Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this plug-in play well with the Alexa Plug-in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this plug-in play well with the Alexa Plug-in?

Had a serial connected thermostat for years connected to HS1 and HS2. Wanted a WIFI based one so got one of the Honeywells off the list. Don't have HS3 in production yet and was wondering if anyone has this plug-in and is using the Alexa plug-in. If so, do the two work together? Can you query Alexa about the current temp? Can you change the temp via Alexa?

I have the Honeywell 9580 wi-fi tstat, and I have Alexa working. I can tell you Alexa does NOT find the thermostat when it does a device search.

Comment

Originally posted by prnorton View Post
      I have the Honeywell 9580 wi-fi tstat, and I have Alexa working. I can tell you Alexa does NOT find the thermostat when it does a device search.
      I'm in the process of trying to apply the (highly confusing) thermostat device API so homeseer will report the thermostat correctly to HSTouch and through Alexa (I hope).

However, there are some challenges with this. For starters, the built-in HSTouch climate page assumes all thermostats everywhere in the world have an "Auto" mode, which many do not. I cannot overcome this limitation in HSTouch.

Also, most thermostats carry both a "cool setpoint" and "heat setpoint", and when I created my plugin originally, I chose to hide that distinction for those that do not have an Auto mode, since there's always only one "active" setpoint anyway. Unfortunately, this is also in direct conflict with the way the HomeSeer logic works.

So for the current version the answer is no, and hopefully the upcoming version should work fairly well if you happen to have a thermostat with the "Auto" mode. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing for those of us who do not have that mode, though...

Comment

Originally posted by prnorton View Post
        I have a 9320. I knew it wasn't going to work natively with Alexa like a Nest would. I am just curious if it is possible to query the Honeywell plug-in with the Alexa plug-in....

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
          ....So for the current version the answer is no, and hopefully the upcoming version should work fairly well if you happen to have a thermostat with the "Auto" mode. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing for those of us who do not have that mode, though...
          Sounds promising! Is this days away? Weeks? Months? Not being critical in any way. Just trying to figure out what I am going to do now. I may just forget HS3 for Thermostat control and use a thermostat that natively works with Alexa....

Comment

Some time in the next week or two, probably.

Comment

So if our T-stat doesn't have the auto mode, only heat or cool, it sounds like getting the t-stat API applied isn't going to really work? I don't know that it is a huge problem as I have worked around in imperihome and hst by using the device settings but it would be really nice to utilize the t-stat api to use some of the stock features. just my .02

I do understand hand challenging all of these different devices are to get to work together so thanks for your efforts

Comment

So I did just find with my t-stat that I an change between manual and automatic under the installer menus so it will run as either fully automatic vs heat or cool. Not sure how that shows up in the API and webside but it is interesting.

Comment

Honeywell Plugin and IFTTT

I read this thread and saw there were still issues with the interface between the plugin and the Amazon Echo so I thought I'd try a different approach. I attempted to define an IFTTT recipe to turn off my system. The native IFTTT interface with Honeywell doesn't appear to allow OFF, just switch between Heat and Cool. So I tried to use the IFTTT/HomeSeer interface. All the thermostat functions show up as part of the DO/Action selections but when it says "Please Select a thermostat", the pull down box is empty. Is there something wrong with this aspect of the plugin or am I just missing something fundamental?

Comment

Originally posted by scbuzz View Post
                    I read this thread and saw there were still issues with the interface between the plugin and the Amazon Echo so I thought I'd try a different approach. I attempted to define an IFTTT recipe to turn off my system. The native IFTTT interface with Honeywell doesn't appear to allow OFF, just switch between Heat and Cool. So I tried to use the IFTTT/HomeSeer interface. All the thermostat functions show up as part of the DO/Action selections but when it says "Please Select a thermostat", the pull down box is empty. Is there something wrong with this aspect of the plugin or am I just missing something fundamental?
                    This is tied up in the issue with not implementing the thermostat API. But I've been working on it this weekend and have system mode, fan mode, system status, fan status, and temperature working. So I don't expect it to be too long now.

I'm trying to find a way to do the upgrade without forcing you to re program all your events, but since the HomeSeer values for system mode don't line up with Honeywell's, that might not be possible.

Comment

This is tied up in the issue with not implementing the thermostat API. But I've been working on it this weekend and have system mode, fan mode, system status, fan status, and temperature working. So I don't expect it to be too long now.

I'm trying to find a way to do the upgrade without forcing you to re program all your events, but since the HomeSeer values for system mode don't line up with Honeywell's, that might not be possible.
                      Cool. Thanks. I'll wait for the update. As for re-programming events, that's not an issue for me since I've just started kicking the tires on all this (transitioning from JDS Stargate to HS3).

Comment

my .02 but I don't mind having to tweak events for the added functionality on upgrade.

Comment

Almost there!

My current development work supports the HomeSeer Thermostat API and works properly with HSTouch and IFTTT (which uses the same infrastructure to discover which devices/values perform which tasks), but right now all I can do with the Echo is change the Fan mode to "on"...

Comment

Almost there!

My current development work supports the HomeSeer Thermostat API and works properly with HSTouch and IFTTT (which uses the same infrastructure to discover which devices/values perform which tasks), but right now all I can do with the Echo is change the Fan mode to "on"...
                            Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong then. I tried to go the IFTTT route. I selected "Alexa" for the "if this" part and defined the trigger as "thermostat off" and for the "that" part I selected Homeseer and scrolled thru the choices and selected "Change a thermostat's operating mode to off". On the next screen where it states "Please select thermostat", the pulldown menu has no choices.
                            Do I not have something registered correctly? Are there specific Floor,Room definitions that I need to adhere to for the device to recognized throughout the various subsystems? Currently, it's defined as "Floor -> Thermostat, "Room -> Hall".

Comment

Originally posted by scbuzz View Post
                              Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong then. I tried to go the IFTTT route. I selected "Alexa" for the "if this" part and defined the trigger as "thermostat off" and for the "that" part I selected Homeseer and scrolled thru the choices and selected "Change a thermostat's operating mode to off". On the next screen where it states "Please select thermostat", the pulldown menu has no choices.
                              Do I not have something registered correctly? Are there specific Floor,Room definitions that I need to adhere to for the device to recognized throughout the various subsystems? Currently, it's defined as "Floor -> Thermostat, "Room -> Hall".
                              Sorry if I wasn't clear: that's in my current development version... which I want to get working correctly with the Echo before I release it.

Comment

Working...
                              X