Brand New Install, A Few Issues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand New Install, A Few Issues....

Hello, I just initiated this Plug-In for my Honeywell RTH6500. It appears to be working, but I have a few questions....
    1. Why does the status for the root device continually read "Unknown"?
    2. What is the difference between "Operating Mode" and "System Mode"? Is that something that would only make sense if I had the "Auto" capability? (More on that later).
    3. I note that there are controls for Setpoint +1 and -1; but no corresponding Actions? Does that mean I can't tell Alexa, "Set Temperature down 1 degree" or up 2 degrees, or whatever? Sorry to say, this is very close to a dealbreaker. Which is a shame, because overall the plug-in is well done, and especially the documentation, which others should use as a template! (Yes, friends, spelling and grammar count!) I had this capability with my old Insteon thermostat, and it actually worked ~80% of the time. I really don't want my wife to have run downstairs, or get on her phone, to change the temp. And "Set temperature to 74 degrees" is of no use, if you don't know what the current setting is.
    Any help and advice on these issues appreciated!

Thanks.

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

I'm testing the plugin with my new Honeywell TH8321WF1001 (which replaced my Nest when I got a new HVAC system installed this week).

1. I'm seeing the same "Unknown" status for the root device

2. According to the documentation, “System Mode” shows what the setting is (“Cool”, “Heat”, “Auto” or “Off”) and “Operating Mode” shows the mode the unit is currently working in for those using Auto or Simulated Auto mode. So I assume this means if "System Mode" shows "Auto" then "Operating Mode" would show Cool or Heat.

My "Operating Status" is showing "Cooling" even though the system is currently Idle. I'm going to wait and see if that changes, maybe it just hasn't updated yet. Update: it did finally switch to Idle.

So far the plug-in looks good! Even though I find the TH8321WF1001 not a nice-looking as the Nest (and the app/web site isn't that great either) I'm excited that I'm able to link my thermostat into my Homeseer ecosystem now.

Comment

Sorry JimSpy , was on vacation back in July and this must have scrolled too far down in my inbox!

The "Unknown" status for the root device is because the switch from HS3 -> HS4 meant root devices couldn't have values, and I apparently have a bit of a hole there for some case that allows it to get set even though it shouldn't. I'm almost done with the HS4 version of this plugin so that should go away.

As far as the switch for System Mode vs. Operating Mode, this is purely based on what I receive back from Honeywell. I think it is actually possible for the system to be "Off" but still "Cooling" because of a minimum amount of time it runs once asked for cooling, but I'm not certain about that...

For the +1/-1 w/ Alexa, there is no voice command supported for that, so there's no way to do that with any thermostat. The beauty of HS, though, is that (assuming Alexa allows you to run events, too - I use GH, which does) you can set it up to run an event in response to a custom command. So create a "+1" event in HS, enable it for discover by Alexa, then set up your text phrase to trigger it.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
        For the +1/-1 w/ Alexa, there is no voice command supported for that, so there's no way to do that with any thermostat.
        I have the TCC skill for Alexa enabled (was playing with it before installing your plugin) and I was able to say "Alexa, turn the thermostat down 2 degrees" and she responded properly, even saying what the new temp was.

For example, the thermostat was set to 78. I said "Alexa, turn the thermostat up 2 degrees" and she responded "The thermostat is set to 80 degrees" and I saw the setpoint on my thermostat change accordingly. Then I said "Alexa, set the temperature on the thermostat down 4 degrees" and she responded "The thermostat is set to 76 degrees."

Comment

Yeah, if you use the Honeywell skill for voice control instead of Homeseer you'll have different options.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
            Yeah, if you use the Honeywell skill for voice control instead of Homeseer you'll have different options.
            Yes, I'm having the same good behavior going through the Total Comfort Control (or whatever it is). I guess I don't really need the HS Events; I do still appreciate being able to monitor the thermostat through the HS Device page. So we're good. Thanks.

Jim Speiser
            38-year veteran of Home Automation
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
            X