Echo Troubles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo Troubles

Plugin Version=3.0.6.0 (tried 3.0.5.3 as well)
    HS Version 3.0.0.297
    HS Simple Skill

I am trying to add my thermostat to echo and it will only discover the program device. I have Voice command checked and control use "Cool Setpoint" for Cooling as an example. The only device echo discovers is Program.

All i really want to do is say:
    "Alexa, set the thermostat to 65 degrees"

I know i am just missing something but cant figure it out.

Here is a few screen shots that may help

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks Steven
    Attached Files

Steven,

Have you taken a look at the sticky post about Echo support in this forum? Last year I did some work to make the plugin more compatible with Echo usage. This required some virtual device updates (for those running older plugin versions) to set Voice Control on each virtual device. It also required some planning for the Floor, Room, Thermostat device name and finally the individual device names for Mode, Cooling etc. The end result was a "voice path" to access the individual thermostat devices via the Echo Skill offered by Homeseer. That is detailed some in that sticky post. I did try the Echo API integration method where it discovered the devices but had far less luck with that path, at least last year. Unfortunately I never had anyone reply back to the sticky post so am not sure if this worked for those asking for it or not.

Please let me know if you're trying to use the SKILL or API method. If API, then I'll have to do some more testing to see where that support is at now.

Thanks
    Nathan
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Nathan,

I am using the API (I think, its the one you do not have to say tell homeseer).

I did read thru the sticky, I do not think my issue is related to naming and such its more just getting them to show up as devices. I can rename and such once there to make phrase usable.

I think I have everything checked and drop downs populated correctly, but still no luck getting them to discover as devices in echo. I deleted the thermostat in homeseer and re-added leaving everything default except the changes need for echo and still no luck. Only device that shows up is program

You see any issues with my screenshots from earlier post.

Thanks,
      Steven Giles

Comment

Steven,

Please see this post over in the Echo API forum. Another user asked over in that forum effectively the same thing you are asking. I added several links in my reply post. It appears last May (which is after I did my initial echo work) the HS to Echo API changed and HS only returns the root of a thermostat. I assume that means the plugin supporting a thermostat root device has to implement some logic to handle API routed commands to a thermostat. I'll have to see if I can get the details so I can better support the API method of operation.

Nathan
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Ok, here's a quick update. It is confirmed that using the Echo API, only the root thermostat device will be discovered. This is briefly documented in the HS3 SDK at:
          http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...DK/default.htm
          and specifically on this page
          http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...azon_alexa.htm

You can change the name of the HS3 virtual root device from "Program" to something more meaningful like the name of the thermostat. This is the name you will tell Alexa to do something with.

Next, be sure to check your MODE device again. The graphic you posted appears to be correct. However, I did find a bug in the device update that could cause the MODE device to lose the "Control Use" values. I will be posting an update soon that will fix that. For the short term you can update the Mode device directly and be sure Heat is set to Control Use: Thermostat Heat, similar for for Cool and Auto. The Off and Program ones don't appear to matter.

After you give your root device a nice name and verify the MODE device has correct Control Use values set, use the Alexa app to forget / discover devices. That will give you an Echo API device with a nice name.

You can then try these few phrases that I've been able to get working:

Alexa, turn the thermostat down

Depending on the mode of the thermostat, heat or cool, Alexa should respond with "Setting thermostat AC to 84" or "Setting thermostat Heat to 74" In both cases it appears to do a CAPI call to the plugin to set the value to 2 degrees lower than what the virtual device currently shows as the setpoint.

Alexa, set the thermostat to 65 degrees

Again, depending on the mode, Alexa will respond with "Setting thermostat Heat to 65" or "Setting thermostat AC to 65"

I am trying to get other phrases to work. Specifically those trying to turn the setpoints UP (or increase) are not working for me. I haven't had nearly as much luck using the Echo API to control the thermostat as I have with the Homeseer Skill but, unfortunately the skill requires the extra bit "... tell homeseer to..."

Please give this a try and let me know if you can get it working.
          Thanks
          Nathan
          HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Nathan,

So renamed Program to Thermostat and rediscovered for ECHO. Looks like that is working and as it should be. I can issue commands but get "Sorry, the device is not responding. Please check it's network connection and power supply." so it is finding it. I just need to find the right combo of words and I am using auto so its not set to heat or cool which i think is throwing it off as well.

By the way hooked the thermo up to an Insteon hub and it works perfect no matter what mode, you can say "alexia set thermostat to 72" or raise / lower, etc... So there is hope for us on the homeseer side

I will try different modes and phrases tonight and report back.

Thnkas,
            Steven G

Comment

My test system is also using an Insteon hub. My production system is still on a PLM. Both are working now for me and the echo API to varying degrees. The key for me was the mode device was missing the Control Use settings. After adding those back and setting the root device to a nice name then forget/discover, it's working but a bit quirky. I'm glad to know some phrases are working and look forward to hearing what is working well for you.

I have more testing to do. I'm hoping to ask Rich from HST what all phrases are expected to work - if he knows.

Thanks!
              Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
              X