This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices not being created

I have activated the plugin. Under options my T-stat was listed. The values have not updated. No devices have been created. Log file attached.

I am using the MHK1 Honeywell kit t-stat & receiver connected via a RedLink Gateway.
    Attached Files

It looks like the plugin thinks you have 2 thermostats, with ID's "0" and "5005471". On your "Thermostats" page, what's showing there? I see it executing "UpdateValue" which means it thinks it has devices to update... but since the log file is not at the Trace level, I can't tell what device refs it thinks it has.

Can you please review the "Having trouble? Follow these steps first." sticky in this forum and provide all the requested info so I can look into this properly? Thanks and sorry you're having trouble!

Comment

Hello shill,

HS Version 3.0.0.534
      Plugin Version 1.4.0
      Problem: My t-stat shows in the list "Main Floor". I select it and after 1-2 mins I have values for heat & cool set points min/max. That's all that happens. I cannot find any devices created. How will these be listed under FLOOR?
      HS3 Server OS: Win 10 Pro 10.0.17763 SP:0
      T-stat model: Honeywell MHK1 Kit (MIFH1 Receiver, MCCH1 Controller) connected vis Redlink Gateway THM6000R70001
      Log file: attached zipped.
      Date dump: no devices created. (where do I look for devices?)
      Attached Files

Comment

Based on the log file, you should have the following devices:

Device Ref Value Status
        Main Floor Root Device 2935 1 Connected
        Status 2936 1 Success
        Indoor Temp 2943 76 76
        Hold Type 2944 2 Permanent
        Cool Setpoint 2938 75 75
        Heat Setpoint 2939 70 70
        System Mode 2940 2 Cool
        Operating Mode 2942 2 Cool
        Operating Status 2941 0 Idle

By default, the Root Device and Status Device (the first two that are created when you add a thermostat) are created without location or location2 set, and when the child devices are created (after the first successful update or if device capabilities change), they are created with the same location and location2 values as the root device.

I suspect you've got your device list filtered by location 1, location 2, and/or device type so that they're not showing.

Comment

Might they be under ROOM "unknown" or "not set"?

Comment

I found the devices under "not set". Everything seems to be there. The Operating Status appears to read "idle" even when the outside compressor is ON (cooling). That may be a function of the MHK1 kit equipment. I will do some testing by forcing the unit to cool to see if this changes.

I am still getting these messages in the HS log...about every 5 mins....
            Jul-20 9:34:09 PM Honeywell WiFi Thermostat [------]Error retrieving data: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.
            Jul-20 9:29:06 PM Honeywell WiFi Thermostat [------]Failed to retrieve thermostat data - error occurred, will retry

I think it still may think there is a second t-stat that is not registered.

Comment

Under Plug-in Status is "INFO: 1 thermostat not ready yet"

Comment

Originally posted by cbabkirk View Post
                I found the devices under "not set". Everything seems to be there. The Operating Status appears to read "idle" even when the outside compressor is ON (cooling). That may be a function of the MHK1 kit equipment. I will do some testing by forcing the unit to cool to see if this changes.

I am still getting these messages in the HS log...about every 5 mins....
                Jul-20 9:34:09 PM Honeywell WiFi Thermostat [------]Error retrieving data: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.
                Jul-20 9:29:06 PM Honeywell WiFi Thermostat [------]Failed to retrieve thermostat data - error occurred, will retry

I think it still may think there is a second t-stat that is not registered.
                Originally posted by cbabkirk View Post
                Under Plug-in Status is "INFO: 1 thermostat not ready yet"
                If you stop the plugin and restart it, does it say "INFO: 2 thermostats not ready yet"?

There may be another faulty root device out there. Can you filter the device list by device type "Thermostat"? If there are two, delete the bad one (NOT the one with the ref of "2935"). If you don't see it, please put the plugin back to TRACE and stop and restart it again and give it 2 minutes then send me that log file, please.

Comment

So, yes. Having made no changes yet, when the plug-in was restarted, it did say "INFO: 2 thermostats not ready yet". Waiting a minute or so it converted to "INFO: 1 thermostat not ready yet"

I went back into the "Not Set" ROOM and found two devices that were in the same 29xx reference range and showed that they were associated with the Honeywell plug-in. I deleted them. The message "INFO: 1 thermostats not ready yet" disappeared after a minute or so. There are no more error messages in the HS log. I think we are all set.

I will keep an eye on the "Operating Status" device as it has not updated/changed since yesterday and the Heat Pump has been delivering A/C as the outside temps here are about 96'. Perhaps this is suppose to tell me something different but I expect it to tell me when the unit is either operating or idle.

I also purchased your plug-in via the Plug-Ins > Manage dashboard using the Register Online option. That was yesterday. Do you know if perhaps it takes a day or two to show a license? I received a confirmation with my new license number but still does not show in the Plug-in Status column. Still shows I have 10 days left on the trial.

Thanks for all your help especially over a weekend.

Comment

That was an easy fix . Regarding the operating status, yes, it should say "Cooling" (or "Heating"). If you can grab a trace log off an update that happened while it was definitely running, I can tell you what Honeywell is telling me. If I'm getting it wrong, I can fix it. If they're not telling me anything I can use, there's nothing I can do about that and may be a factor of the gateway vs a directly controllable thermostat being in place.

Comment

Which of these parameters are you pulling the Operating Status from? [ -1=unknown, 0=idle, 1=heat, 2=Cool ]

[5005471]Retrieved Data: Indoor Temp: 75 Cool Setpoint: 75 Heat Setpoint: 70 Fan Mode: Auto Fan Operating: False System Mode: Cool Operating Mode: Cool Operating Status: Idle Indoor Humidity: 128 Outdoor Temp: 128 Outdoor Humidity: 128 JSON data: {"success":true, "deviceLive":true, "communicationLost":false, "latestData":{"uiData":{"DispTemperature":75, "HeatSetpoint":70, "CoolSetpoint":75, "DisplayUnits":"F", "StatusHeat":2, "StatusCool":2, "HoldUntilCapable":false, "ScheduleCapable":false, "VacationHold":0, "DualSetpointStatus":false, "HeatNextPeriod":88, "CoolNextPeriod":88, "HeatLowerSetptLimit":63, "HeatUpperSetptLimit":83, "CoolLowerSetptLimit":67, "CoolUpperSetptLimit":87, "ScheduleHeatSp":70, "ScheduleCoolSp":75, "SwitchAutoAllowed":true, "SwitchCoolAllowed":true, "SwitchOffAllowed":true, "SwitchHeatAllowed":true, "SwitchEmergencyHeatAllowed":false, "SystemSwitchPosition":3, "Deadband":3, "IndoorHumidity":128, "DeviceID":5005471, "Commercial":false, "DispTemperatureAvailable":true, "IndoorHumiditySensorAvailable":false, "IndoorHumiditySensorNotFault":true, "VacationHoldUntilTime":0, "TemporaryHoldUntilTime":0, "IsInVacationHoldMode":false, "VacationHoldCancelable":false, "SetpointChangeAllowed":true, "OutdoorTemperature":128, "OutdoorHumidity":128, "OutdoorHumidityAvailable":false, "OutdoorTemperatureAvailable":false, "DispTemperatureStatus":0, "IndoorHumidStatus":128, "OutdoorTempStatus":128, "OutdoorHumidStatus":128, "OutdoorTemperatureSensorNotFault":true, "OutdoorHumiditySensorNotFault":true, "CurrentSetpointStatus":2, "EquipmentOutputStatus":null}, "fanData":{"fanMode":null, "fanModeAutoAllowed":false, "fanModeOnAllowed":false, "fanModeCirculateAllowed":false, "fanModeFollowScheduleAllowed":false, "fanIsRunning":null}, "hasFan":false, "canControlHumidification":false, "drData":{"CoolSetpLimit":null, "HeatSetpLimit":null, "Phase":-1, "OptOutable":false, "DeltaCoolSP":null, "DeltaHeatSP":null, "Load":null}}, "alerts":"\r\n\r\n"}

If I put HS log into Debug, I should be able to see a change in here someplace when I go from idle to cooling ?

Comment

There's supposed to be, but I actually discovered a problem in my logging logic around updating values while investigating your issue this weekend, so the debug log only says something if it's NOT changing.

The Operating Status comes from "EquipmentOutputStatus", which is null in your data above, unfortunately.

Comment

Good morning,

I suspected that was the parameter you might be using and the fact that it was "null" meant probably no future for seeing an operating status coming from this thermostat. It would be useful to see if anyone following this thread, and also is using the MHK1 kit as their thermostat, does see an operating status value in their device list. It might suggest that the gateway might be the issue. I know that, on the display of my thermostat, I never see an indication of "what the system is doing"; no indication of operating versus idle. I need to walk to the sun room and physically look at the outdoor unit to see if the fan is rotating.

So, in the spirit of Yankee ingenuity, there is a path forward. I can detect if the system is in either cooling or heating mode(your plug-in). So if I can detect if the outside unit is using watts above the level of "idle" (10 watts), I can assume that the system is operating. Since I can measure the power usage of the air handler and the compressor unit, I can tell if they are "operating". I already have a script, that worked with the old ducted heat pump system, and does a bunch of evaluating including which system ( heat pump or boiler) should be operating dependent on outside temps, I can pair the mode with the usage value and assume it is actually cooling or heating based on wattage of the compressor unit. It turns out for this heat pump the air handler is "always on" at low speeds as a recirculate function to keep temps around the house balanced. So I can't use power usage of the air handler as an indicator. I will just create a new Current Status device, add it to the Honeywell group, and have the script update it frequently.

So I think we are done here. Thanks for all your help and advice. Your plug-in is a great solution that will allow me to monitor the "behavior" of this new ducted heat pump system. Not that I am anxious for winter to arrive but remain interested in how this system will behave in really cold temps. I will be especially interested if I will be able to tell when it goes into defrost mode and how long it maintains that mode.

p.s. Do I need to contact HS about the license issue?

Comment

Measuring the watts is a clever solution!

Regarding the license, you should have received an email almost immediately after you purchased that contains the license info (basically user/password) that you input on the "Register" screen via the Manage Plugins page. If you haven't received that, you'll need to contact HS.

Comment

Just got off the phone with HS. I forgot the "register online" step. We're all set.

Comment

Working...
                              X