X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Communication with server

This just started happening 1/23 10:15 PM PST:
    Error retrieving data for device nnnnnn: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
    Failed to retrieve thermostat data - error occurred, will retry

Really, nothing changed

This thermostat is at my vacation house (it's a Honeywell WiFi model). About the same time, I was re-doing my main home network which involved moving the RedLink gateway for the main home thermostat.

I could still log into MyTotalConnectComfort and manage both thermostats.

However, I deleted the plugin tstat and re-added, changed my password on the MTCC site and in the plugin, rebooted the router and HomeSeer PC. Restarted the plugin multiple times. Nothing has helped. No successful communication with the plugin since 1/23.

Advice?

Thanks,
    Kurt

Originally posted by KurtLutterman View Post
    This just started happening 1/23 10:15 PM PST:
    Error retrieving data for device nnnnnn: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
    Failed to retrieve thermostat data - error occurred, will retry

Really, nothing changed

This thermostat is at my vacation house (it's a Honeywell WiFi model). About the same time, I was re-doing my main home network which involved moving the RedLink gateway for the main home thermostat.

I could still log into MyTotalConnectComfort and manage both thermostats.

However, I deleted the plugin tstat and re-added, changed my password on the MTCC site and in the plugin, rebooted the router and HomeSeer PC. Restarted the plugin multiple times. Nothing has helped. No successful communication with the plugin since 1/23.

Advice?

Thanks,
    Kurt
    I also lost communication with my thermostat on 1/23.
    I have been fighting with it ever since. Something happened and we need to find out what! I too can log in using total connect.

Comment

Is this happening every 5 minutes when the thermostat updates? Every time you try to control something? Intermittently?

Comment

The problem is continues. No updates, no functionality, no status changes.
        I'm using the latest version in the updater. The plugin worked well since I bought it a long time ago, and now just stopped for no apparent reason.
        The connection with the Total Connect app is working fine as well as the browser pages. The list is long of the things I have tried with no success.

2/1/2018 08:16:14.281 Error ThermostatCommand.ProcessUpdateResults - Failed to retrieve thermostat data - error occurred, will retry
        2/1/2018 08:21:17.578 Error HWConnection.GetData - Error retrieving data for device 3****: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
        System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
        at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
        at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
        --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
        at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
        at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
        at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
        at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
        at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceiv e(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
        at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
        at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
        at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsync Result lazyResult)
        at System.Net.TlsStream.CallProcessAuthentication(Object state)
        at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
        at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
        at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
        at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
        at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
        at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
        --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
        at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
        at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data)
        at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(String address, String data)
        at HSPI_SKWARE_HW_WIFI_TSTAT.HWConnection.Login(String strUser, String strPassword)
        at HSPI_SKWARE_HW_WIFI_TSTAT.HWConnection.LoginIfNeeded()
        at HSPI_SKWARE_HW_WIFI_TSTAT.HWConnection.GetData(String strDeviceID, ThermostatData& objCurrentData)
        2/1/2018 08:21:17.593 Error ThermostatCommand.ProcessUpdateResults - Failed to retrieve thermostat data - error occurred, will retry

Last edited by digidoc; February 9, 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Can I ask you to have a look at this sticky post (Having Problems? Follow these steps first.) and provide the information requested? The gist of that error is that the "connection was forcibly closed by the remote host", with the "remote host" being Honeywell services, over which I unfortunately have no control, and this isn't happening with my two thermostats so trying to replicate it is going to be challenging!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I will do that when I get home next week.

Comment

Here's my troubleshooting info:
              Current Date/Time: 2/3/2018 11:14:52 AM
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.313
              Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Work Station
              System Uptime: 5 Days 12 Hours 56 Minutes 36 Seconds
              IP Address: 192.168.100.230
              Number of Devices: 60
              Number of Events: 32
              Available Threads: 100

Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.38.0: BLLAN
              1.1.12.0: Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
              3.0.0.76: weatherXML
              3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

I couldn't get the thermostat data dump. One of my troubleshooting steps was to delete and re-add the thermostat in the plugin. The re-created thermostat device has a status of -1 and didn't get as far as creating the plugin page on the device.

My thermostat is RTH6500WF
              Attached Files
              Last edited by KurtLutterman; February 3, 2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

That log file doesn't contain any errors, it only shows you saving the settings, so I'm afraid I'll need you to try that out again. The call to the postback does include your HS user id, since that's a normal part of the way HS posts back form submits to the plugin. The user ID from the config page is my own setting that's stored in the plugin's INI file and used for the request to/from HW.

Comment

Are you able to login to the total connect comfort portal from your HS server? I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot/prove my theory, but my initial guess is that the Honeywell servers don't support TLS 1.0 anymore, and that may be all your Windows XP system is capable of:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kau...ls-on-windows/

I know my company recently made a change to our SaaS products to support only more modern versions of TLS.

I don't know if this will help or even makes sense, and certainly attempting this is at your own risk, but I did run across this post when searching for anything to confirm my hypothesis:

https://sockettools.com/kb/support-f...on-windows-xp/

I'll keep looking, but there's really not much else in the way of possible explanations for that behavior.

Comment

Are you able to login to the total connect comfort portal from your HS server? I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot/prove my theory, but my initial guess is that the Honeywell servers don't support TLS 1.0 anymore, and that may be all your Windows XP system is capable of:
                    I'll try login from the HS server when I'm there this weekend. If that does confirm the TLS problem, I may try that XP/TLS hack, or I might just upgrade to Win7. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

TLS 1.0

Well, it looks like my Hometroller is officially outdated. I can NOT log in at www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com using any browser (IE, Firefox or Chrome) from the Hometroller. I fired up another old computer with XP Pro and tried to log in with no luck either. I think your educated guess was right on the money. I am currently undecided about the POS update for XP. I depend on many other things HS3 does for me, and would miss it alot. Your plugin is great and well worth the price. I guess I can't hold you responsible for changing security on the WWW.;)

Thanks for the help and I will let you know if I decide to attempt the POS patch.
                      Glen

Comment

TLS 1.0 Windows XP

I tried login to www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com from an XP system I have here. And it also is not able to login to the Honeywell site. So I also suspect your suspicion about TLS 1.0 is correct.

I will probably try upgrading the HS server with the embedded XP POS TLS hack. I'll let you know how that goes.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like the nails are finally starting to go into the XP coffin...

Comment

Firefox update on Hometroller

I have never been a person to give up without trying everything I can think of. Early this morning l logged in on my hometroller and checked the version of Firefox installed. That triggered an update window and I clicked OK. The new version is 53.6.0 (32 bit version) and I tried to log in to TotalConnect and bingo, it connected! I was part excited and part frustrated. I opened HS3 in a browser window and enabled the Honeywell plugin, waited a couple minutes and checked the event log. The data problem is still present.

I then shut down HS3, rebooted the hometroller, with the same result. Launched Firefox (on the hometroller) and connected to TotalConnect fine. I did this 2 times and had no change in outcome. I have googled XPe updates and nothing found there was helpful. I will keep looking............

Comment

Originally posted by digidoc View Post
                              I have never been a person to give up without trying everything I can think of. Early this morning l logged in on my hometroller and checked the version of Firefox installed. That triggered an update window and I clicked OK. The new version is 53.6.0 (32 bit version) and I tried to log in to TotalConnect and bingo, it connected! I was part excited and part frustrated. I opened HS3 in a browser window and enabled the Honeywell plugin, waited a couple minutes and checked the event log. The data problem is still present.

I then shut down HS3, rebooted the hometroller, with the same result. Launched Firefox (on the hometroller) and connected to TotalConnect fine. I did this 2 times and had no change in outcome. I have googled XPe updates and nothing found there was helpful. I will keep looking............
                              There's really not much of a connection between what Firefox can do and what HS or my plugin can do. Firefox has the ability to distribute binaries that support the TLS ciphers used by the new Total Connect Comfort Portal certificate/server configuration, but if the .NET libraries on your machine can't do it, then I'm at their mercy.

I now think this is also affecting all my linux/unix users, too, since mono doesn't support Diffie-Hellman ciphers at all, and all of a sudden that's all that Honeywell allows, so I'm looking at other options besides the built-in .NET stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X