Replacing a bad thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing a bad thermostat

I had one of our thermostats go bad and just had it replaced by the A/C company. I have it added back to the redlink gateway and can see it on my total connect account.

My question is: Can the device ID be updated on the existing thermostat so that a new device in Homeseer doesn't have to be created? If I delete the old thermostat and then add the new one, I'll have to update all my events that referenced the old thermostat.

I wonder if this is what the"Replace a bad node" is there for? I have no idea, but that would be nice if it could operate like that.

Comment

Unfortunately, the "replace bad node" is for the z-wave side of things and isn't available in this case. The only way I've been able to modify the thermostat device ID is to delete the HS device and then add a new thermostat using the new device ID from the Honeywell Total Connect portal. This always fixes things, but breaks all events that referenced the original device. I'm trying to find a way to modify the device ID so that the plug-in will then reference the new ID when logging into the Total Connect portal without having to delete and add a new thermostat whenever one needs to be replaced. (I've had two go bad on me in three months).

Comment

I know how I can fix this... Look for it in the next release!

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
          I know how I can fix this... Look for it in the next release!
          What is your release cycle for this plug-in? Just trying to gauge if I should wait for the next release or remove and re-add the thermostats.

Incidentally, you don't have to have a bad thermostat to get into this situation. If you ever have to clear the RedLink network from your gateway and re-add all your thermostats, there is a chance that the thermostat device ID will change on the Honeywell site. I saw this when replacing the one bad thermostat and only one of them came back with the same device ID and so continued to work correctly with the plug-in.

Comment

Originally posted by slbuck View Post
            What is your release cycle for this plug-in? Just trying to gauge if I should wait for the next release or remove and re-add the thermostats.

Incidentally, you don't have to have a bad thermostat to get into this situation. If you ever have to clear the RedLink network from your gateway and re-add all your thermostats, there is a chance that the thermostat device ID will change on the Honeywell site. I saw this when replacing the one bad thermostat and only one of them came back with the same device ID and so continued to work correctly with the plug-in.
            I should have it within the next couple of days.

Comment

I should have it within the next couple of days.
              Check out version 1.1.3 - if you go to the root thermostat device, you can change the device ID (and name, though that really doesn't matter) for the thermostat.

Comment

Check out version 1.1.3 - if you go to the root thermostat device, you can change the device ID (and name, though that really doesn't matter) for the thermostat.
                I have 1.1.3 installed. If I go to the root device of the one thermostat that is currently connected, I see the new Honeywell WiFi Thermostat tab where the device ID and name can be changed.

If I go to the root of any of the other three thermostats that are currently not connected, I don't see the new tab show up. Is there something that is blocking the existing non-connected thermostats from getting the new config options?

Comment

Originally posted by slbuck View Post
                  I have 1.1.3 installed. If I go to the root device of the one thermostat that is currently connected, I see the new Honeywell WiFi Thermostat tab where the device ID and name can be changed.

If I go to the root of any of the other three thermostats that are currently not connected, I don't see the new tab show up. Is there something that is blocking the existing non-connected thermostats from getting the new config options?
                  For that question I'll need a trace log of you opening one of the root thermostats that isn't working.

Comment

For that question I'll need a trace log of you opening one of the root thermostats that isn't working.
                    Here you go. I enabled trace logging and then opened the "Guest Room" root device and couldn't see the new tab.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Can I see a screenshot of your root device's "Advanced" tab? Unfortunately the log doesn't even show it trying to talk to the plugin, so I'm afraid the HS device has lost its connection to the plugin.

Comment

Here's the guest room root device's advanced tab.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here are the advanced tabs from the other two thermostats for comparison.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Do you think that I'll have to recreate each of the bad thermostats to get the new tab to show up? I haven't tested it yet to see what happens to an existing thermostat that is working that then has a device ID change on the Honeywell site.

Comment

That would be the fastest approach. I would eventually like to figure out why this isn't working, but Honeywell changed their SSL config and has broken all linux/XP customers connections so that's become my priority for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X