Unnamed PED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unnamed PED

I periodically see "Added unnamed PED" in the log for the plug-in.

What does this mean? Everything seems to be working otherwise.

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
    I periodically see "Added unnamed PED" in the log for the plug-in.

What does this mean? Everything seems to be working otherwise.
    That's a debug message tracking some internal activity. You can reduce your logging to INFO level to avoid internal messages like that if you'd like!

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
      That's a debug message tracking some internal activity. You can reduce your logging to INFO level to avoid internal messages like that if you'd like!
      Ah, that'll do it. I've dialed it back to Info and will try the others over time.

The whole dependency on their cloud server raise concerns such that I want to keep an eye on it. I'm mindful of the WAF, and try to avoid setups that have too many "moving parts" whenever possible. The up/down nature of their service does little for peace of mind. But seeing as there's no apparent way to have direct, local interaction with the devices, well, there we are.

For the most part I depend on schedules. So I'm not dealing with a lot of touchscreen or device interaction. The trick is unscheduled occupancy (snow days, sick days, vacations, etc) that aren't easily automated. The recovery time for our geothermal-based HVAC means it's good to stay on top of desired comfort levels. Otherwise if the zone goes too far out of the comfort zone (for energy savings) it does take a while to bring it back.

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
        Ah, that'll do it. I've dialed it back to Info and will try the others over time.

The whole dependency on their cloud server raise concerns such that I want to keep an eye on it. I'm mindful of the WAF, and try to avoid setups that have too many "moving parts" whenever possible. The up/down nature of their service does little for peace of mind. But seeing as there's no apparent way to have direct, local interaction with the devices, well, there we are.

For the most part I depend on schedules. So I'm not dealing with a lot of touchscreen or device interaction. The trick is unscheduled occupancy (snow days, sick days, vacations, etc) that aren't easily automated. The recovery time for our geothermal-based HVAC means it's good to stay on top of desired comfort levels. Otherwise if the zone goes too far out of the comfort zone (for energy savings) it does take a while to bring it back.
        I let the thermostat's schedule handle some of the heavy lifting, but my schedules are based on comfortable temperatures assuming constant occupancy and use HS to override it based on occupancy for the cost savings. (Occupancy really is the holy grail of home automation, IMHO, and building your HS events around it brings the real value added capabilities.)

I've also been thinking about the unscheduled occupancy issue myself, with regards to the things I have fully automated (like turning on lights in the morning, disarming the security system, etc.). My thinking is to create a virtual device I can turn on/off via voice (GH/Alexa) as I'm getting ready for bed. That way it can run through the normal workday routine if ON, or a more relaxed non-workday routine if it's OFF. (Ultimately I'd want to automate setting that based on some kind of data feed/calendar, but that's phase 2... )

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
          (Occupancy really is the holy grail of home automation, IMHO, and building your HS events around it brings the real value added capabilities.)

I've also been thinking about the unscheduled occupancy issue myself, with regards to the things I have fully automated (like turning on lights in the morning, disarming the security system, etc.). My thinking is to create a virtual device I can turn on/off via voice (GH/Alexa) as I'm getting ready for bed. That way it can run through the normal workday routine if ON, or a more relaxed non-workday routine if it's OFF. (Ultimately I'd want to automate setting that based on some kind of data feed/calendar, but that's phase 2... )
          THIS. Knowing that a space is occupied, when it's likely to be occupied, and when it's likely to soon be vacant are hugely useful things to know when automating.

This is where globals and modes come into play in some kinds of systems.

Like Home or Away modes built-into Lutron's hub that allow for easy swapping of timeclock events. It's hard to do that in HS, at least not as simply.

But there's also other 'global' or 'whole home' kinds of circumstances that affect automation. Like days when there's a cleaning crew there, or during a party, or is it a 'Work from Home' day or a 'Whole House' day? Where certain zones are kept climate controlled differently (only the office zone versus 'everything').

It becomes very cumbersome trying to write logic without having those kinds of over-rides taken into consideration from the start.

Other factors come into play, like a children's bedtime being different than both parents, or one parent that's a night-owl. It's kind of infuriating that HS doesn't have a xxPM-until-xxAM timespan condition. The convoluted way triggers/conditions/events have to be layered is tedious sometimes...

Comment

Working...
          X