Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Required Steps for ARM Users (Pi, Zee S2, etc.) -- Deprecated as of version 1.2.2

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kf6dlq
    replied
    Yes, that worked, it installed some packages, and I have just finished with "sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/" command
    without issues

Now the long last two, will let you know. Thank you for the help! Hopefully this works, really looking forward to using your product!

Lyle

Leave a comment:

• srodgers
    replied
    Originally posted by shill View Post
    If you're using an ARM-based device on a debian-based OS (like raspbian), the version of Mono that's included in the repository (3.2.8) is a bit out of date and has a significant defect relating to making web requests that prevents this plugin from working.

First, check what version of Mono you're running and verify you have the broken version:

Code:
    root@sydney:~# mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-10)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    The defect was fixed in 3.8, but packages for ARM processors aren't available in the snapshot repository for anything above 3.2.8, so there are no easy command line tools you can use to get these. There is a way to upgrade to a newer 4.X version using apt, but HomeSeer doesn't work with Mono 4.X yet, so you can't use that approach either.

The only approach I've been able to find that seems to resolve this problem is to compile Mono 3.12.1 from source yourself. It's actually very easy, but it will take somewhere around 10-12+ hours (depending on what you've set your clock speed to with raspi-config).
    Not so I just setup a new RPi3 this weekend and have mono 4.2.3.4.

I have HSPro3 .291 Windows and a Windows backup config and imported into a Linux RPi3 running HSPro3 .291 running 4.2.3.4 Mono. See my posting here explaining some problems with the import of backup data from Windows to Linux.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...&postcount=231

Basic process was this:

Code:
    Downloaded Jessie RPi3 from the Raspberry site and setup SD card: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

then 

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy-apache24-compat main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy-libjpeg62-compat main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mono-complete
    sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc
    sudo apt-get update

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.3 (Stable 4.2.3.4/832de4b Wed Mar 16 13:34:50 UTC 2016)

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ vbnc
    Visual Basic.Net Compiler version 0.0.0.5943 (Mono 4.0.1 - tarball)
    Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge. All rights reserved.

installed HS3Pro Linux in /usr/local/Homeseer
    sudo tar xfv hs3_linux_3_0_0_291.tar.gz
    After I got every thing running I followed a few other tips I found in the forums like installing screen and Webmin. Of course this is with a new setup not upgrading any existing setup on a Zee.

Might try backing up config form one HS setup and importing it to a newer one running a newer Mono and see if it works rather than just copy over older db that get hung up on different mono incompatibilities.

Leave a comment:

• shill
    replied
    Originally posted by kf6dlq View Post
    Yep, it did.

homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2 /usr/local/src/mono-3.12.1 $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    cli-common
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 99 not upgraded.

Had to put the config.txt into doc format. Website having issues uploading txt files which is kind of strange. Thank you for your help.

Lyle
    I'm thinking this is the issue:

Code:
    In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:28:0,
                     from conftest.c:11:
    /usr/include/features.h:356:25: fatal error: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or directory
    Some research pointed to a need for libc6 and libc6-dev, so try this and see if it installs some new stuff:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6 libc6-dev

Leave a comment:

• kf6dlq
    replied
    Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    If it installs something, that's a good sign. If it says it's already the newest version, that means I need to keep looking...
    Yep, it did.

homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2 /usr/local/src/mono-3.12.1 $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    cli-common
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 99 not upgraded.

Had to put the config.txt into doc format. Website having issues uploading txt files which is kind of strange. Thank you for your help.

Lyle
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• shill
    replied
    Try this:

Code:
    If it installs something, that's a good sign. If it says it's already the newest version, that means I need to keep looking...
    Also, what does "config.log" say?

Leave a comment:

• shill
    replied
    Try this:

Code:

Leave a comment:

• kf6dlq
    replied
    Got all the way to here, and am stuck. Any Ideas?

Your instructions so far are perfect, except I had to use sudo in front of wget. Here is the error.

homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2 /usr/local/src/mono-3.12.1 $ sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/
    checking build system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
    checking host system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
    checking target system type... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
    checking whether UID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
    checking whether GID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
    checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
    checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
    checking host platform characteristics... ok
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in `/usr/local/src/mono-3.12.1':
    configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
    If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
    See `config.log' for more details
    homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2 /usr/local/src/mono-3.12.1 $

Leave a comment:

• Required Steps for ARM Users (Pi, Zee S2, etc.) -- Deprecated as of version 1.2.2

As of 4/30/2018, these instructions are no longer required. Please see this post for Linux users instead!

If you're using an ARM-based device on a debian-based OS (like raspbian), the version of Mono that's included in the repository (3.2.8) is a bit out of date and has a significant defect relating to making web requests that prevents this plugin from working.

First, check what version of Mono you're running and verify you have the broken version:

Code:
    root@sydney:~# mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-10)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    The defect was fixed in 3.8, but packages for ARM processors aren't available in the snapshot repository for anything above 3.2.8, so there are no easy command line tools you can use to get these. There is a way to upgrade to a newer 4.X version using apt, but HomeSeer doesn't work with Mono 4.X yet, so you can't use that approach either.

The only approach I've been able to find that seems to resolve this problem is to compile Mono 3.12.1 from source yourself. It's actually very easy, but it will take somewhere around 4-6+ hours (depending on what you've set your clock speed to with raspi-config).

Here are the steps I followed (adapted from this guide) on my Raspberry Pi:
    1. BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM! Make a backup copy of your SD card before you do anything; I do not want to be responsible for you crashing your HS3 machine!
    2. Execute the following commands on your Pi:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove mono-* libmono*
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install libc6 libc6-dev libtool libglib2.0-dev libxrender-dev libfontconfig1-dev libpng12-dev libgif-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff5-dev libexif-dev gettext libcairo2-dev libgdiplus
      cd /usr/local/src
      sudo wget http://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/mono-3.12.1.tar.bz2
      sudo tar -jxvf mono-3.12.1.tar.bz2
      cd mono-3.12.1
      sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/
      sudo SKIP_AOT=true make
      sudo SKIP_AOT=true make install
    3. Check that "mono --version" shows you now have 3.12.1 installed (may require you to log out and back in again).
    4. Add VB support:
      Code:
      cd /usr/local/src
      sudo wget -O mono-basic-3.8.tar.gz https://github.com/mono/mono-basic/archive/3.8.tar.gz 
      sudo tar -zvf mono-basic-3.8.tar.gz
      cd mono-basic-3.8
      sudo ./configure
      sudo make
      sudo make install
    5. Check that "vbnc" runs and shows you now have "Visual Basic.Net Compiler version 0.0.0.5943 (Mono 3.8 - tarball)" installed (will complain you didn't give it anything to do, which is ok).
    6. Remove any extra Xamarin repositories from your /etc/apt/source.list.d (in case you've tried to upgrade previously).

I do not have a Zee (or even a true armhf Raspberry Pi2) to test this on, but I hope it helps those of you trying to use this plugin on your servers!

Update: Thanks to kf6dlq, who ran through and helped troubleshoot these instructions, it looks like this is going to solve the problem without breaking HS3.
    Last edited by shill; May 4, 2018, 12:34 PM.
Working...
X