Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple thermostats via Redlink

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Multiple thermostats via Redlink

    I've got four thermostats, all connected via a RedLink gateway.

    I have a Honeywell outdoor temp/humidity sensor associated with them via that Redlink gateway.

    What puzzles me is I see four 'Outdoor Temperature' devices in HS3 and they're all showing different 'Last Change' timestamps (screen snip attached).

    Why are there four separate ones and why are they showing different timestamps?

    How do I find the current temp RIGHT NOW?

    Note the dates these timestamps are showing as I type this on "1/9/2018 6:38pm". They're showing updates from two days ago?

    I'd like to use the current outdoor temp as a variable for controlling some ceiling fans. I'd like to have it automatically start a ceiling fan after 9pm if the outdoor temperature is above a certain temp. But how will I know if I'm getting the actual current temp?

    And how do I tell which of these is associated with which thermostat? There's nothing in the device details that reveals this. None of them are showing the floor/room info.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    I also have 4 thermostats connected to my redlink gateway. I have one outdoor sensor connected to one of the thermostats and it shows up in homeseer correctly and is updated. I have grouping enabled in homeseer which puts the outdoor sensor grouped with the thermostat that the outdoor sensor is connected.

    My understanding is that you can only add an outdoor sensor to one thermostat at a time. Do you have 4 outdoor thermostats each connected to one of your thermostats? If so, the sensors should each be grouped with the appropriate root device for each thermostat.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by slbuck View Post
      I also have 4 thermostats connected to my redlink gateway. I have one outdoor sensor connected to one of the thermostats and it shows up in homeseer correctly and is updated. I have grouping enabled in homeseer which puts the outdoor sensor grouped with the thermostat that the outdoor sensor is connected.

      My understanding is that you can only add an outdoor sensor to one thermostat at a time. Do you have 4 outdoor thermostats each connected to one of your thermostats? If so, the sensors should each be grouped with the appropriate root device for each thermostat.
      Nope, the sensor I have is connected to all of them. It's been a while since it was set up, so I don't recall if it required pairing to each one individually, or if they 'inherited' it from the Redlink. I think it was paired individually.

      Mine are the Vision Pro TH8320R1003 models. Two are using the C7189R1004 wireless indoor temp sensor (to get a better comfort zone reading) and there's just the one C7089R1013 outdoor sensor. I've also got a REM1000R1003 entry/exit button and a REM5000R1001 remote. Neither of those get much use.

      One important thing to remember when setting them up is to use names that won't conflict with anything else when you use voice control. Mine are called "Lower Level", "Main Level", "Upper Level" and "Media Room" as those don't conflict with 1st floor, basement, 2nd floor or Theater used as parts of other device/floor names.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm currently using the outdoor temp as a trigger to control indoor fans. Have you tried removing the outdoor sensor from all but one of your thermostats (I have mine paired to the thermostat in our great room only) and then you only get one outdoor child device of that thermostat? You wouldn't be able to see the outdoor temperature/humidity on the other thermostats, but it does resolve the issue of only having one sensor to use for your condition.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by slbuck View Post
          I'm currently using the outdoor temp as a trigger to control indoor fans. Have you tried removing the outdoor sensor from all but one of your thermostats (I have mine paired to the thermostat in our great room only) and then you only get one outdoor child device of that thermostat? You wouldn't be able to see the outdoor temperature/humidity on the other thermostats, but it does resolve the issue of only having one sensor to use for your condition.
          I may be misinformed but with adaptive recovery it helps to give the thermostat as much info as possible. With a geo-thermal setup you can have longer 'recovery' times, especially for heat. The thermostats learn over time and will start the system in advance to take it into account. So I'm less inclined to follow your line of thinking there...

          I can still use just one of them as a condition, there's nothing preventing use of just one of them, as they're all individual devices.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
            I may be misinformed but with adaptive recovery it helps to give the thermostat as much info as possible. With a geo-thermal setup you can have longer 'recovery' times, especially for heat. The thermostats learn over time and will start the system in advance to take it into account. So I'm less inclined to follow your line of thinking there...

            I can still use just one of them as a condition, there's nothing preventing use of just one of them, as they're all individual devices.
            Excellent point regarding the adaptive recovery. As long as the thermostats have internet access, they will have access to local weather data. I like being able to compare the outdoor sensor with local weather station data to verify how accurate it's reading (it's usually within one to three degrees) In my case, I have a fresh air damper hooked to one of my t-stats and that is the one that is connected to the outdoor sensor. This lets me have lock outs for the ventilation based upon temperature and dew point.

            Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slbuck View Post
              Excellent point regarding the adaptive recovery. As long as the thermostats have internet access, they will have access to local weather data. I like being able to compare the outdoor sensor with local weather station data to verify how accurate it's reading (it's usually within one to three degrees).
              I'm not sure about whether the adaptive aspect in each thermostat will use any internet data. That and I've seen plenty of situations where various internet sources for my area are -/+5 degrees off. Not enough to matter "a lot" but enough to make for uneven experiences with automation. As in, the wife nags about why it's "not working right".

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
                I'm not sure about whether the adaptive aspect in each thermostat will use any internet data. That and I've seen plenty of situations where various internet sources for my area are -/+5 degrees off. Not enough to matter "a lot" but enough to make for uneven experiences with automation. As in, the wife nags about why it's "not working right".
                At the end of the day, it's always about making the wife happy

                Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by slbuck View Post
                  At the end of the day, it's always about making the wife happy
                  Or, at the very least, not setting things up that invite complaints or skepticism. Automating stuff is fun until it annoys the spouse. Unless everyone in the house is "into" the automating puzzle, it's best to avoid setting things up that get in the way of everyone else's idea of "normal living".

                  It's an old problem with all things technological. None of them 'mind read' well enough to get it right 100% of the time. So it's often best to set the bar pretty low. The closer you get to 100% the higher the risk of dissatisfaction. It goes from being benignly accepted as "kind of simple-minded" to bitter resentment for "not understanding me".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Guys, can someone help me out with adding multiple thermostats to a single Redlink internet gateway? The documentation on these units is pretty bad.

                    I have a set of Mitsibushi multisplit units, and they all have the wireless controllers. If I try and add a thermostat to a redlink gateway, it doesn't get picked up with the totalconnect website - just the original thermostat shows up.

                    How do you add additional thermostats to the gateway?

                    thanks!
                    Mike

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sorry, I don't have a gateway so I can't help here...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X