Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venstar reads 2 degrees every so often...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venstar reads 2 degrees every so often...

I have 7 insteon thermostats. Five are venstars with adapters, 2 are wireless Smarthome. I use the latter as humidity sensors and outdoor temperature sensors.
    I have a problem where the venstars, upon polling will deliver an incorrect value to the plug in. The incorrect value is always 2 degrees. It happens on multiple ventstar thermostats. Upon re-polling, the plug in receives the correct value.
    I am going to write a simple event that if the temperature reading on a venstar is 2 degrees, then re-poll the thermostat producing that value.
    For most of my thermostats, 2 degrees is an obviously bad value. However, I have an Insteon external thermostat, where in my geography it can be a legitimate value.
    Perhaps in the next version of the plug in, there could be different ranges permitted depending on each thermostat, or whether the thermostat is inside or outside, or whether it is a venstar or not. Right now, the permitted values are for all thermostats.

I'm curious why the Venstar thermostats would be reporting a value of 2 degrees during a poll. I can only guess it might be due to differences in firmware etc. I use a Venstar with the adapter for my primary thermostat and haven't seen that myself but I don't often poll it.

Are you using the wireless insteon with an external sensor to get outdoor readings? The normal operating environment for that thermostat is indoor 39-104 F but they don't mention the external sensor ranges. I know it does go below zero F as I use one to monitor freezer temps.

I'm wondering if instead of having to track ranges per thermostat, if perhaps we could have a set of valid ranges for internal vs external sensors? Each thermostat has Temp (the internal sensor) but only those with a config check box on External Temp create and track the "Ext Temp" device. So far it has just used the same valid ranges as Temp but sounds like we now need ExtTemp valid range settings?

Nathan
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Hi Nathan,
      Thanks for writing back. A separate range for external thermostats would solve the problem. Please let me know if I can beta test.
      I have a house with a large amount of insteon traffic. Not sure if that makes a difference when polling is occurring but perhaps traffic interference leads to the 2 degree reading. This only occurs on the Venstar which are all internal temp readings.
      Also, can you please guide me as to whether I should be be using group commands for 5 thermostats or individual commands separated by 10 seconds. When I return the house to comfortable temps in the summer, I stagger the commands so all my compressors don't kick on at the same moment. In the winter that isn't an issue. I know with lighting, group commands tend to have better fidelity because of group clean up. Is that the case with thermostats operating on insteon commands as well?

Comment

I have posted an update to the beta updater with version 3.0.6.0. If you haven't used the beta updater, just look at the regular updater near the bottom for the Beta section and this plugin is in there. This update includes adding ranges for the external temps. It also had to included an option to actually restrict device value updates if they are outside the low/high bounds. I made this a checkbox on the config page just under the bounds for the temps. By default this is not enabled which is how it worked previously. The bounds were more about restricting setpoint values or providing high/low values for dropboxes on the status page. They didn't previously provide actual restraint on device value updates from the hardware/polling like you've asked for temps.

I do ask you do some testing with this as I haven't done a lot yet but wanted to get this to you (it is beta). Check the box to limit device updates and set valid Temp bounds so your internal Venstars that occasionally report 2 degrees should not actually update the values in the plugin. Make sure Temp logging is checked in the config page so that you can see the temp update messages. If an update comes in outside the valid range, you should see a slightly different message showing the value but indicating it is SKIPPING the update. You can confirm this was skipped by looking at the temp or ext temp devices in homeseer and seeing they did not change.

As for the Insteon commands, this plugin uses direct commands to/from the thermostats. It doesn't set them up in groups. I can't really comment on if groups would be better. You might look at Mark Sandler's forum about his Insteon plugin as all things Insteon are discussed there.

Nathan
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Nathan, one other thing. Every so often I get this message in the log:
          InsteonRcv [ACK 6B 02 01 14 27 FC 21 30 7B 2B 6B FF] The given key was not present in the dictionary.
          Not sure if that is related to the 2 degree reading or not

Comment

Our messages just crossed. Thanks for the beta and I will try it right away.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
              Nathan, one other thing. Every so often I get this message in the log:
              InsteonRcv [ACK 6B 02 01 14 27 FC 21 30 7B 2B 6B FF] The given key was not present in the dictionary.
              Not sure if that is related to the 2 degree reading or not
              I believe that is an ACK to a 6B 02 poll request which is for the thermostat mode. I'm not sure why you would get an error like that. Is there any more to the error in the log like a stack trace?

Nathan
              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
                I believe that is an ACK to a 6B 02 poll request which is for the thermostat mode. I'm not sure why you would get an error like that. Is there any more to the error in the log like a stack trace?

Nathan
                Nothing else in the log. Just the time and the Error type "Insteon Thermostat Error". I don't think it is a big deal. It just happened to occur today and I monitor it in the log monitor. I set that up when I was once having a lot of comms issues with my thermostats.

Incidentally, I found with the venstars that if you have them set on Auto, and if you have a 4 degree separation between heat and cool set points and you try to change one set point that violates the separation, the thermostat won't accept it. So for example if the heat is set at 73 and cool set at 77, and then one wants to move the heat to 74 (which would violate the 4 degree spread) the thermostat won't accept it. So users need to know that in programming they need to change the cool set point to at least 78 before they can change the heat set point to 74.

I doubt this can be incorporated into the plug in, as the offset is set at each thermostat. But it may help users with trouble shooting when communications don't seem to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                  I have 7 insteon thermostats. Five are venstars with adapters, 2 are wireless Smarthome. I use the latter as humidity sensors and outdoor temperature sensors.
                  I have a problem where the venstars, upon polling will deliver an incorrect value to the plug in. The incorrect value is always 2 degrees. It happens on multiple ventstar thermostats. Upon re-polling, the plug in receives the correct value.
                  I am going to write a simple event that if the temperature reading on a venstar is 2 degrees, then re-poll the thermostat producing that value.
                  For most of my thermostats, 2 degrees is an obviously bad value. However, I have an Insteon external thermostat, where in my geography it can be a legitimate value.
                  Perhaps in the next version of the plug in, there could be different ranges permitted depending on each thermostat, or whether the thermostat is inside or outside, or whether it is a venstar or not. Right now, the permitted values are for all thermostats.
                  Nathan, just want to thank you. Since updating to the beta 3.0.6.6 version I have not had a single instance of a bad thermostat reading.

Comment

Great news, thanks for letting me know. Assuming no issues come up, this is the same version that will eventually be moved to the regular (non-beta) updater. No need to update as it'll be the same.

Nathan
                    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                    X