Some Honeywell Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Honeywell Newbie Questions

I'm looking to add a wifi-based thermostat. I'm considering the RTH9580WF and this plug in to replace 5 thermostats.

I'm concerned about delays caused by the thermostat sending data outside of my house to a website, which this plug in then fetches. Does that cause any meaningful delays between when temperature, humidity, or set points change and when they are recognized by Homeseer? Are changes made by Homeseer instantly recognized by the thermostats?

Is it possible for Homeseer to control the wifi thermostat if external internet access is down? I'm thinking about a vacation house where storm knocks out internet access. I'd like a plug in to be able to warm up the house if there is a deep freeze (generator power) even if no external internet access is available.

Lastly, while I'm thinking about the RTH9580WF, if users feel there is a better model please comment. I'd like to show outside temperature, either from a Homeseer variable or directly from the internet. A weather forecast would be a bonus but not necessary.

Thanks to the community for help/advice/guidance
    Jono

Unfortunately, the Honeywell thermostats are 100% dependent on the internet for everything but physical access.

Comment

Thanks Shill. Do you know of any wifi thermostats that communicate locally?

Can you share how long it takes for the Honeywell models to update Homeseer and vice versa?

Comment

Maybe Honeywell's Zwave Tstat

Originally posted by jono View Post
        I'm looking to add a wifi-based thermostat. I'm considering the RTH9580WF and this plug in to replace 5 thermostats.

I'm concerned about delays caused by the thermostat sending data outside of my house to a website, which this plug in then fetches. Does that cause any meaningful delays between when temperature, humidity, or set points change and when they are recognized by Homeseer? Are changes made by Homeseer instantly recognized by the thermostats?

Is it possible for Homeseer to control the wifi thermostat if external internet access is down? I'm thinking about a vacation house where storm knocks out internet access. I'd like a plug in to be able to warm up the house if there is a deep freeze (generator power) even if no external internet access is available.

Lastly, while I'm thinking about the RTH9580WF, if users feel there is a better model please comment. I'd like to show outside temperature, either from a Homeseer variable or directly from the internet. A weather forecast would be a bonus but not necessary.

Thanks to the community for help/advice/guidance
        Jono
        I am using Honeywell's Z-Wave Tstat
        https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTH.../dp/B005EJ7YO2
        about 7 months now. Has worked flawlessly. I have access through myHomeseer and HStouch for Android. Of course HomeSeer does not need internet to work just a local network and power. If internet is down you wouldn't be able to monitor or control but events still happen and affect settings.

You could setup events based on outside temp. I use a great free plugin WeatherXML. Setup the devices, one of which could be current temp. Then monitor the device and if the temp falls below your preset point have it tell the thermostat to turn on. You could do a lot with events. See rprade's posts about events especially heating he is king of events. Sparkman contributes a lot also and knows his way around events also. Check out his posts. Both have been very helpful to me.

Regarding a generator not sure what to do there but again I think rprade and Sparkman could give some good advice.

Good luck!

Chuck

Comment

Working...
        X