control.Model.Property.statusHeat, 0);
          ...but it seems like whenever my system kicks on, they BOTH get set to 1. Anyone know what these two actually mean?

Comment

Originally posted by foxxconn View Post
            Shill --

Honeywell was absolutely no help. They claim they don't support system or fan activity. This does not jive with the fact that system activity WAS working when I first installed the plug-in and I know I was not seeing things as I have timers connected to events that record system run-time and fan-time. I'm wondering if they disabled system activity reporting to reduce bandwidth?

Anyone else seeing system activity from the Total Connect Comfort site now and if so what thermostat model/system are you running?

Ran into this post from another HA forum about TCC interface:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...c,30125.0.html

See section which says:

*** Honeywell's API does not report the actual ModeState of your system. The plug in will set the ModeState based on the CurrentTemperature, ModeStatus, and your CurrentSetpoint(s). For example, if your unit is in HeatOn ModeStatus, and the temperature reading is less than your heating set-point, the plug-in will set the ModeState is "Heating".

**** Honeywell's API does not report the actual FanStatus of your system. The plug-in will set the FanStatus based on the ModeState and FanMode. If the FanMode is "ContinuousOn", the FanStatus will be set on "On". If the ModeState is "Heating" or "Cooling", then the FanStatus will be set to On. Otherwise, it will be set to "Off". There is no reasonable way to report the FanMode if your FanStatus is set to "PeriodicOn" (also known as "Circulate".)

Would it be possible to put logic into your plug-in to report ModeState based on the above? It would solve our issue as currently we have no way to control our Z-wave fresh air dampers without a way to fire an event that the system is active.

Thanks

Joe
            What Honeywell told you was simply incorrect. Somewhere around May of last year they added those capabilities, which also explains why that first post (dated January 2015) describes that the way it does (on a related note, the post about detecting if it's on with the mode.set stuff is from 2014). My system accurately shows both the operating stats (Heating/Cooling/Idle) and Fan Status (On/Idle), as does the TCC website (which shows a snowflake icon when Operating Status = Cooling, for example).

As far as I can tell, this sounds more like a limitation of the particular device you have, unfortunately. The JSON that you see on the Honeywell page of your root thermostat is all I have to work with and has been accurate in all of those devices for me, and no on else has reported having issues. It would be great if someone else using a Redlink Gateway could confirm they see these statuses correctly, though - that would narrow it down to the thermostat specifically. One other thing to remind you is that Honeywell does not share their API, so this plugin is based purely off of interacting with the TCC site. I suspect the JSON I see is the same as what the API does, but there's no way to be sure. So if you see it on the website, you should be able to see it in the plugin.

(As far as the Cool Operating Mode, that's on my list to investigate - that sounds more likely to be a defect in my plugin - neither of my thermostats are Auto-capable, so it's entirely possible I made a bad assumption about the values that are sent back.)

Comment

Working...
            X