Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Problems? Follow these steps first.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having Problems? Follow these steps first.

While I certainly aim to have bug-free software, the inevitable glitch in computer programming is almost a certainty given enough users and enough time. And so this plugin comes with a couple of features that will help you help me if you do run into a problem.

Here's what works best, assuming your situation allows for this:

1. Turn your file logging to TRACE.
    Note that there are 2 log settings: the HomeSeer Log level and the Plugin Log level. For the purposes of me understanding what's happening, I need the Plugin Log (a text file written to your Logs subdirectory under your HS3 installation folder).

If you can't get to that screen because of a problem with startup or the config page itself, you can always disable the plugin, open the plugin's INI file (in the Config subdirectory) and set the value of LogLevelFile to 6, then start the plugin back up.

2. Capture the offending behavior.
    Stop and restart the plugin, and make sure you give the plugin time to get started up and wait at least 30 seconds for the first update to go through before you try issuing commands - this insures I'll have the necessary data to understand your thermostat's status in the log file.

3. Turn the log file level back to your preferred setting.
    Turning logging up to TRACE will definitely have an impact on performance, so be sure and turn it back off once you've captured the offending behavior.

4. Download the log file.
    You can either copy it from your HS3 Logs directory (HSPI_SKWARE_HW_WIFI_TSTAT.log) or use the "Download Log File" button on the Plugin's Config page under the "Options" tab (right below where you change the log level).

5. Zip up the log file.
    It could be pretty big, depending on how long you had to run it to catch the problem in the act.

6. Provide a data dump from your thermostat. (If your thermostat has updated at least once.)
    On your primary thermostat device that the plugin created, go into the properties and copy the data from the "Honeywell WiFi Thermostat" tab. There's a good chance this is included in the log file if you followed the instructions above, but better safe than sorry and this also lets me see how HomeSeer is handling the data it receives.

7. Post your problem.
    Create a new thread in this forum for your problem, and include the following:
    • HS Version
    • Plugin version
    • Description of the problem
    • HS3 Server OS
    • Thermostat model
    • Log file
    • Data dump (if your thermostat has updated at least once)

I'll work with you on the issue, and once resolved, will close the thread.

Thanks in advance for helping me help you!
    Last edited by shill; September 1, 2018, 02:20 PM.

Starting Over

If you've run into a problem where the plugin seems to keep a thermostat around but you think you've gotten rid of it, it probably means the devices were created but you've perhaps uninstalled the plugin and then tried reinstalling it, or an error occurred while you were trying to remove a thermostat, etc.

To get rid of any registered thermostats, simply disable the plugin then delete all the devices it created and then start the plugin back up again and you'll have a clean slate in terms of thermostats.

To really start from scratch, follow the same steps but delete the HSPI_SKWARE_WIFI_TSTAT.ini file from your HS3\Config directory before starting it up again and all your settings will be gone as well!

Comment

Working...
    X