Not able to see external sensor in Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to see external sensor in Homeseer

I installed Nathan Robertson's plugin, and it did register the Insteon 2441ZTH and everything looks good except for one thing. It shows the correct external temp at the top of the thermostat screen, and it has an external device in homeseer, but the temp does not change in homeseer device. It stays at 50 degrees in homeseer and 76 degrees on thermostat.

The main temp is correct on thermostat and homeseer device.

The external temp is the reason I purchased the thermostat. I want to replace a Oregon water probe temp sensor.

Maybe there is a better way to replace the Oregon.

Walt

Hello Walt,

I have three 2441ZTH all with ext temp sensors so I know it can work as expected. I assume you did check the "Has External Sensor" checkbox for the 2441ZTH? When you say the ext temp stays 50 in homeseer is that on the virtual device for the ext temp? That device will be created if you did check that "Has External Sensor" option. You can also use the PLUG-INS->Insteon Thermostat->Insteon Thermostat Status page to see a quick web page status for the thermostat which will also include the ext temp. I'm attaching a small snap of my status page which shows a VenstarT1800 without ext temp and two 2441ZTH with ext temp. The FREEZER one is on a garage freezer and I'm using the ext temp to monitor the internal freezer temp so I can catch it when kids don't quite get it closed and the temp rises. The SPA one is just in an inside room right now so you can see the slight variation between the internal/external sensors (ext temp sensor is down on the floor I think) I did use the SPA one last year to keep an eye on my SPAs cabinet and water temps when I had a motherboard issue with the SPA in the middle of winter (i.e. no heat to spa and freezing weather). This worked well to keep an eye on that.

Take a look at this sticky thread on 2441ZTH If you are running the 2441ZTH solely on batteries, then it's possible not all the setup commands were accepted by the 2441ZTH. I assume you are getting normal temp changes for the main (internal) temp reading? How about humidity? The best solution here is to connect the thermostat to wired power, at least until you know the setup is working correctly.

Nathan
    Attached Files
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
      Hello Walt,

I have three 2441ZTH all with ext temp sensors so I know it can work as expected. I assume you did check the "Has External Sensor" checkbox for the 2441ZTH? When you say the ext temp stays 50 in homeseer is that on the virtual device for the ext temp? That device will be created if you did check that "Has External Sensor" option. You can also use the PLUG-INS->Insteon Thermostat->Insteon Thermostat Status page to see a quick web page status for the thermostat which will also include the ext temp. I'm attaching a small snap of my status page which shows a VenstarT1800 without ext temp and two 2441ZTH with ext temp. The FREEZER one is on a garage freezer and I'm using the ext temp to monitor the internal freezer temp so I can catch it when kids don't quite get it closed and the temp rises. The SPA one is just in an inside room right now so you can see the slight variation between the internal/external sensors (ext temp sensor is down on the floor I think) I did use the SPA one last year to keep an eye on my SPAs cabinet and water temps when I had a motherboard issue with the SPA in the middle of winter (i.e. no heat to spa and freezing weather). This worked well to keep an eye on that.

Take a look at this sticky thread on 2441ZTH If you are running the 2441ZTH solely on batteries, then it's possible not all the setup commands were accepted by the 2441ZTH. I assume you are getting normal temp changes for the main (internal) temp reading? How about humidity? The best solution here is to connect the thermostat to wired power, at least until you know the setup is working correctly.

Nathan
      Thanks for the quick response.

I have checked "Has External Sensor". I was using a 5.0 volt adapter but after reading you material, I am now using a usb power adapter. Approx 5.116 v. It shows "Jul-21 11:22:02 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT EXT TEMP device for: Freezer 3" but does not show in the device list below that.

I have deleted and reinstalled thermostat, did not help.

Problem still not solved. Below is a copy of my log setting up thermostat as Freezer 3.

Jul-21 11:21:59 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT PROGRAM device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:00 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT MODE device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:00 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT FAN device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:00 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT HOLD device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:01 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT HEAT device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:01 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT COOL device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:02 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT TEMP device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:02 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT EXT TEMP device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:02 AM Insteon Thermostat Created new TSTAT HUMIDITY device for: Freezer 3
      Jul-21 11:22:03 AM Insteon Device Freezer 3 (45.83.A0) was not found in the externally registered device list.
      Jul-21 11:22:03 AM Insteon Thermostat Registering Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 with address: 45.83.A0
      Jul-21 11:22:03 AM Insteon External device name Freezer 3 (Address:45.83.A0) has registered as external device #1
      Jul-21 11:22:07 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 protocol = 2
      Jul-21 11:22:08 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 devcat = 050A
      Jul-21 11:22:08 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 version = E
      Jul-21 11:22:16 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Temp = 81
      Jul-21 11:22:16 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Humidity = 48
      Jul-21 11:22:17 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Mode = Heat
      Jul-21 11:22:17 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Heat SetPoint = 60
      Jul-21 11:22:17 AM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Cool SetPoint = 80

Walt

Comment

Let me confirm, you only registered the thermostat via my plugin correct? You didn't add it separately to Mark's Insteon plugin directly right? My plugin registers it as an external device to Mark's plugin and uses that to do the communication to the Insteon network.

You are getting DEVCAT (device category = the type of thermostat), Temp etc. back so it does appear that much is communicating. On the plugin config page, off to the right, there are a few buttons. One is READ LINKS. If you press that and then go look at the HS3 log, you should see something like my log below that I just ran on my freezer 2441ZTH. My log is newest at top so read it bottom up. This should show 6 links between the 2441ZTH and HS3. It does some English interpretation of the links and then it dumps the raw link lines. You should have 6. If you don't, you can try the WRITE LINKS button on the plugin config page to try and reestablish them. you could also delete the thermostat from the plugin, SAVE, then add it back and it will go through the entire initial setup again to create those links. Now that you're on external power that should help complete the process.

Code:
        Jul-21 11:02:40 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER Ext.Temp = -5
        Jul-21 11:02:11 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER: LINK : E2 04 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:11 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER: LINK : A2 EF 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:11 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER: LINK : E2 02 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:11 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER: LINK : E2 03 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:11 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER: LINK : E2 EF 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:11 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER: LINK : E2 01 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:10 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER Other Thermostat Link : A2 EF 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:10 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER Other Thermostat Link : E2 04 14 82 9B 00 00 00
        Jul-21 11:02:10 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER HVAC Fan Report Link PRESENT
        Jul-21 11:02:09 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER HVAC Cool Report Link PRESENT
        Jul-21 11:02:09 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER HVAC Heat Report Link PRESENT
        Jul-21 11:02:09 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	FREEZER Thermostat Settings Report Link PRESENT
        Jul-21 11:02:07 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [FREEZER] [1F] [2F] [00] ((([00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00])))
        Jul-21 11:02:07 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat	Reading links from theremostat: FREEZER

It's been quite a while since I added an external temp sensor to my 2441ZTH. I don't recall having to do anything special to the thermostat to get it to send the external temp readings over the insteon network.

If you hold the external temp sensor in your hand to heat it up, you can observe the values changing on the thermostat display correct?

Nathan
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

I am only registering thermostat from Mark's Plugin.

I have deleted thermostat and reinstalled several times. I tried it several times when I had the 5.0v adapter, and I tried it several times with 5.116v usb adapter.

I can hold the external temp sensor between my fingers and the external temp on the thermostat screen shows the temp going up. When I release, the temp goes down. The ext temp on the homeseer device stays at 50.

Below is my log after reading links. Then I did a Update Links, (I assume that was Write Links) then did another Read Links.

Jul-21 12:20:17 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Thermostat Settings Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:20:18 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 HVAC Heat Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:20:18 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 HVAC Cool Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:20:19 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 HVAC Fan Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:20:19 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Other Thermostat Link : E2 04 3D 97 74 00 00 00
          Jul-21 12:20:19 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Other Thermostat Link : A2 EF 3D 97 74 00 00 00
          Jul-21 12:24:13 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 : Writing links to theremostat.
          Jul-21 12:24:57 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Thermostat Settings Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:24:58 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 HVAC Heat Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:24:58 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 HVAC Cool Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:24:58 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 HVAC Fan Report Link PRESENT
          Jul-21 12:24:59 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Other Thermostat Link : E2 04 3D 97 74 00 00 00
          Jul-21 12:24:59 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 Other Thermostat Link : A2 EF 3D 97 74 00 00 00

Walt

Comment

I don't know what happened, but I went on to my next project and wanted to check thermostat. It is now working.

The external temp on the homeseer device is following the reading on the thermostat.

Thanks

Walt

Comment

Glad it's working Walt. In your previous post you mentioned
              I am only registering thermostat from Mark's Plugin.
              If you did register the thermostat as a device directly in Mark's plugin then that's not correct. You do not want to register the thermostat as a device in Mark's plugin. You use my Insteon Thermostat plugin to register the thermostat and my plugin will use Mark's to communicate to the Insteon network. Hopefully that's what you have going now.

Thanks
              Nathan
              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Sorry. I am bad at names. I tried Marks plugin several days ago and that is when I discovered I would have to get your plugin. I have been using your plugin for several days now.

I did not know you were the Nathan Robertson in nroberson.

Anyway, it is still working. I don't know what fixed though.

Did you go in a backdoor to my system and fix it while I wasn't looking?

Walt

Comment

Hah. If I had that power there'd be no end to support requests

In your post above there is this line
                  Jul-21 12:24:13 PM Insteon Thermostat Freezer 3 : Writing links to thermostat.
                  I assume you used the WRITE LINKS button on the config page. That goes through the same steps as when you first add the thermostat. It has to establish a link table in the thermostat between it and your insteon hub (or PLC/PLM whichever you're using) After that, the thermostat knows to send values for the links that have been created. One of the links is for the external temp sensor. I can only guess the last time links were written it finally worked. Failures like this can be because of the 2441ZTH on-battery so goes to sleep mode issue or possibly due to Insteon communication failures. It's always best to have the 2441ZTH in close range of Insteon devices that do both powerline and RF communication so you know the thermostat is receiving and sending over RF successfully.

Anyway, sounds like you have it working so that's great news. Have a good weekend.

Nathan
                  HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                  X